snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 24 January 2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Local plumbing company has a radio ad for their new whole-house filtration system. The part that I hate is the line, "It is nearly impossible to get pure water in an industrialized country." referring to the fact that things like hormones from birth control can be present in reclaimed water.

While that is true, it is much harder to get pure water in non-industrialized countries and the things they have to worry about are much worse, like cholera or parasites.
Completely pure water can be harmful to drink. You need some dissolved salts and minerals or it'll cause bad things to you body.
Old 24 January 2018, 07:12 PM

I don't think they meant DI water, but that is much easier to obtain in an industrialized country, so it makes another problem with the ad.
Old 24 January 2018, 07:36 PM

Yeah, and in "pure" water that you get from a mountain stream usually has Giardia in it.
Old 24 January 2018, 07:40 PM

No, that's "raw" water.
Old 24 January 2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Completely pure water can be harmful to drink. You need some dissolved salts and minerals or it'll cause bad things to you body.
I don't think it's harmful to drink occasionally; and some people are probably getting enough of the salts and minerals from the rest of their diet, especially if the water's being drunk as part of a meal.
Old 24 January 2018, 08:58 PM

It depends on a number of factors, but this is commercials that push the idea that pure H2O is healthier for you than standard tap water.
Old 24 January 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It depends on a number of factors, but this is commercials that push the idea that pure H2O is healthier for you than standard tap water.
Ah.

There's a huge amount of money going into convincing people that standard tap water is no good to drink. In most places in the USA (and I strongly suspect in quite a lot of other places), that simply isn't true; but a great deal of money can be made by getting people to buy water (other than by paying their ordinary water bills/taxes/whatever.)
Old 25 January 2018, 12:18 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Ah.

There's a huge amount of money going into convincing people that standard tap water is no good to drink. In most places in the USA (and I strongly suspect in quite a lot of other places), that simply isn't true; but a great deal of money can be made by getting people to buy water (other than by paying their ordinary water bills/taxes/whatever.)
Yeah, it's a helluva racket! I'm in the wrong line of work!

ETA: My water of choice is Montgomery County Tap brought to you from the clear waters of the Potomac River by the fine folks of the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.
Old 12 February 2018, 11:46 PM

It's only been a few days since they've started, but I've already pretty much had my fill of all the sappy "INSPIRATIONAL!!!" Olympic TV ads.

Like the Jiff commercial, featuring the girl with an ice pack on her knee. "You don't know it yet..."
Old 13 February 2018, 02:27 PM

I know the water thing is a bit controversial, however, if you tell the people in Flint that the law says the water has to be safe you might get some argument. Also, the water in my home town has...floaties and it tastes awful (I'm quoting mostly others I don't drink water as a rule.) We have also had in this town and the neighboring town, and the biggest city near us, e coli contamination. These issues were not reported until after people had already ingested the water. Luckily no one became ill. It scares people though, so I can see why many prefer bottled water.

Incidentally, during those water alerts, the store I work at that has an elaborate filtering/purifying system could not sell anything with our ultra purified water, nor could we sell food as we washed dishes with the water, including a three sink sanitizing system. So a britta pitcher etc. would not have helped that. It was useless to those in Flint and other cities with contamination issues.

Last edited by Sylvanz; 13 February 2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: multiple fat finger typos
Old 15 February 2018, 01:59 PM

Spit Take

Hey, I resemble the fat-finger typo reason!
I think the ad GenYus mentioned was tap water in general, not a specific case like Flint. Individual incidents/areas? Bottled water is your friend. Has anyone lost his job over that incident yet?
Old 15 February 2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Hey, I resemble the fat-finger typo reason!
I think the ad GenYus mentioned was tap water in general, not a specific case like Flint.
No, but the ad first started airing shortly after the situation in Flint became widely known, so it was clearly trying to make the association in viewers' minds.

And IIRC there have been a couple of sacrificial peons in the Flint fiasco but none of the actual decision-makers who caused the problem were booted.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:14 PM

It only started running here in the past month or so, so the Flint association is much less prominent.
Old 15 February 2018, 05:20 PM

I know this is stupid but I hate the commercials, the constant, endless commercials, some channels have for their upcoming shows. I do not care how often you advertise it I am not watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace, I am never going to watch Baskets and if I see one more advert for The Detour I may finally pull the plug on cable!
Old 15 February 2018, 05:29 PM

Even if the Flint association is deliberate, and in fact particularly if it is: the fact that a particular city's water system is dangerously screwed up is good reason to investigate where your particular water's coming from and whether it's being tested and passing its tests. It may even be a good reason to test water run from your particular tap for likely contaminants. It is not a good reason to automatically assume that everybody needs to buy bottled water.

Yes, some people do have genuinely terrible tap water. Most people in the USA don't. And if the problem is just that it's chloriney, filtering that out and when you need to carry it using reusable bottles makes for most situations (I know there are exceptions) more sense, both financially and ecologically, than buying bottles and bottles and bottles of water.
Old 15 February 2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I know this is stupid but I hate the commercials, the constant, endless commercials, some channels have for their upcoming shows. I do not care how often you advertise it I am not watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace, I am never going to watch Baskets and if I see one more advert for The Detour I may finally pull the plug on cable!
What if I promise you that The Detour is absolutely worth watching?
Old 15 February 2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
What if I promise you that The Detour is absolutely worth watching?
I'd consider watching based on a personal recommendation . What I am sick and tired of is multiple adverts for the same shows within the space of a half hour. I am guessing the powers that be figure this kind of flooding will get people watching the shows they are promoting but for me it's just irritating as hell!
Old 15 February 2018, 08:01 PM

Especially when the ads are nothing but surreal images that tell you precisely nothing about the show.
Old 27 February 2018, 11:35 AM

Icon02

I cannot stand any ads--radio or TV--that feature snotty, smart-mouthed, rude, know-it-all kids. Looking at you Xfinity! You seem to be the worst offender.

Dawn--or is it worse?--Storm
Old 27 February 2018, 03:23 PM

Agreed, DS. I guess it's supposed to be cute because a kid is doing it? It doesn't make me want to buy the product, either way.