snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 10 February 2018, 06:28 PM

Icon06 Man arrested for killing Colorado teen says she hired him to kill her

A man arrested in the death of a 19-year-old found dead in the woods near a Colorado dairy farm told police the woman put an ad on Craigslist seeking out someone to kill her.

During the interview, he told investigators he found her ad on Craigslist and agreed to meet and kill her after a lengthy text conversation. Lopez said Bollinger told him she wanted to be killed “on her knees… executed from behind,” according to the affidavit.

http://kron4.com/2018/02/10/affidavi...m-to-kill-her/
Old 10 February 2018, 07:21 PM

Oh, well that makes it all okay then, doesn't it?
Old 10 February 2018, 08:24 PM

From what we're seeing, it does sound like he may be more-or-less telling the truth -- but, as you say, it makes little if any difference. Legally, you can't consent to be murdered. Since he seems to have pretty much admitted guilt, I doubt there will be a trial. I can see not sentencing him as harshly as most first-degree murderers, but he should still do serious prison time.
Old 10 February 2018, 08:33 PM

I don't see any reason to sentence him less severely.
Old 10 February 2018, 09:52 PM

I think one could argue that either way. My thought was that I don't see him as being as much of a danger to other people as someone who killed someone who was not (literally) asking for it. But there are counters-arguments that also seem valid.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:23 PM

Isn't the death penalty typical (or mandatory??) in contract killing cases.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:32 PM

Each state and the Federal government have different regulations for the death penalty. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...nt_in_Colorado for Colorado's.

From that site: 5. The defendant has been a party to an agreement to kill another person in furtherance of which a person has been intentionally killed.
Old 10 February 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I think one could argue that either way. My thought was that I don't see him as being as much of a danger to other people as someone who killed someone who was not (literally) asking for it.
MMV, I see no reason to assume that. Or to assume that no one else will ever (literally) ask him for it, especially if they know he's done it once.

FTR, I'm not advocating for the death penalty, which I oppose.
Old 11 February 2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
My thought was that I don't see him as being as much of a danger to other people as someone who killed someone who was not (literally) asking for it. But there are counters-arguments that also seem valid.
I see your point, but someone who 1, responds to an ad like that, and 2, follows through with a shot to the head, is not exactly safe. As it is I think his actions show both blood lust and recklessness.

If Michelle Carter, the girl who encouraged her suicidal friend to kill himself, can get involuntary manslaughter, then surely someone who actually pulls the trigger is guilty of murder?

This also reminds me somewhat of the case of the cannibal Armin Meiwes, who advertised for, and found, someone who wanted to be killed and eaten. The argument “he wanted me to” didn’t work for him in Germany. He got life in prison for murder (cannibalism wasn’t illegal there).
Old 12 February 2018, 02:28 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Oh, well that makes it all okay then, doesn't it?
To paraphrase W.C. Fields: they have no more case against him than the lamb has against the butcher!
Old 15 February 2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
If Michelle Carter, the girl who encouraged her suicidal friend to kill himself, can get involuntary manslaughter, then surely someone who actually pulls the trigger is guilty of murder?
I definitely agree he's guilty of murder, and probably in the first degree (there was certainly premeditation). I guess I'm saying I don't think he is as 'evil' as someone who kills with malice. But I agree there are sound counters to that argument. I want him to do serious prison time, certainly.
Old 15 February 2018, 03:57 PM

I doubt we have a way to know that. What kind of person would answer an ad like that and then follow through? There may be more than one answer to that question, but among them would be: someone who really wants to kill people, and is willing to act on that desire.
Old 15 February 2018, 04:14 PM

I would add, that if he's never killed before (which we don't know) being willing to do it the first time will just make the next time that much easier, titillating, "fun" whatever. The guy is a menace and I would advocate life without parole. MMV or course.
Old 15 February 2018, 04:16 PM

Also, while diagnosing someone over the internet is often folly, I don't think it unreasonable to surmise that someone advertising online for someone to kill them may have some mental issues.