snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 January 2018, 12:30 AM

Baseball

And after I post, I see one other answer. The tequila question...

The answer others put down was who I was thinking of, but for whatever reason I grabbed the wrong name.

Coffee for Tequila!
Old 13 January 2018, 02:10 AM

Yeah, I didn't get the tequila question. Which annoyed me, since once I saw everyone else's answers, it seemed really, really obvious.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:56 AM

Hello, all. Time for Tuesday Trivia.

LAST WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Katy Perry, Alice Cooper, and Jessica Simpson were all raised by fathers with what profession in common?
They were all the children of ministers. Parents, don't be too strict with your kids.

2. The Roman general who conquered Britain is best known by what name, the Latin for "farmer"?
Agricola was not the organic soft drink he sounds like.

3. What 1984 movie is the only film in the Internet Movie Database whose user score is always listed out of 11 stars, not 10?
This Is Spinal Tap. Why don't you just make ten the top rating and make that a little more acclaimed?

4. Two physicists won the 2015 Nobel Prize for discovering that at least some neutrinos have mass. Name either of the two known elementary particles--both "force carriers"--still thought to be massless.
Photons mediate electromagnetism and gluons mediate the strong nuclear force, and both are (probably) massless.

5. What Spanish businessman was the first settler given a permit in 1795 to bottle the previously banned product of tequila?
There was a real-life Jose Cuervo, and he got muy muy rico.

6. In what groundbreaking "nonfiction novel" of 1966 does Perry Smith say of Herbert Clutter, "I thought he was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat"?
In Cold Blood, in which Truman Capote pretty much invented the true crime genre. Roughly ten thousand podcasts are all. His. Fault.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Courteney Cox, Micky Dolenz, Tom Ford, Thomas Hardy, Thomas Jefferson, William Morris, Queen Noor, Anthony Quinn, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Seal, George Takei, Roger Waters.
Each studied architecture before moving on to other pursuits--hence the Pink Floyd album Music for Architectural Students.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973?

2. The only dog ever to get his own Entertainment Weekly cover was Moose, better known for playing "Eddie" on what TV show?

3. What Austrian pediatrician first outlined the difference between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" autism?

4. The 1920 Olympics were awarded to what city, though some events were held in nearby Ostend and Amsterdam?

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man?

6. What variety of "shepherd-style" Mexican taco is actually a local adaptation of Lebanese shawarma?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these rivers? Cooper, Detroit, Jordan, Niagara, Syr Darya, Ural, Volga.

Enjoy!
Old 16 January 2018, 11:12 AM

I knew a few of last week's answers, but forgot to post! I read them on my phone, but didn't post because it's a pain to get the formatting right to hide my answers, then forgot to get on my computer to post. D'OH!

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973? Stockholm Syndrome

2. The only dog ever to get his own Entertainment Weekly cover was Moose, better known for playing "Eddie" on what TV show? Frasier

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man? Guy Fawkes
Old 16 January 2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these rivers? Cooper, Detroit, Jordan, Niagara, Syr Darya, Ural, Volga.
I don't know all the rivers but parts of the the Detroit and Niagara rivers form the border between the US and Canada. So, I'm going with that the rivers form parts of the borders between countries.

-- Karyn
Old 16 January 2018, 12:06 PM

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973?

Stockholm syndrome

3. What Austrian pediatrician first outlined the difference between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" autism?

Asperger

4. The 1920 Olympics were awarded to what city, though some events were held in nearby Ostend and Amsterdam?

Antwerpen

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man?

