snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 19 March 2008, 01:59 AM
Kersten

Icon97 Dasani induces labor

I found this on a moms' community forum:

Quote:
I will Tell you a secret my OB told me and it worked.......Dasani Water is actually purified with the SAME ingredient found in potossin [I think she means "pitocin"]. I drank one bottle and went into labor, My friend did the same and had her baby the next day. I imagine, like everything, it works different on everyone. But a lot of OB's here tell there patients to NOT drink Dasani until after 36 weeks for that very reason.... Anyway, worked for me......Maybe it will for you....
Old 19 March 2008, 02:32 AM

What a load of blather. They don't add chemicals to the water to purify it, they filter it until there's nothing left but pure water. According to Wiki and the company website, it's filtered by reverse osmosis, and then some of the naturally occuring minerals are replaced.
Old 19 March 2008, 02:35 AM

Ponder

Quote:
But a lot of OB's here tell there patients to NOT drink Dasani until after 36 weeks for that very reason.
Of course, telling pregnant women "Don't consume this until you're in the late stages of pregnancy" pretty much guarantees that a good many women will go into labor shortly after consuming it, because they were already about to go into labor anyway.

I invented a fabulous new depilatory juice drink. It works great, as long as you make sure not to drink it until just before you shave.

- snopes
Old 19 March 2008, 02:51 AM

I think they are right.... some of the same atoms found in pitocin (hydrogen and oxygen) are found in Dasani water!!!11!!!!1!!!
Old 19 March 2008, 02:18 PM
JessBoo

A pregnant colleague noticed recently after she'd finished her drink, that it had in tiny writing 'not safe for pregnant women' on the bottle. It wasn't Dasani, but I can't remember what it was.
Old 19 March 2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBoo View Post
A pregnant colleague noticed recently after she'd finished her drink, that it had in tiny writing 'not safe for pregnant women' on the bottle. It wasn't Dasani, but I can't remember what it was.
Beefeater perhaps?

Or, more realistically, a flavored water with phenylalanine?
Old 19 March 2008, 03:04 PM
JessBoo

Apparently it was some kind of diet drink from Aldi.
Old 19 March 2008, 03:06 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Apparently it was some kind of diet drink from Aldi.
Ahh, the theoretical or unknown risks of artificial sweetners to fetuses, espescially if they have an undiagnosed metabolic disorder.
Old 19 March 2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Beefeater perhaps?

I think that warning is on most "energy drinks" (e.g. Red Bull).
Old 19 March 2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Diet drinks containing NutraSweet state "PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE". There's no mention of pregnant women.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:11 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Diet drinks containing NutraSweet state "PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE". There's no mention of pregnant women.
Yes, you are correct. I was wondering aloud if the labelling is different in the U.K.

The current understanding is that phenylalanine does not cross the placenta, so the fetus should be OK either way. I apologize for inadvertantly spreading a UL.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. I was wondering aloud if the labelling is different in the U.K.
Ah. I neglected to notice JessBoo's location. :o
Old 19 March 2008, 09:24 PM
Kersten

Quote:
I was thinking maybe Canada Dry or some other tonic water that contains quinine. If I'm not mistaken, they have warnings on the bottle about the dangers of pregnant women drinking it.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:29 AM
JessBoo

It wasn't tonic water, it was a supermarket-own type diet drink. The writing was tiny, she didn't even notice it until she'd finished it.

I just looked at my jar of sweetener, it says "contains a source of phenylananine" int he ingredients panel. So not a warning, as such. I think our labels are a lot less strict than in the USA.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:44 PM

I drank Dasani and I didn't go into labor.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I invented a fabulous new depilatory juice drink. It works great, as long as you make sure not to drink it until just before you shave.
Big deal. I invented a sleep aid that works amazingly well, as long as you take it no sooner than 24 hours since the time you last awoke from sleep.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:55 PM
Grendel

Quote:
Ahh, the theoretical or unknown risks of artificial sweetners to fetuses, espescially if they have an undiagnosed metabolic disorder.
When Mrs. G. was pregnant with the Grendling, the doctor (family practice - ie. GP and obstetrician in one) told her to drink diet pop rather than full-sugar versions. We asked about the risks from artificial sweeteners, and were told that she would have to drink "a bathtub full" of diet pop a day to get any kind of risk. Oh, and our doctor's first degree was in nutrition. Since then, I have been drinking diet pop with no concerns.