snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 17 July 2018, 07:14 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Or raccoons! They are also cute, but evil. Two years ago I fed a raccoon..... and they haven't left! I hear them under my house, on my porch and have seen them trying to climb in a window.

Do not feed a raccoon!
Or bears. Really any wild animal.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:14 PM

Icon202

Heading home from work yesterday, I saw a motorcyclist with horns attached to his helmet. Channeling his inner faux viking I imagine. Or his inner Elmer Fudd.

Dawn--kill the wabbit!--Storm
Old 19 July 2018, 12:32 PM

We're used to getting telemarketing/scam calls on our landline phones, most of which will turn up on caller I.D. either as "OUT OF AREA," "PRIVATE NUMBER," or occasionally even a spoofed number (such as our own home number.) Yesterday we got one that showed up as "ILLEGAL SCAM."

I'm guessing that the phone company now has the ability to tag numbers reported for fraud - pretty cool. (But still surprising to see that pop up!)
Old 19 July 2018, 04:42 PM

I was out walking this morning and took a different route through the neighborhood than I normally do. I passed a house with a nicely tended garden. Well, nicely tended except for the huge blackberry bush that was taking up about a quarter of it and growing over other plants.
Old 19 July 2018, 07:44 PM

Glasses

Was its name Audrey II?

Seaboe
Old 20 July 2018, 01:45 PM

Icon103

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
We're used to getting telemarketing/scam calls on our landline phones, most of which will turn up on caller I.D. either as "OUT OF AREA," "PRIVATE NUMBER," or occasionally even a spoofed number (such as our own home number.) Yesterday we got one that showed up as "ILLEGAL SCAM."

I'm guessing that the phone company now has the ability to tag numbers reported for fraud - pretty cool. (But still surprising to see that pop up!)
I'm not sure it's that sophisticated (although it might be), but a little research shows that some phone companies apparently use such a tag when they know the number is one you shouldn't be getting a call from, like an ANAC.
Old 20 July 2018, 05:43 PM

Last night I saw a truck with a doll's head hanging from its trailer hitch.
Old 21 July 2018, 10:51 AM

Whalephant

One of my upstairs neighbors was sitting outside with her cat while her cat looked down at the world and sneered.

Me:.....Is your car wearing a hat?
Her: Yes! It's her birthday!

It was one of those snowcone shaped hats in gold with a gold pompom on top.
Old 21 July 2018, 07:45 PM

Okay, well this was yesterday.

For two or three days, I'd notice a bolt in the middle of a street at a tee intersection near where we live and yesterday while bike riding with resident daughter, I decided to retrieve this bolt.

Once I got it in hand, I realized it wasn't just an ordinary bolt, but a lug bolt for an automobile, very possibly a Germany branded vehicle.

This may also mean some vehicle in our area has one less bolt holding a wheel on the hub.

I suppose I could also cross-post this in things learned, for I did not know that some cars use a lug bolt and not a lug nut.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 21 July 2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Adding cross post note.
Old 23 July 2018, 03:18 PM

Glasses

What did you think lug nuts connected to, if not lug bolts? Or do you mean you didn't know there were cars where you removed the bolt to change the tire rather than the nut?

Seaboe
Old 23 July 2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
What did you think lug nuts connected to, if not lug bolts? Or do you mean you didn't know there were cars where you removed the bolt to change the tire rather than the nut?

Seaboe
None of the US or Japanese branded motor vehicles I've ever had used a lug bolt - they all used a removable lug nut which threaded over the wheel stud, which was pressed into the hub. Two parts involved, the lug nut and the wheel stud.

With the lug bolt, only one part is used - the bolt itself. One difference, of course, is that the wheel stud is usually pressed into the hub, while the lug bolt requires the wheel hub hole to be threaded.

I've replaced a wheel stud, long ago, on my 280ZX. I manged to get the stud out without removing the hub and then had to press the new stud back into the hub the easy way, simply using the lug nut and a lug wrench to force the stud back into the hub hole. Not quite as pretty as doing it by the book, but I got it done.

Yes, I never realized there were cars that used a lug bolt to secure the wheel to the hub, and in looking at the information, it appears lug bolts may be somewhat unique to German engineered vehicles. I've never owned a German branded vehicle, so I guess my exposure to lug bolt is rather limited.

I suppose it is simply an engineering choice, but I've also gathered it is a bit more difficult to mount a wheel on a lug bolt hub, since there are no wheel studs to support the wheel. With lug bolts, looks like one not only has to support the wheel but also line up a hole in the wheel with the hole in the hub in order to install the first lug bolt.

With lug nuts, one only has to lift the wheel and get it lined up with a wheel stud and then line up the other holes and wheel studs. Once the wheel is hanging on the wheel studs, the wheel stays in place while I am hunting all over the driveway for the six lug nuts, because I've hit them with my feet in trying to lift the wheels for the Montero Sport.

Example of the lug bolts:

https://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Benz...bolts+mercedes

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 23 July 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: adding a thought or two.
Old 23 July 2018, 04:49 PM

Yes, I wondered if I'd missed something when I saw this and was going to ask what the difference was between a lug bolt and a lug nut (or rather, how you could have one without the other) but then I thought it might be a stupid question so I didn't!

(eta) and since UL101 has replied with the answer in between me seeing Seaboe's post and now, it was a bit of a silly question... it's been a while since I've changed a wheel on a car! (Although pretty sure I've done so in the past).
Old 24 July 2018, 04:45 PM

Maybe this belongs in the cars thread, but I thought this was an odd thing. This morning I saw an old step van (aka a "bread truck") that had been turned into a low-rider. That's kind of an odd choice of vehicle for that kind of customization. I'm not sure if it was simply personal transportation for the owner (which would be more odd), or if he was using it for some sort of business. It didn't have markings for any business, though. A few blocks later I saw the truck get pulled over by a motorcycle cop. That's not really odd but I just thought I'd include that detail.
Old 24 July 2018, 05:16 PM

Yesterday I saw a car that had been painted to have a shark's mouth on the hood, like a WW2 fighter plane.
Old 24 July 2018, 06:06 PM

Saw that on a 350Z last week.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:45 AM

Last Friday we found a juvenile rat snake in the hallway at work. Yesterday a different, slightly smaller rat snake -- with a broken jaw -- was slithering around the floor of the surgery room. So, uh, we have snakes in the hospital. Possibly a nest. The girls who helped me catch the first snake on Friday are confident the one from yesterday was a different individual. (We put the first one outside, and euthanized the broken-jawed one.)

One snake indoors isn't unheard of in Florida, though it's odd in summer when it's so warm outdoors. But two snakes in four days is very odd.
Old 25 July 2018, 01:46 PM

Icon86

Saw an ad for a new Maryland Lottery Ticket scratch-off card: when you scratch off the number covers on this card, the whole card smells like Old Bay seasoning.
Old 25 July 2018, 03:34 PM

Baseball

Coming into work this morning, saw a short haul truck with a Manitoba license plate.

I'm 3100 km from Manitoba. What is a short haul truck doing here pulling a load?
Old 25 July 2018, 03:46 PM

What is a “Short Haul Truck”? It’s not a term I am familiar with!
Old 29 July 2018, 01:14 AM

At the risk of possibly being TMI, while shopping at a local Asian supermarket I needed to visit the men's room. The odd thing was that there was a line for the stalls, while the urinals were all free. That's not the usual situation in men's rooms. I wonder if that says something about the quality of the food they serve at their food court. I, for one, did eat from their food court before having the urgent need to visit one of the stalls.