snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Announcements

Old 22 November 2012, 09:42 PM

Hello everyone! I've been lurking in the shadows for a long time. Please don't mind the black cape. My name is Hillary and I'm currently a stay at home mom, but I plan on going back to school to become a funeral director. I'm 21 years old and just had a baby in August. She's adorable and I hope she grows up to be just as snarky as I am. I also have two cats who light up my life; when they aren't trying to sit on my head that is.

I've loved urban legends for years ever since I read "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and it's two sequels when I was 9 or 10. I like the really far out, "horror" style urban legends. They're just so much fun for me. I find that the one's that are "could be true but not proven" much spookier.

Interests wise, I've been a Potterhead since I was 8, went through a brief Lord of The Rings obsession at 13, plunged head first into LOST at 14, True Blood at 18, and currently I'm trying to get my Who on with Dr. Who. I'm about half way through season 2 and I'm in love with it.

Politically I'm a "moderate" but I generally lean to the left on most things.

Anywho, can't wait to see everyone around the forums!

I'm on a horse.
Old 07 January 2013, 06:59 PM

Hello, just dropping in to say hello. I've tried to register for this place before, but I always seemed to've never been activated. At any rate, I hope to participate in this forum where I can. Snopes has been one of my frequently used sites for sometime- I remember first stumbling across the site maybe 12 years ago when I was in seventh grade. Considering how many other sites I used since have come and gone, I'm pleased to see snopes is still around.

I was about to answer those questions at the beginning, but no one else was doing that in the last few pages.
Old 09 January 2013, 06:32 PM

Ooh, a "hello" thread!

Hi! I used to be an active poster here, but that was um, probably ten-ish years ago (eegad, where does the time go?!) so if no one remembers me, I totally understand. It's actually been fun lurking for the last month or so and seeing all the names I recognize (Brad from Georgia, Jenn, and more).

My hobbies include but are not limited to: photography, jewelry making, painting, crocheting, knitting, other assorted crafts, ballroom dancing, and chocolate tasting. Well, that last one isn't a hobby so much as a life calling..
Old 09 January 2013, 06:38 PM

Your name looks familiar to me, jaimilyn. I thought you were posting to welcome a new person. :P
Old 09 January 2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Your name looks familiar to me, jaimilyn. I thought you were posting to welcome a new person. :P
Until and unless someone can dig up and restore my former post count (which is probably impossible and totally unnecessary), I'm claiming newbie status and all the rights and privileges entitled thereunto.
Old 25 March 2013, 02:40 AM
Inzl Kett

Icon102

I'll introduce myself. I am known all over the internet as Inzl Kett. I am what folks call a straight shooter. Take a peek in my profile for my real name and what I do out in the real world. I joined this site because I like to get to the bottom of rumors that fly out there on the internet. There's a lot of crazy rumors out there these days.
Old 25 March 2013, 02:46 PM

Welcome to the board. Here's your accordion.

Nick
Old 25 March 2013, 02:59 PM

Do we still give a Mysterious Box of Mystery (patent applied for) to new members?
Old 25 March 2013, 04:49 PM

Yes, but due to federal safety laws, the Mysterious Box of Mystery now comes with a list of what is in it. Also, it's empty.

Welcome aboard, Inzl Kett!
Old 06 May 2013, 11:26 PM
Black and White Cat

Australia

So excited to receive my activation email. A longtime on-off lurker and may have posted a couple of times a million years ago. Recently got back into reading this forum and realised that I have something to contribute to the discussions. Visited the urban legends irc a few times back in the day but wouldn't know how to find it anymore. I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 18 July 2013, 01:24 AM
agentkuo

Hi there, everyone! My name's Carl. I'm terribly addicted to urban legends at the moment. And I just recently discovered that Snopes has a message board, so I decided to join. And now here I am.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:55 AM
animal luvr

Default I'm here now!

Hi Ya'll,
My name is I'm Dani & female. I didn't know snopes had a message board either so now when I am bored - pardon the pun- I have a place to come and hang out? I hope so.

