snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 January 2018, 12:16 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Growing up my parents grew their own kidney beans and dried them. .
You mean someone actually has to put them in the cans?!
Old 10 January 2018, 12:47 PM

I'm sure these days, they just hang the cans from the vine / plant and let the beans grow inside them so that they can harvest them ready-canned.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:05 PM

Stupid Marvel Cinematic Universe question (for TGG probably):

At the end of Iron Man 3, Pepper Potts has been turned into one of the Extremis, able to generate immense amounts of heat and regenerate almost any injury. Effectively turning her into a very powerful super hero. Why was this never brought up again? There have been at least two movies (Age of Ultron and Civil War) where she coul d have been used nor does she seem to be in Infinity Wars. Was Tony Stark able to "cure" her? Did she blow up?

ETA: Was it just that Gwyneth Paltrow didn't want to be in any more movies and the producers didn't want to Rhodes her?
Old 10 January 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeze042 View Post
Favism, aka g6pd deficiency, is extremely common in African Americans
I've heard it's also relatively common in people with Mediterranean descent.

Which would make sense, as I expect there's some mixture from Africa in that heritage.

My heritage is Ashkenazi Jewish. I don't much like favas; but I don't know whether the dislike is connected to any problem digesting them properly, as I may just never have eaten enough to trigger the reaction. They're not common around here; though I do see them in seed catalogs. I've decided not to grow them just in case either I or a customer has the wrong genetics.

-- this site says "Mediterranean, Southeast Asian, or African descent".
Old 10 January 2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Stupid Marvel Cinematic Universe question (for TGG probably):

At the end of Iron Man 3, Pepper Potts has been turned into one of the Extremis, able to generate immense amounts of heat and regenerate almost any injury. Effectively turning her into a very powerful super hero. Why was this never brought up again? There have been at least two movies (Age of Ultron and Civil War) where she coul d have been used nor does she seem to be in Infinity Wars. Was Tony Stark able to "cure" her? Did she blow up?

ETA: Was it just that Gwyneth Paltrow didn't want to be in any more movies and the producers didn't want to Rhodes her?
According to the MCU Wiki:

Quote:
During the crisis surrounding the Mandarin's terrorist attacks, Potts was kidnapped by Aldrich Killian and injected with Extremis. She was freed by Stark during the Battle on the Norco, and went on to kill Killian herself. Stark cured her of the effects of Extremis, who temporarily gave up being Iron Man just for her.

As the War on HYDRA began, the Avengers needed to be remobilized. Without S.H.I.E.L.D. active to run the team, Stark took over, allowing Captain America to retain field and team leadership while he designed everything else, including creating new armors and rejoining the team himself as an active duty combatant. Sometime after the Ultron Offensive, he and Potts broke off their relationship, which affected Stark and left him wondering why he could not make it work while his father could. However, shortly after the Avengers Civil War ended, Stark and Potts resumed their relationship.
Bolding mine.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:49 AM

Mouse

Tony should probably just give Pepper the armor, let her do the high-octane battles while he’s the tech developer, ‘cause Iron Man 3 clearly proved that she’s better at the superheroics than Tony. At the same time, I have the same grievance with her that I do with the rest of the Avengers; Tony has become more and more of a quivering mess of PTSD with each subsequent film and no one’s suggested to him that maybe he could benefit from some therapy. In fact, my grievance may even be greater when it comes to Pepper. She’s been a part of his life and inner circle for a while, so why hasn’t she made the suggestion?
Old 11 January 2018, 12:38 PM

Maybe Pepper has suggested and urged Tony to get help, but the movie has not shown their every interaction. I think it would be good if they DID show him talking to someone, but I also know from real world that pushing someone to get help doesn't always work out.
Old 13 January 2018, 02:35 AM

Mouse

It doesn't always work out, but again, the fact that no one has even made the suggestion, makes me cast a suspicious glance at pretty much all the good guys in the MCU.

Okay, does anybody know if there's some kind of, I don't know, codebreaking website, where you can enter in a code and see how long it takes the website or whatever, to break it? Just always had a general fascination with the subject.
Old 14 January 2018, 02:12 AM

Mouse

Sorry to double-post, but is there a website or something that takes classic literature, like 19th century lit, and tells you which stuff is just filler and can be safely skipped without the reader missing out on too much, something akin to this one which provides advice on which parts in Les Miserables you can skip? I've heard rumors that the ten percent of Moby Dick* that's about, y'know, hunting the white whale, is pretty decent, but it is surrounded by countless passages about whaling, the equipment used in whaling, the many uses of whale oil, and the like. I want to find out if those rumors are true.

I know, I know, the English majors on this board are probably appalled, but before you judge me, I'm an English major, just more of a writing emphasis. And if the story interests me enough, I might actually go back and reread the passages I skipped.

Right now, so many of 19th century lit is the equivalent of being thrown into the Atlantic Ocean and told to swim. However well you may be able to swim, you'd like to have a clear view of where your destination is, so you'll know when you've reached it. Also, it'd be nice to have a boat to help you out. Maybe if you ride in a boat, there are stuff you'll miss out on, but it's easier to swim an ocean or really succeed in any sport, if you have an overview of the field.

I'm using that link to read Les Miserables and I find myself enjoying the book more than I remember from high school. Yeah, I was all callow and stupid in high school, but it does help a little, paring the fat. In doing so, I'm starting to get more of an appreciation as to what Victor Hugo was trying to do. Hugo was trying to tell a story about Jean Valjean, but he was also trying to do something much bigger, capture an entire era, its moods and ideas, via writing. I don't always enjoy it, but I understand it better.

