snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 May 2018, 09:04 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
...If you are downsizing due to advancing age or ill health you might be wise to bear in mind that there could be some items you currently own that you would not want your kids to see if they are the ones who have to go through your stuff...
I have a particular drawer where I keep anything that might even come close to fitting that description. A friend of mine has already been assigned to clear it out quietly should anything happen to me.
Old 03 May 2018, 01:55 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
She also has quite a few boxes of photographs, dating back many decades.
There are actually places where you can donate photographs.

Seaboe
Old 03 May 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
Great to know. I will try to keep that in mind when the time comes (hopefully in a few decades.)
Old 04 May 2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
There are also organizations that buy old photographs to use in decorating kitschy restaurants, movie and TV productions, and other purposes such as that. So they could have some monetary value if that is of import.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:49 PM

Anybody else inspired to do a bit of decluttering due to this thread? We cleaned out the wardrobe this morning and have several bags of clothing to be donated.

My office might be next. Might be.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:32 PM

We're definitely making some progress. Took about 6 bags of clothes and as many boxes of books and dishware to the Salvation Army last week-end. I'm ashamed to admit that some of the clothes I discarded still had their tags attached.

I am finding now the tricky thing is negotiating with my kids. They still have stuff stored here even though they haven't lived at home for awhile. I need to get tough and insist that if they don't take it I'm donating or throwing it but I haven't reached that point yet! But it can't be the day we list the house so I am going to need get firmer!
Old 11 May 2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Anybody else inspired to do a bit of decluttering due to this thread?
I've gone in the opposite direction and the side table next to my bed which was previously uncluttered has now become so cluttered with new books that my alarm clock is no longer visible.

I guess I have been decluttering my garden though ... my housemates wanted to start a herb garden so I cleared out a whole section for them, starting by pulling out this big old golden diosma. Someone planted right outside the back door about 20 years ago it's been blocking the view to the rest of the garden for years and years and I've been meaning to get rid of it for a long time

I dug up the scrappy agapanthus plants on the left in the first photo as well, I'd planted them there years and years ago and they never flowered which I guess is a pretty good indication that they were in the wrong spot. I replanted the diosma and the agapanthuses in a public garden bed by the side of the road near my house which was pretty much empty so if they survive being transplanted they'll prettify the neighbourhood.