snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 23 February 2019, 01:56 AM

Ironic that he (allegedly) faked this to get attention and more money, and now has been dropped from the show and is VERY well known, in bad ways.
Old 23 February 2019, 02:11 AM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It's still something that people who are on the fence about the issue of hate crimes are going to look at and say "huh, maybe those people saying they're all faked by liberals have a point."
I don’t think that’s where the fence sits. The fence is about whether or not there is a meaningful distinction between a "hate crime" and its non-"hate crime" equivalent, often based on obfuscation.

The argument for and from the fence-sitters is usually framed as "all crimes are crimes of hate " (that’s the South Park slant and completely ignores the chaotic nature of race-based violence against a random member of a group you pass on the street as opposed to, say, beating the shit out of someone you know and have a grievance against) or "it shouldn’t be illegal just to have hateful thoughts" (the overly literal definition that in no way reflects what hate crimes really refer to).

If (g)you are even entertaining the possibility that all so-called hate crimes, whatever definition you choose, are or could be "faked by liberals", you’re way beyond sitting on the fence. You’ve picked a side and you’ve adopted the sort of dog-whistle language common among the alt-right.

Last edited by ASL; 23 February 2019 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 23 February 2019, 08:49 AM

My first reaction to this was "Jesse who???".
Old 25 February 2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Ironic that he (allegedly) faked this to get attention and more money, and now has been dropped from the show and is VERY well known, in bad ways.
And yet, Terrence Howard is still on the show.
Old 25 February 2019, 12:49 PM

FBI Source Claims Chicago Police ‘Overstated’ Their Case Against Jussie Smollett

The specific part in doubt is whether he sent himself the threatening letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
My first reaction to this was "Jesse who???".
He doesn't know who you are, either. (credit to Garry Trudeau, who was talking about John Anderson)
Old 25 February 2019, 03:46 PM

That's a rather small part of their case. In fact, I'm not sure it is really part of the case at all unless he filed a separate police report on the letter.
Old 26 February 2019, 03:22 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It certainly didn't help anything, but I don't know if it really did much damage either. The people claiming this means that there are no hate crimes would just have found another excuse anyway.
I’m with you. The Hate Crimes Skeptics™ * would have found some other reason to discount survivors. Because Rich White People are the real persecuted people, and those other victims are just lying because there’s no easier path to a life of riches and fame, than by being the victim of a hate crime.

Though if we want to indulge in puerile mud-slinging, it probably wouldn’t take too long to dredge up as many staged hate crimes against conservatives, but we’re mostly above that kind of thing, right.

*Trademark symbol put in because the word “skeptic” has been so abused, I felt there should be a distinction between actual skepticism and the ersatz, corporate soulless kind. These days, skepticism seems to translate as “I must constantly question everything, rather than use my own brain to sort through facts and weigh out evidence,” or “I must make the knee jerk assumption that the opposite of what is being stated, is the actual truth, and hold onto this belief no matter how much evidence proves otherwise!”