snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 16 July 2018, 08:24 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I've seen flags hanging on houses/flapping on backs of trucks in worse shape than that, and by people who believe they're being patriotic. :/
I’ll always remember the mud-covered flag I saw flying from the back of a classmate's pickup truck after 9/11. Nothing says "patriot" like going off-roading with Old Glory flapping above the tailgate.

I suppose it is symbolic, in a way, of what patriotism has become in America. Maybe always has been.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:00 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post

To return the nitpick, the organization wasn't full of Nazis, but full of Hydra. Hydra was just as much of an enemy of the Nazis as the Allies were, they were infiltrating and using Hitler's regime, not assisting it. Have you forgotten, "Berlin is on this map!"?
On some level, you are right, but I got in the habit of simplifying the HYDRA/Nazi bit in response to the HYDRA!Cap bit. Because somebody thought “Cap’s celebrating his 75th anniversary? How bout we take a character created by two Jewish guys to serve as never ending Take That against Nazis and fascism, and have it turn out that he was a fascist all along? No one can possibly see this as disrespectful.”

Because the plain and simple truth is that while they may not technically be Nazis, HYDRA has consistently been depicted as fascist organization and there aren’t really a lot of appreciable difference between the two.

I think we can all agree that anytime the Joker is a more moral person than Captain America, is a sign that things really are FUBARed.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:14 AM

IIRC, that arc was supposed to be a middle finger to people who were complaining that the Falcon was the new Captain America.

I'm not actually sure how that was supposed to make sense, but then Marvel also tried to say that Iron Man was supposed to be the good guy in the Civil War event in the comic books, and he was busy sticking heroes in an alternate-dimension Guantanamo Bay style prison simply for refusing to enforce a law.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:12 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I am scarred for life!
I'm sure a good therapist can help you; just send me a bill.

ASL, you're so right! I've seen flags flying from buildings that should have been humanely destroyed ages ago. They're stained, torn, and can barely fly.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:01 PM

And they're out in all weathers, and unlit at night.

But then I've never understood why it's supposed to be patriotic to wear flag patterns on your butt if you're right wing (though it was considered a terrible thing if on a hippie's patched blue jeans).
Old 17 July 2018, 02:09 PM

Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

But then I've never understood why it's supposed to be patriotic to wear flag patterns on your butt if you're right wing (though it was considered a terrible thing if on a hippie's patched blue jeans).

Go figure... On the other hand, better not--you'll give yourself a headache.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:06 PM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
'Cuz it's a right that's gotta be earned, dontcha know! If everybody did it, it would lose all it's meaning! That's why it's only okay for a few "Real 'Mericans"™ to do this... ya' know, a certain percentage of Deplorables and the like.

~Psihala
(*"Yee Ha!")
Old 17 July 2018, 03:15 PM

This "thin blue line" flag (see https://www.thinbluelineusa.com/collections/flags ) is considered okay but other depictions such as the one with the peace symbol instead of the stars are considered disgraceful.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:21 PM

Personally, I find it disturbing how much emotional investment people get in a colored piece of cloth.
Old 17 July 2018, 03:34 PM

When people proclaim their patriotism by flying a flag, I want to ask them if they even voted. And what volunteer service do they do for their community?
Old 17 July 2018, 05:58 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
When people proclaim their patriotism by flying a flag, I want to ask them if they even voted. And what volunteer service do they do for their community?
Well since you asked...
I voted in the last election and intend to vote in this one (the gubernatorial race is starting to heat up).
You may already know that I'm a volunteer ESL tutor; I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it. I also have a trash can out in front of my house so passers by have a place to throw stuff away. On trash days, I just set it next my own trash so the county empties it.
I'm not trying to get into a one-upmanship contest, but I think it's a valid question and I wanted to answer it.
Now if you were to ask some of these people profiled in OP or in the other link I posted, you just might get crickets, bullfrogs, cats fighting, etc.
Old 17 July 2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Personally, I find it disturbing how much emotional investment people get in a colored piece of cloth.
Yes. Many seem to equate the symbol and what it is supposed to represent. I sure hope a lot of soldiers didn't die for the flag but instead they died for what it represents; their home, their family, their history, their ideals ...
Old 17 July 2018, 11:46 PM

