snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 22 February 2013, 04:36 PM

Default France Isn’t the Titan CEO’s Biggest Problem

But beyond the critique of France, there is a more interesting subtext to the letter, which hints at a deeper frustration driving Mr Taylor. Governments in France and America, he says, are not doing enough to protect his businesses from low-cost Asian competition.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...ggest-problem/
Old 22 February 2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
This business brought so many thoughts to my mind that I'm still taking time to organize them, but here goes...

This morning, during the only 30 minutes break I'm allowed, on an information channel, I saw an interview of him in which he said that Arnaud Montebourg had leaked the letter in a plot to keep french workers from worrying about the state of the economy. Given my distrust of politicians, I wouldn't put it past him. But there might be another theory here. Bear with me...

Before yestreday, I had never heard of that guy, or his brand of tyres. So I wonder if all that isn't an advertising stunt, aimed at his american customer base. He writes that letter, knowing full well what kind of reactions he's going to get, so as to get free publicity, with a lot of french-bashing to attract the more "chauvins" of his customers.
The important thing to remember is that bashing France has been popular in conservative American circles since some time around 2002, when France opposed the military invasion of Iraq. Since that time, it's been popular to simply portray France as a nation of cowardly, lazy snobs who don't do any real work and sit around sneering at the uncultured Americans while eating their cheese and sipping overly expensive wine.

This guy pretty well doesn't have to worry about offending French people because they don't matter to him, but if he acts all macho and tough it establishes his "street cred" to other conservatives.
Old 22 February 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
But beyond the critique of France, there is a more interesting subtext to the letter, which hints at a deeper frustration driving Mr Taylor. Governments in France and America, he says, are not doing enough to protect his businesses from low-cost Asian competition.
Ha! Government shouldn't regulate the free market! Unless it does so in a way that benefits me!
Old 22 February 2013, 10:58 PM

BBC Radio 4's The World Tonight ran a report on this yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qmxgl

(It's toward the end of the programme)

The guests on the show see it as a culture clash, mixed with Taylor possibly looking to drive the price down before he buys it.