snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 23 May 2013, 06:06 AM

Icon27 Yes, Oklahoma Truthers Think Obama Used His Anti-Scandal Weather Magic

On Sunday, six days after a furious and deadly tornado, President Obama will reportedly head to Moore, Oklahoma. It took less than 48 hours for the truthers to furiously accuse the White House perhaps by way of George Soros of creating the tornado itself. If you thought 9/11 conspiracy theorists were bad, or the Sandy Hook and Boston bombing truthers were reckless, Obama's meteorological manipulation all to distract a country from three Washington scandals well, that might be a new level of ridiculous.

http://news.yahoo.com/yes-oklahoma-t...182006724.html
Old 23 May 2013, 06:58 AM

You know, if the President actually had a weather control machine I'd hope he'd have zapped Alex Jones with it by now.

Also, will Republicans finally stop doing interviews on his show and ordering congressional investigations based on things he says?
Old 23 May 2013, 07:05 AM

In fairness I have seen nuts from the left claim that George W. Bush deliberately used some secret sci-fi weather control technology to steer Hurricane Katrina into New Orleans.
Old 23 May 2013, 02:07 PM

*bangs head repeatedly on desk, stopping short of bleeding*
Old 23 May 2013, 02:53 PM

Wait a minute!! Moore, OK has been hit by 5 big tornadoes over the past 15 years. Every time tornadoes hit the topic of mandating stronger shelters in new houses come up. Every time Republican politicians shoot it down because they want a smaller government. When someone asks for stronger shelters, republicans shoot it down because they don't want taxpayers to pay for it.

And the 2013 tornado is Obama's fault? "Smaller government" doesn't work. What works is when you have a problem, the government does something to fix it or mitigate the damage. That's the whole reason we have governments.
Old 23 May 2013, 03:51 PM

When the tornado watches started, I started watching the livestream for Channel 4, which has an 'interactive zone' where people can chat with each other over facebook, twitter, etc. I had to switch livestreams--not because the weather information was better, but because the 'interactive zone' participants were driving me up the wall.

While there were people discussing the weather, there was also:
  • a spammer posting links to fbi and amber alert webpages (no active amber alert during this time)
  • a woman who claimed that with 30,000 prayers the tornado could change course, and so was counting down from that number every time someone else posted "prayers for those affected" or similar.
  • people who blamed Obama's HAARP policy
  • people who blamed Satan/God/homosexual marriage/the Great Spaghetti Monster
  • a person who claimed that a large earthquake was happening in CA, which freaked me out, because I have family in CA--fortunately, said person was lying and there was no such earthquake (who does that?)
Old 23 May 2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
[*] a person who claimed that a large earthquake was happening in CA, which freaked me out, because I have family in CA--fortunately, said person was lying and there was no such earthquake (who does that?)
Sounds like the same kind of people (including IIRC a man working in the office of an elected political official) who kept putting out misleading twitters during Hurricane Sandy. Kind people might find a psychological reason why people act like that. I'm not kind I guess, I think they're evil minded fools.
Old 23 May 2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
[*] a person who claimed that a large earthquake was happening in CA, which freaked me out, because I have family in CA--fortunately, said person was lying and there was no such earthquake (who does that?)[/LIST]
We did have a couple of 5.1 earthquakes in CAnada -- maybe he was confused?
Old 23 May 2013, 04:46 PM

The actual poster spelled out California, and made references to running into Oregon/Washington to flee, so I doubt it. His posts also seemed to be implying something larger than a 5, so my guess is that he is just a troll.
Old 23 May 2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
And the 2013 tornado is Obama's fault? "Smaller government" doesn't work. What works is when you have a problem, the government does something to fix it or mitigate the damage. That's the whole reason we have governments.
As Bill Maher said "The right has the greatest scam ever. Run for office on the claim that government doesn't work. Get elected and prove it."
Old 24 May 2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Wait a minute!! Moore, OK has been hit by 5 big tornadoes over the past 15 years. Every time tornadoes hit the topic of mandating stronger shelters in new houses come up. Every time Republican politicians shoot it down because they want a smaller government. When someone asks for stronger shelters, republicans shoot it down because they don't want taxpayers to pay for it.
The mayor of Moore is very outspoken about wanting to mandate shelters in new houses instead of just offering incentives to put them in (which is what they've done before). I expect this will happen on the local level.

And Moore, incidentally, despite being in a blue county, is very, very red.
Old 25 May 2013, 12:10 AM

No President who had the ability to control the weather would hesitate to use it, and no President who did so would keep it a secret. "As long as I'm in office, you'll have snow one day a year, and just enough rain and sun to keep your lawn green and feed the country."
Old 25 May 2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
No President who had the ability to control the weather would hesitate to use it, and no President who did so would keep it a secret. "As long as I'm in office, you'll have snow one day a year, and just enough rain and sun to keep your lawn green and feed the country."
"And America's enemies will be beset by hurricanes, tornadoes and blizzards until they surrender!"

Really, we can come up with a dozen ways to use a weather machine without going to "set a tornado loose in the middle of Tornado Alley to cover up a scandal."
Old 25 May 2013, 02:31 AM

All of you are missing the point of this--which is that our president is SHEER EVIL and would only use a weather machine to HARM AMERICANS. Especially in "REAL AMERICA."

Duh.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:45 AM

Not to mention that he has to keep it secret else he would be unmasked as Zeus or something foreign and he has to keep up appearances as a Christian