snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 04 December 2018, 12:30 PM

1. UTC+08 is by far the world's most populous what?

Time zone

5. In 1958, what country's July 14 revolution ousted King Faisal II and installed the government that would be in power for 45 years?

Iraq
Old 04 December 2018, 01:08 PM

1. Time zone.

2. Romeo and Juliet.

3. Dale Earnhardt.

4. Elvis Presley.

5. Iraq.

6. Don't know. I feel like this will be a forehead slapper for me.

7. I know at least two of them have dedications to other authors, but that's about all I can think of.
Old 04 December 2018, 01:58 PM

1. Time zone.

2. Romeo and Juliet.

4. John Wayne?.

5. Iraq.
Old 04 December 2018, 02:12 PM

6. What object was named in 1930 to begin with initials of the astronomer who spent the last decade of his life searching for it? PLuto, for Percival Lowell?
Old 04 December 2018, 03:43 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Right off the bat, I'm clearly going to have issues this week. Bar code, if such a thing can be described as populous.
Quote:

2. Laws passed to legalize statutory rape if *both* partners are underage are often named for what two fictional characters?
Romeo and Juliet, I assume.
Quote:

3. Sterling Marlin received hate mail and death threats for the slight contact that led to the February 2001 death of what man?
Since I have no idea who Sterling Marlin is, nor who died in February 2001, I can't even guess at an answer for this one.
Quote:

4. Whose image appears three times in the iconic Andy Warhol painting in which he's drawing a six-shooter, based on a publicity still from his 1958 Western film Flaming Star?
John Wayne.
Quote:

5. In 1958, what country's July 14 revolution ousted King Faisal II and installed the government that would be in power for 45 years?
Egypt?
Quote:

6. What object was named in 1930 to begin with initials of the astronomer who spent the last decade of his life searching for it?
Percival Lowell was the astronomer, and Pluto was the object. I figure probably everyone who plays this on Snopes will get this right.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works? The Bluest Eye, The Grapes of Wrath, I Am Legend, The Odyssey, The Shipping News, Straight Man, The Stranger, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Wonder.
Well, if the Odyssey is included, they can't all have titles from poetry. The ones I know include murders, but that's not exactly unusual. I've actually only read two of them (or parts thereof, in the case of the Odyssey), so I'm only familiar with public representations of the others. No guess.

Seaboe
Old 04 December 2018, 05:11 PM

time zone

2. Laws passed to legalize statutory rape if *both* partners are underage are often named for what two fictional characters?

Romeo and Juliet

Saudi Arabia

6. What object was named in 1930 to begin with initials of the astronomer who spent the last decade of his life searching for it?

Pluto
Old 04 December 2018, 06:13 PM

I'm guessing this is the time zone that includes India? That seems about the right distance east of Greenwich.
Old 04 December 2018, 11:14 PM

Hm, the ones I know (1, 2) have already been answered, and the more-or-less confident guesses I have for others have all also been given but with some disagreement. (I'm going 4. John Wayne and 5. Iraq).

I feel I should know number 7, because it's about literature and I've read five of them, but I don't. Seaboe's answer seems to be true of the ones I know as well (although I can't remember in the case of The Unbearable Lightness of Being) but there must be more to it than that if it is the connection - something to do with the treatment of the murder / killing in the plot? They can't all have been either nihilists or stoics...
Old 04 December 2018, 11:51 PM

1. UTC+08 is by far the world's most populous what? Time Zone

2. Laws passed to legalize statutory rape if *both* partners are underage are often named for what two fictional characters? This has to be a gimme. Romeo and Juliet.

4. Whose image appears three times in the iconic Andy Warhol painting in which he's drawing a six-shooter, based on a publicity still from his 1958 Western film Flaming Star? Wild guess. Marilyn Monroe.

6. What object was named in 1930 to begin with initials of the astronomer who spent the last decade of his life searching for it? Pluto?
Old 05 December 2018, 01:11 AM

Baseball

1. I live at UTC -4, so I would say that it is Time Zone.

2. Ohh, probably Romeo and Juliet.

3. I remember the incident, but I can't remember any details. The only reason I remember anything about it is because of the name Marlin. I don't remember the name of anyone dying in that sport.

4. Would that be John Wayne?

5. 45 years puts that to 2003. I would guess Iraq.

6. Pluto?

7. All have been banned in some area despite having won a Pulitzer?

Good week. I think I'm 3-4 out of 7 this week.
Old 05 December 2018, 02:26 AM

7) I've read a few of them but don't remember them that well. One thing that two of them have in common is that in The Odyssey Odysseus's dog Argos dies when Odysseus returns and in To Kill A Mockingbird, Atticus shoots a rabid dog. So I'g going with a dog dies.
Old 05 December 2018, 04:07 AM

1. UTC+08 is by far the world's most populous what? Time zone?

2. Laws passed to legalize statutory rape if *both* partners are underage are often named for what two fictional characters? Romeo & Juliet

3. Sterling Marlin received hate mail and death threats for the slight contact that led to the February 2001 death of what man? Dale Earnhardt, Sr.?

4. Whose image appears three times in the iconic Andy Warhol painting in which he's drawing a six-shooter, based on a publicity still from his 1958 Western film Flaming Star? WAG - John Wayne?

