snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 06 July 2018, 03:00 AM

Default Sophie Scholl Conflicting Last Words

Wiki has two sections on Sophie Scholl's page ("Activities of the White Rose" and "Legacy") that redundantly recount her last words. Redudant except that they don't match up.

One version is "It is such a splendid sunny day, and I have to go. But how many have to die on the battlefield in these days, how many young, promising lives. What does my death matter if by our acts thousands are warned and alerted. Among the student body there will certainly be a revolt."

The citation for this is: http://spartacus-educational.com/GERschollS.htm

The article cites a primary source: "Else Gebel, letter to Robert Scholl (November, 1946)"

2nd version is "How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause? Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

This version I see on image macros more and the citation listed is: http://www.raoulwallenberg.net/holoc...ll-white-rose/

No individual footnote is given for the quote and the bibliography contains only secondary sources.

Note that this 2nd citation doesn't actually say that these were her last words and doesn't mention who recorded them.

They're significantly different but share the sunny day line.

Anyone have some background on that 2nd line?