snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 August 2018, 04:16 PM

Bang Head ACLU: Officials set up 'trap' to arrest immigrants at legal status interviews

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/polit...p-lawsuit-aclu

Quote:
A Boston-area US Citizenship and Immigration Services office appears to have been coordinating with local ICE officials to arrest undocumented immigrant spouses married to US citizens when they appeared at government offices to interview for legal status, according to newly released internal emails.
"They (USCIS) have represented to the public that people can come in for these interviews and be safe from arrest unless they pose a threat to public safety or national security," Segal said. "And at the very same time that USCIS was making those claims, it was working behind people's backs to have them arrested."
But no, go ahead and tell me that immigrants should just go through the legal process.
Old 16 August 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But no, go ahead and tell me that immigrants should just go through the legal process.
... and don't worry, if you check "non-citizen / non-legal resident" on the census form that info won't be used to find and deport you.
Old 19 August 2018, 02:46 AM

Mouse

If the wisdom of Trevor Noah can be trusted, the Trump administration is planning to limit access to citizenship and green cards for LEGAL immigrants as well. I honestly wish I could put on my Surprised Face, but I'm not. It is a longstanding tradition with anti-immigrant bigots.

Anti-Immigrant Bigots: We're not opposed to immigration, just illegal immigration.

*Proceed to make it damn near impossible for anyone to legally immigrate and become citizens.

It's almost as though they just don't want Immigrants in the country at all, but surely that can't be the case.

Last edited by Mouse; 19 August 2018 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Spacing looked weird
Old 19 August 2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Anti-Immigrant Bigots: We're not opposed to immigration, just illegal immigration.

*Proceed to make it damn near impossible for anyone to legally immigrate and become citizens.

It's almost as though they just don't want Immigrants in the country at all, but surely that can't be the case.
Not to defend Trump. but what's the wealthy country that hasn't done that in the past 80 years or so?
Old 19 August 2018, 04:20 AM

Even if every other country has behaved like that for the last 80 years, would that make it right?
Old 19 August 2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Even if every other country has behaved like that for the last 80 years, would that make it right?
No, but of course you know I didn't say that.
Old 19 August 2018, 05:58 AM

Just think if the US had kept people who ran brothels from being US citizens, we would not have the orange one as president.

ETA: His grandfather.
Old 19 August 2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Not to defend Trump. but what's the wealthy country that hasn't done that in the past 80 years or so?
Well the US for one, at least until the last 18 months.
Old 19 August 2018, 10:03 PM

The US has had severe limitations on who can legally immigrate for a long, long time. For much (most, all?) of that time, the limitations have had a racial or religious bias in them. The difference is just which group is being restricted and how severe the limitations are. Restrictions against Hispanic immigrants certainly didn't start with Trump, he's just escalated the situation to a severe degree.
Old 20 August 2018, 02:59 AM

Mouse

I feel a need to point out that in my OP, I said, “Anti-Immigrant Bigots,” not “American Anti-Immigrant Bigots.” I also didn’t try to in any way, suggest that this was a uniquely American phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The US has had severe limitations on who can legally immigrate for a long, long time. For much (most, all?) of that time, the limitations have had a racial or religious bias in them. The difference is just which group is being restricted and how severe the limitations are. Restrictions against Hispanic immigrants certainly didn't start with Trump, he's just escalated the situation to a severe degree.
From what I’ve heard, much of the US’s rules and regulations regarding immigrants, were set back when most of our immigrants were coming from Europe. Since that is no longer the case, we really should reassess and modify these rules, but every time the suggestion is made, the Anti-Immigrant crowd pitches a purple fit.

If the problem really was illegal immigrants, you’d think more people would be in favor of making it easier for immigrants to gain citizenship. Yet they stubbornly refuse to even discuss the idea. It’s almost as though their objections have nothing to do with how they immigrated or what their circumstances were, and they really just object to them being here at all.
Old 20 August 2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Well the US for one, at least until the last 18 months.
I'm not sure exactly what the definition of "damn near impossible" is, but if you were trying to get into the US from, say, Mexico, it was really difficult before the Trump administration as well. It's not like patrolling the border is something he invented.
Old 20 August 2018, 03:25 AM

Mouse

Most of our illegal immigrants come in via plane. Standard strategy is to claim they’re just here on vacation and from there, never leave. A wall wouldn’t stop that kind of immigration. Though I probably shouldn’t have said this, since Trump will now start advocating for a massive dome to protect the US from all those immigrants coming by plane.
Old 20 August 2018, 03:39 AM

Ok. It still wasn't an easy thing to do a few years ago, which was my only point.
Old 23 August 2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the definition of "damn near impossible" is, but if you were trying to get into the US from, say, Mexico, it was really difficult before the Trump administration as well. It's not like patrolling the border is something he invented.
Of course it depends on what "impossible" or "easy" means. The US is currently something around 1 person in 6 is not native born. The US admits more than a million immigrants per year. And clearly there is now and pretty much always have been restrictions on people from various places.

I guess the key is to be a "genius" model, or be her parents.
Old 23 August 2018, 07:04 PM

Pretty close, 1 in 7 persons residing in the US is not a native born citizen:

Code:
Native Born U.S. Citizens   279 million
Naturalized Citizens         20 million
Legal Noncitizens            13 million
Unauthorized Immigrants      11 million
Total U.S. Population       322 million
http://www.ncsl.org/research/immigra...tion-2017.aspx
Old 23 August 2018, 08:55 PM

Which figures mean that about one in ten, not one in seven, has been legally allowed to come in to the country; and considerably fewer than that have been allowed to get citizenship. Some of the naturalized citizens presumably got naturalized quite a few years ago; and some of the non-naturalized legal residents presumably only have permission to be here temporarily, and are not guaranteed a path to citizenship if they want it.

The naturalized citizens are about 6.7% of the total citizen population; and again some of them have been citizens for twenty or forty or sixty years or more. That's not 6.7% who just got here.

One million a year out of 322 million total population would be 0.3% annually. One million a year out of the 279 million native-born would be roughly 0.36% annually. That is IMO a pretty minuscule number. (And according to GenYus' link it's not the number granted citizenship, it's the number granted legal permanent residence; which is a less secure status than citizenship as it allows deportation for a variety of reasons.)