Guy Fawkes
Old 16 January 2018, 12:08 PM

1. Stockholm syndrome.

2. No idea

3. Asperger, presumably.

4. Well it sounds like it has to be somewhere in the Netherlands... Utrecht?

5. Guy Fawkes.

6. I don't know Mexican food. It would have to be some sort of lamb tortilla wrap, I guess. I wonder how it got there?

Quote:
Is this as easy as all forming part of the borders between countries (and / or continental plates, in some cases)? Those seem like two different answers so if it's one or the other, countries.
Old 16 January 2018, 01:00 PM

Whalephant

#6 tacos al pastor, maybe?
Old 16 January 2018, 01:14 PM

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973? That's be Stockholm Syndrome

2. The only dog ever to get his own Entertainment Weekly cover was Moose, better known for playing "Eddie" on what TV show? Frasier

Asberger

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man? Guy Fawkes
Old 16 January 2018, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Stockholm Syndrome.
Quote:

2. The only dog ever to get his own Entertainment Weekly cover was Moose, better known for playing "Eddie" on what TV show?
Married with Children? I can't recall an Eddie on any TV show I actually watched.
Quote:

Asperger?
Quote:

Not Oslo, that was in the 50s (and I don't believe Amsterdam can be considered particularly close). Hmmm. Rotterdam? This is one of those where I think I'll recognize the answer, but can't think of it on my own.
Quote:

Guy Fawkes, I assume.
Quote:

6. What variety of "shepherd-style" Mexican taco is actually a local adaptation of Lebanese shawarma?
Lamb.
Quote:

I'd say they flow north, but the list omits the Nile. They're inland waterways with a lot of boat traffic?

Seaboe
Old 16 January 2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn View Post
I don't know all the rivers but parts of the the Detroit and Niagara rivers form the border between the US and Canada. So, I'm going with that the rivers form parts of the borders between countries.
I don't think that is all that unusual. And while the question didn't say that the list was all-inclusive, leaving off the Rio Grande seems odd.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't think that is all that unusual. And while the question didn't say that the list was all-inclusive, leaving off the Rio Grande seems odd.
I agree. I think it's pretty common for rivers to form borders. A couple more off the top of my head - St. Lawrence, Congo
Old 16 January 2018, 05:42 PM

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973? Stockholm Syndrome

3. What Austrian pediatrician first outlined the difference between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" autism? Asperger?

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man? Guy Fawkes (the gunpowder plot)?

6. What variety of "shepherd-style" Mexican taco is actually a local adaptation of Lebanese shawarma? al pastor
Old 16 January 2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't think that is all that unusual.
Well a couple of them (Ural, Jordan) also divide continents, or at least continental plates (Jordan) / arbitrary definitions of continents (Ural) but I don't know if the rest do. It would have to be continental plates since there's obviously no division in conventional continents between the USA and Canada. I'm not sure if they're on different continental plates either, though, or if there's a continental plate divide at the conventional division between Europe and Asia.

(eta) It wouldn't be a complete list for that, either - I've walked over a river / stream in Iceland that also meets that criterion. But the question doesn't say it's a complete list, and there are definitely fewer of these than there are for the other idea.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:40 PM

Given the mostly flat and earthquake-less nature of the Great Lakes region, I would say that that section of North America is a single continental plate. IMS, only the edge of California and parts of Alaska are on a separate plate.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:14 PM

If the Cooper here is the one in South CarolinaThen it's not a national boundary and it doesn't run north. They all have marathons named for them?
Old 16 January 2018, 10:45 PM

Another possibility - do they all flow into lakes (or other inland bodies of water) rather than the sea? Then either they don't flow out at all (the Jordan) or the outflow is a different river (the ones around the Great Lakes?)? (eta) The Ural might well flow into the Caspian Sea, which is not connected to other seas.

I'm not sure how unusual that is, either.
Old 17 January 2018, 06:28 AM

Must be Stockholm syndrome.

Asperger?

Must be in the Netherlands. Den Haag (The Hague)?

Crime in 1605? Guessing Robin Hood.

ETA: Having seen other answers for No. 5., I am obviously wrong.

For No. 7., do all these rivers flow out of lakes?
Old 17 January 2018, 01:27 PM

1. Stockholm Syndrome.

2. Frasier.

3. Asperger?

4. Antwerp.

5. Guy Fawkes.

6. Al pastor.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 17 January 2018, 02:50 PM

Glasses

Re GenYus's post, there's also the Juan de Fuca plate (which, I grant you, is itty-bitty)

Seaboe.