During the Civil War and indeed, in any war where mass charges were led by the flag bearer, shooting the flag bearer and capturing the flag was a military objective.
Old 18 July 2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
During the Civil War and indeed, in any war where mass charges were led by the flag bearer, shooting the flag bearer and capturing the flag was a military objective.
Actually I think those were two separate things. The flag led a charge and shooting the flag bearer meant another soldier needed to pick it up. Totaly decimate the attack and the other side can retrieve the flag.

Capturing the flag as a military objective usually refers to overrunning the enemies command position and capturing that flag.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
You have a song about a big flag. For whatever reason, you chose that song as a national anthem over other, much easier songs.

Also, the Pledge of Allegiance has always put the flag first (and, well, it’s a weird thing to recite. We just sang our anthem at school). I remember at my first primary school, we just saluted our one flag once a week before a Prep teacher came out and led the anthem (in a strange way: her hands noted which notes we were supposed to sing. I have never seen anyone else do this). We never saluted the flag in either my second primary school or my Aussie high school.

Fun fact: The US flag was originally supposed to be respected with a “Bellamy salute”, which resembled the later Nazi salute. It was retired for blindingly obvious reasons.
Old 20 July 2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
You have a song about a big flag. For whatever reason, you chose that song as a national anthem over other, much easier songs.

Also, the Pledge of Allegiance has always put the flag first (and, well, it’s a weird thing to recite. We just sang our anthem at school). I remember at my first primary school, we just saluted our one flag once a week before a Prep teacher came out and led the anthem (in a strange way: her hands noted which notes we were supposed to sing. I have never seen anyone else do this). We never saluted the flag in either my second primary school or my Aussie high school.

Fun fact: The US flag was originally supposed to be respected with a “Bellamy salute”, which resembled the later Nazi salute. It was retired for blindingly obvious reasons.
I'm pretty sure crocoduck_hunter didn't get to choose the national anthem.

I find the idea of schoolchildren having to sing the national anthem and salute the flag once a week weird and vaguely off-putting. It seems to me to be a way of inciting nationalism, which is basically just idolisation of whatever the current government of that nation happens to be. Genuine love for your homeland should never have to be enforced. It doesn't come from the top down.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:33 PM

Well put, Blatherskite.
Old 20 July 2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I'm pretty sure crocoduck_hunter didn't get to choose the national anthem.

I find the idea of schoolchildren having to sing the national anthem and salute the flag once a week weird and vaguely off-putting. It seems to me to be a way of inciting nationalism, which is basically just idolisation of whatever the current government of that nation happens to be. Genuine love for your homeland should never have to be enforced. It doesn't come from the top down.
Wait…you Brits don’t sing it at school?

And trust me, the American treatment is weirder.
Old 20 July 2018, 06:01 PM

And what exactly is the American treatment?

Please enlighten me.
Old 20 July 2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
And what exactly is the American treatment?

Please enlighten me.
Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance daily, usually at or around the beginning of the school day, with the right hand over the heart, standing and facing the flag in the classroom. There is a flag in each classroom for this reason. Some schools have it as part of the morning announcements so the entire school is more or less saying it at the same time.

edit: Sorry, just saw you are in Minnesota and probably already knew this. In which case I was confused about what you were asking JnP.

double edit: To throw in my two cents along with it- the pledge really doesn't bother me, I don't think it's particularly creepy or indoctrinating-y, considering it's just something kids mostly *say* without really consciously thinking about anything it stands for 99% of the time. I could see it being argued as a waste of time, and I do understand why people *are* uncomfortable with it, I just don't share that discomfort.