snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 17 August 2018, 01:57 PM

Military Dear Leader postpones parade

Sorry folks! I know how eager we all were to attend this splendiferous display of military might. But no worries! We can now buy more stuff!
Old 17 August 2018, 02:14 PM

I fully support the president on this one.

I am going to put this to practice in my own life. I just got turned down for a $1.2 million loan on a new house. I am going to use that money I just saved to buy comic books and baseball cards. And candy. Wow. I feel so grown up, just like the president.

Photo "I am fluent in four languages: English (duh!). Snark. Sarcasm. Profanity." Bob
Old 17 August 2018, 03:08 PM

With the current price tag on the F-35 (which is totally invisible, according to Dump), I'm guessing that outright canceling the parade would save enough money to enable the purchase of half an aileron.
Old 17 August 2018, 04:21 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
With the current price tag on the F-35 (which is totally invisible, according to Dump), I'm guessing that outright canceling the parade would save enough money to enable the purchase of half an aileron.
Maybe Photo Bob will loan you some money.
Old 17 August 2018, 04:25 PM

That's okay, I just didn't get into medical school, so I'm rolling in cash.
Old 17 August 2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The good thing is that you don't actually need to buy any of them. Just take Trump to an empty airfield and tell him there are a hundred new planes there.
Old 17 August 2018, 08:22 PM

I just hope someone doesn't try that with a new suit for him.
Old 17 August 2018, 09:48 PM

I hope somebody does.

Not because I want to look at him (I don't want to look at him clothed, either; and it's got nothing to do with what he looks like.) But because his presidency might actually not survive that one.
Old 17 August 2018, 10:02 PM

Soapbox

I’m less optimistic. Calling it now: Republicans retain hold on both houses of Congress thru the mid-term and Trump emerges once more victorious in 2020.
Old 18 August 2018, 10:04 AM

Nah. I call it that Democrats will at least take the House this fall. And possibly even take all three in 2020; though if so, the Republicans will take either the House or the Senate again in 2022.

The USA likes divided government, for all we snarl about it.
Old 19 August 2018, 01:40 AM

Mouse

I'll err on the side of Optimism: the Democrats make a massive sweep and manage to hold onto the momentum and use it to make Trump a one-term president, rather than squandering the opportunity like they have with so many other victories, because I honestly wonder if the Democratic Party is opposed to winning.
Old 19 August 2018, 04:55 AM

Yes, I think the Democrats are opposed to winning. I live in the 2nd largest city in New Mexico. There is no office for the Democratic party here although the Republicans have one.
Old 19 August 2018, 12:35 PM

Interesting.

In my very-red-area upstate New York county, the party offices are usually only open for a few weeks or months during campaign years; they rent whatever otherwise-empty storefront space they can find, generally on Main Street in the county seat.

The Democrats have put up a stand at farmers' market most weeks this summer, and have had quite a bit of interest. They're waiting for the office space they've got lined up to become available. The Republicans don't have an office open yet, though they may well also have one arranged to open shortly; they haven't asked to set up at market.

ETA: That's the local Democrats, though; there's a county level organization. The national committee doesn't pay us much attention.
Old 19 August 2018, 03:29 PM

Baseball

Thoughts around here are that the President cancelled it not for costs, but that the Democrats were going to highlight the GOP waste involved and use this as an example.

Add in the one-time Putin visit at the same time, and the GOP finally convinced Trump that it would hurt their prospects in November.

This is all speculation by a bunch of Canadians sitting around the water cooler.

Any word on the street saying similar in the US?
Old 20 August 2018, 02:21 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Yes, I think the Democrats are opposed to winning. I live in the 2nd largest city in New Mexico. There is no office for the Democratic party here although the Republicans have one.
My complaints regarding the Democratic Party, is that they’ve pretty much been utilizing the same strategies since the 80s, only to be shocked when it all blows up in their faces. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is the very definition of insanity.

Bipartisanship and reaching across the aisle are all fine ideals, but they only work if both sides are made up of reasonable adults who, despite differing views, genuinely want to work together to get something done. It doesn’t work when one side is made up of reasonable adults and the other side is made up of demon toddler spite-children who will burn everything down if it means the other side doesn’t win.

The Republicans have basically turned into a doomsday cult and basically have repeatedly said that they will oppose the Democrats no matter what. Under those circumstances, it would be foolish to behave like they’re dealing with reasonable adults. The fact they keep trying this over and over, no matter how many times it blows up in their faces, makes me think that either the Democratic Party is unbelievably naive or more than a little bit disingenuous about who they allegedly represent.
Old 20 August 2018, 11:12 AM

Baseball

I heard a guest on CNN yesterday say something that I've quoted on Twitter and sent to a friend of mine who follows politics:

"The traditional GOP is either dead or hibernating waiting for this to all blow over."

That sums it up nicely.
Old 20 August 2018, 01:32 PM

Dear Traditional GOP, if* indeed you still exist:

I would like to give you the same advice I'm currently giving re white nationalist demonstrators: This is far past the point at which trying to ignore them is a useful tactic.

*I have seen an occasional such voice here and there. Whether there's enough such to make up a functioning political party is a different issue entirely.
Old 20 August 2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

This is all speculation by a bunch of Canadians sitting around the water cooler.

Any word on the street saying similar in the US?

I have not heard that; what I've heard is Dear Leader blaming local (DC) politicians for its cancellation.
I really have not heard of an official reason, but I do know that there were concerns about heavy military vehicles doing a number on the roads.
Here's one of many articles: https://wtop.com/government/2018/08/...at-least-2019/