snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 September 2018, 08:52 AM

Default Making Money on Instagram Advertising Cigarettes

Behind The News wants teachers to ask: what the hell?

https://youtu.be/3twnHbZoqwM

In fact, as a non-smoker, I thought Australia had restrictions on the packaging too.

Incidentally, our anti-smoking propaganda is a government initiative and is designed to scare the shit out of us. Like this piece of absolute nightmare fuel.
Old 21 September 2018, 10:01 AM

To clarify because I was stupid: this is about social media influencers advertising cigarettes.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:38 PM

The link goes to a 3.24 minute video, professionally made and quite engaging, discussing how cigarette companies pay influential figures in social media to subtly advertise cigarettes, getting around Australia's ban on cigarette advertisement.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
The link goes to a 3.24 minute video, professionally made and quite engaging, discussing how cigarette companies pay influential figures in social media to subtly advertise cigarettes, getting around Australia's ban on cigarette advertisement.
To further clarify: the video is a segment from the ABC-TV show Behind The News, which phrases news items so they can be used for classroom discussion. The website for the show is http://www.abc.net.au/btn (the actual show airs on Tuesdays). I’m expecting that the YouTube channel will be useful when my nephew enters the latter half of his primary school years.

Honestly, considering the show’s been around for more than fifty years (and I’ve now posted three threads that use it as a source), it’s a surprise that “news shows for kids” isn’t much of a genre. Then again, we also somehow managed to corner the market on “localised versions of Play School” (originally a British show, with Canadian, New Zealand and Norwegian editions as well, but our show has outlasted all of them).
Old 21 September 2018, 02:13 PM

There's an old SF story -- I think it's Harlan Ellison, but I'm apparently remembering the name wrong and I can't find it -- in which all advertising is illegal and considered horribly immoral -- but all the stars of "reality" shows which everyone watches use brand name products with the brand names shown conspicuously.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the story predates actual "reality" shows.