5. In 1958, what country's July 14 revolution ousted King Faisal II and installed the government that would be in power for 45 years? Saudi Arabia

6. What object was named in 1930 to begin with initials of the astronomer who spent the last decade of his life searching for it? Pluto

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works? The Bluest Eye, The Grapes of Wrath, I Am Legend, The Odyssey, The Shipping News, Straight Man, The Stranger, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Wonder. Hmm... there a few common threads I can find between subsets of these, but having trouble finding one to tie them all together. (It's been a long while since I've read some of these, and a few of them I haven't read at all.) ETA: I think Steve's got it.
Old 05 December 2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
Bonn, Germany was a much bigger deal when it was Bonn, West Germany. Now what does it have? Some stupid Beethoven museum, I bet.
It does indeed. Also, it still has some federal offices, and officially calls itself "Federal City" since it isnt "Federal Capital" any more.
Old 05 December 2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
It does indeed. Also, it still has some federal offices, and officially calls itself "Federal City" since it isnt "Federal Capital" any more.
Sounds like a city in the DCU: Coast City, National City, Central City, Star City, and now Federal City!

Who's the DCU hero that operates in Federal City?
Old 05 December 2018, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Re number 7--I was going to tell Richard that I saw no reason why all the murders couldn't be by a nihilist or a stoic, and then I read Steve's answer and decided he was right.

Seaboe
Old 05 December 2018, 03:31 PM

I don't know if Steve is right or at least without more qualification. I wouldn't call that unusual and the list leaves off a number of works that also qualify. Right off the top of my head is Where the Red Fern Grows, Call of the Wild, Old Yeller (probably the most famous), Marley and Me, and A Dog's Purpose. (I believe the last two were novels first.)

What it might be is that a good character is forced to kill a dog. Even that leaves off Old Yeller, but the list was not comprehensive.
Old 05 December 2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
What it might be is that ...
It might be more specific, but it's not that. In The Odyssey Argos dies on his own without anyone killing him.
Old 05 December 2018, 04:15 PM

Icon05

Time zone.

Romeo & Juliet.

3. Sterling Marlin received hate mail and death threats for the slight contact that led to the February 2001 death of what man?
Dunno - but I probably should.

4. Whose image appears three times in the iconic Andy Warhol painting in which he's drawing a six-shooter, based on a publicity still from his 1958 Western film Flaming Star?
John Wayne?

Jordan?

Pluto. The "planet", not the dog.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works? The Bluest Eye, The Grapes of Wrath, I Am Legend, The Odyssey, The Shipping News, Straight Man, The Stranger, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Wonder.
I believe they've all been made into movies, but other than that I got nuthin'.
Old 06 December 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't know if Steve is right...
I think Steve is probably right too, but it doesn't say it's an exclusive list so there will be other examples. Another obvious one that you didn't mention is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Also The Hound of the Baskervilles (to follow up the connection in the title) I think.

I don't think it needs to be more specific even though there are other examples, though. The ones above would give it away, and it seems unusual enough in itself to me.
Old 11 December 2018, 11:33 AM

Tuesday trivia time!

Ken Jennings writes:
Here's what's going to happen: there's going to be a short and effectively content-free introduction, then seven new trivia questions, then seven answers from last week's mailer. If you didn't get that one, SPOILER WARNING!

Actually, now that I look at them, last week's questions seem like they were pretty hard. Is it just me? They were harder than usual, right? Jennings's Law of Trivia Writing is this: "They are ALWAYS harder than you think they are." And it could possibly be stated as "They are ALWAYS harder than you think they are, even when you take into account Jennings's Law."

Here we go ...
LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

The world's time zones are often labeled by their offset from UTC, which is "Coordinated Universal Time"--that is, Greenwich Mean Time. UTC+08 is eight hours east of UTC, and contains all of China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, and a big chunk of Indonesia. It holds about a quarter of the Earth's population.

To close a loophole whereby teens could be prosecuted for rape just by having consensual sex with each other, states often pass "Romeo and Juliet" laws. Do we really need such a romantic-sounding name for this law?

Marlin was the other NASCAR driver in the incident that led to Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash in the 2001 Daytona 500.

Who could be the star of a 1950s B-movie you've never heard of, but still be iconic enough to figure in one of Warhol's most famous works? The iconic Triple Elvis canvas depicts "the King" himself, Elvis Presley.

Faisal was the last king of Iraq.

Percival Lowell was convinced there was a ninth planet (for reasons that we know now are bogus). But there was a ninth planet! (Kind of. Not really.) Upon its discovery, "Pluto" was chosen as a name because it began with "PL" in honor of Lowell.

This is not an unusual distinction in children's books AT ALL, sadly, but it's a lot rarer in literature for grown-ups. These are classics in which the pet dog dies.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. According to his boastful servant Leporello, what Mozart character has had 640 girls in Italy, 231 in Germany, and 1,003 in Spain?

2. What multimillion-selling country act takes its name from a geographic feature partially formed by the St. Mary's and Chattahoochee Rivers?

3. What natural objects come in shapes ranging from simple prisms to sectored plates to stellar dendrites?

4. As you might gather from the title, the 1994 film Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle was about what storied group?

5. What common snack food is placed atop a bed of lettuce to make a "Pittsburgh salad"?

6. What African nation has made it a crime for citizens to identify themselves as either Hutus or Tutsis?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV series? Doctor Who, Get Smart, Have Gun Will Travel, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Prisoner, Samurai Jack, Scrubs, That '70s Show, The Virginian, The X-Files.

Enjoy!