I'm older n' dirt and when the dog refuses to talk any longer, I can come here and see myself chat with ya'll! My curosity is like a cats- I can never learn enough, tho you'd never know how smart I am cuz it doesn't show!

really, I do look forward to reading all, well, much of the boards, and posting so I can get to know some of ya'll.
By the way, I'm from the south. Couldja tell??

Have a great night.
Se ya later!
Dani
Old 06 August 2013, 01:21 AM

Hi. New member here. I have a thread topic to do with uranium fuel in ractors. A conspiracy nut...fortunately he speaks English poorly ...got me started looking up actual facts. Only I could not get a good explanation. Where should I start the thread? It's not an urban legend but a conspiracy not theory. He also thinks chemtrails are a cover up of this leak.

Here is my nut:
http://youtu.be/IE7sq7Fjo0s

the topic I have is a real puzzling item, and has to do with real facts. Which Arto twists into all kinds of fantasy.
Old 06 August 2013, 03:35 PM

You can generally post anything of dubious veracity you want to check on in the Urban Legends section. Mods will move it if it ends up in the wrong place.

Welcome to the ULMB!
Old 06 August 2013, 04:43 PM

OK thanks. I can spin a little story out of it.
Old 20 August 2013, 12:50 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Talleyrand. I first got into urban legends around 2004, when I read a book on various Internet "phenomena" such as identity theft, spam, and urban legends. Eventually, after doing some further research into urban legends, I came across Snopes.com. I've been reading Snopes on-and-off ever since, but I had never thought of participating on the forums until now.

Have fun, all!

Talleyrand
Old 20 August 2013, 05:18 AM

Welcome to the board, Talleyrand! You'll have fun here!
Old 03 January 2014, 06:09 PM

I guess this is as good a place as any but you could call this a reintroduction as I have not beenon the message board for over a year and a half. When I logged in it told me July 28th, 2012 was my last log in. No real reason for my falling of the board. Just kind of happened. Got real busy with other things here and just never came back.

So to reintroduce myself My name is Keith. My wife Jennifer and I live in La Salle, Illinois, two dogs, no kids, four nieces and three nephews, I work overnights at Walmart plus my wife and I host a live internet radio show on Tuesday evenings. I can post the link if that is allowed. I enjoy reading, listening to music, My wife would say I'm a Star Wars nut as I watch the movies all the time,

Politically I'm a moderate but lean to the left on most things,

Religiously I'm an atheist.

I also would not suggest eating my cooking LOL.

I'm legally blind, My eyesight is pretty limited and is just enough to be usfull I also have Tourette's Syndrome, let's just say it would be easier to tell you what is not wrong with my eyesight. I also am known to have a strange sense of humor and love puns and translating things literally, drives my co workers and family nuts

Glad to be back on the message board. It has been far too long.
Old 03 January 2014, 07:42 PM

Glasses

Welcome back, Zman977.
Old 16 September 2014, 08:53 PM

Hello, Snopesters!

I'm not exactly new, but after being gone for so long (when I logged in, the board said I last visited 06 October 2011!) a re-introduction seems in order.

I lurked on the ULMB for ages before I convinced myself to sign up and start posting. Over time, I dropped into lurkerdom again, then drifted away entirely. then I got really, really sick. In 2013, I began to lose my eyesight. Eventually, an MRI revealed a 5.5-cm tumor pressing on the front of my brain and strangling my optic nerve. The tumor's gone and should never grow back, but the optic nerve damage couldn't be repaired. I'm almost completely blind, with some ability to see contrast or movement on the right side.

I can't see pictures or read text at any magnification, but I have a program called a screen reader which reads text on the computer aloud to me and I'm getting the hang of navigating by keyboard. I've been reading these threads and the FAQ, but please be patient with me if I get the mechanics wrong!

I can't tell you how much it's meant to me in the past couple of days to read so many familiar names and do a bit of catching up. I don't know if I can keep up with it all, but I sure look forward to trying.