*I'm wondering if that may be the most unrealistic part of Star Trek, the fact that both villains and heroes are obsessed with it. Given how far removed from my experiences and how foreign it seems to me, it should be even more incomprehensible to the Star Trek-verse. Maybe if Khan had been given some better reading material, he might have reformed.
Old 14 January 2018, 04:35 PM

Baseball

I have read a few classics, including chapters that only describe a room.

I know that they did it because the medium for their audience at the time was the newspaper, and people would read the epic on weekly schedules.

But, that does not help the modern reader. I am interested in knowing if there is a website like the one Mouse describes.

As for Star Trek... they like all the classics. I am an unashamed fan of the Bard, and I love all his references in the show. I'm even not ashamed to admit that there are Bard references that I miss. But Dickens, Shakespeare, Hugo, Dumas and probably Russian authors are part of the very fabric of Star Trek.

Keeps the Star Trek fandom grounded in literature.

And for the record, perhaps my favourite novel of all time is The Three Musketeers, which I've read in English and French. It is there where I found the chapter solely dedicated to describing Athos room at his lodgings.
Old 14 January 2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
something akin to this one which provides advice on which parts in Les Miserables you can skip?
Not just websites - my copy of Les Miserables itself (Penguin Classics edition) actually moves two whole sections of the book into appendices at the back so that you can easily skip them! (Part 2 Book 7 about convents and monasteries, and Part 4 Book 7 about slang or argot).

It kind of annoyed me, and so when I got to those parts I skipped to the back and read them in the order that Hugo had written them (and found them interesting), but if the actual publishers consider parts of the book to be "filler" then perhaps there's a case to be made...!
Old 14 January 2018, 05:49 PM

I found the whaling parts of Moby Dick to be fascinating. I've since purchased several books on whaling and even tracked down an old movie which was shot on an original whaling vessel.

Although I love the Hemingway style of not putting too much detail in a book, I also love when an author spends some time explaining something that I would not otherwise know.
Old 14 January 2018, 06:24 PM

I think you can miss a lot by approaching a literary work as containing "filler." I'm another who enjoyed the whaling and cetology parts of Moby Dick, and similarly, with the help of a very astute Shakespeare professor, I realized that thinking of any scene in his plays as just "comic relief" is wrong. In either case, great authors make choices about content. The Shakespeare example in particular -- I am very confident that no "comic relief" scene fails to also add substantively to the play.

I think it's fine if people want to read an abridged version of something so they can get the gist of it. But it will be an abridged version, and not somehow a better version of itself.
Old 15 January 2018, 03:41 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Not just websites - my copy of Les Miserables itself (Penguin Classics edition) actually moves two whole sections of the book into appendices at the back so that you can easily skip them! (Part 2 Book 7 about convents and monasteries, and Part 4 Book 7 about slang or argot).

It kind of annoyed me, and so when I got to those parts I skipped to the back and read them in the order that Hugo had written them (and found them interesting), but if the actual publishers consider parts of the book to be "filler" then perhaps there's a case to be made...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I think it's fine if people want to read an abridged version of something so they can get the gist of it. But it will be an abridged version, and not somehow a better version of itself.
I understand both of your views. In all likelihood, if I really liked the book, I would probably be more open to reading the extra stuff.

Have to admit that when I first took on Lord of the Rings, I skimmed most of the poetry because I was like, “They’re on the run from a dark lord, yet they have time to have all these song numbers?!” After reading the series and gaining more of an overview as to what Tolkien was trying to do, I started reading some of the parts I used to skip and looking at them in a new light.

Again a story’s easier to understand once you have a better sense of the playing field. Though no matter how many times I’ve reread Lord of the Rings, Tom Bombadill still seems like a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment. Sorry, Tolkien fanatics, but I think the adaptations are being smart when they cut Tom out and get the hobbits to The Prancing Pony.
#sorrynotsorry
Old 15 January 2018, 04:11 PM

Tom does seem like an unnecessary diversion, but I like the magic and mystery attached to him. Not even the Elves or Gandalf really understand who or what he is.
Old 15 January 2018, 04:40 PM

Icon106

Tolkien did explain a bit about what Tom Bombadil's role in the story was:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bo...t_and_creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorTolkien
I might put it this way. The story is cast in terms of a good side, and a bad side, beauty against ruthless ugliness, tyranny against kingship, moderated freedom with consent against compulsion that has long lost any object save mere power, and so on; but both sides in some degree, conservative or destructive, want a measure of control. But if you have, as it were, taken 'a vow of poverty', renounced control, and take your delight in things for themselves without reference to yourself, watching, observing, and to some extent knowing, then the questions of the rights and wrongs of power and control might become utterly meaningless to you, and the means of power quite valueless...
Old 15 January 2018, 07:57 PM

How can I have caught a cold when I haven't been out of the bloody house for two days?
Old 16 January 2018, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
How can I have caught a cold when I haven't been out of the bloody house for two days?
Maybe this cold takes three days to incubate?
Old 16 January 2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Maybe this cold takes three days to incubate?
Not my field of biology but I have heard that about colds and flus.
Old 16 January 2018, 02:48 PM

My stupid question of the day: a recent news story was about siblings found chained up in their parents home and I wondered (not for the first time) who pays for any medical care they may need? Surely these vulnerable people are not going to be presented with a hospital bill?