snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 September 2018, 09:12 PM

Baseball U.S. school brings back paddling as punishment

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/u-s...ment-1.4087539

Quote:
A Georgia school has decided to bring back a controversial form of corporal punishment for students who misbehave: up to three “licks” with a wooden paddle.

Students who act out at the Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics in Hephzibah may now be asked to kneel in an office, behind closed doors, and receive strikes on their buttocks.

The school’s superintendent, Jody Boulineau, told local news station WKRC that bringing back padding is necessary for educators at the discipline-focused charter school.
My two thoughts (and it is not anti-American):

- is conservatism in the US purposefully trying to bring the US back to the 19th century? (rhetorical)

- as a Charter school, is this school eligible for federal funding in Betsy DeVos system of moving dollars to private schools? (real question)

I could have been blown away with a feather when I read this. And the comments.... enough said.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:33 PM

Blinks.

I think it says something about where I've been on the internet that my first response is that paddling should remain between consenting adults. So I'd side-eye anyone who is okay with administrating this punishment.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:37 PM

I think Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics is trying to bring the US back to the 5th century BCE:

Quote:
GSIC will deliver a classical education centered on the three phases of the classical Trivium. The critical thinking skills developed through the rigorous use of the Socratic Method throughout the curriculum will foster an ethic of self-leadership and be a platform for learning the four Classical Virtues: Wisdom, Justice, Temperance, and Courage.
Funding for charter schools is pretty convoluted. For example, in Georgia there are both local charter schools, who receive funding from both the local school district and from the state, and state charter schools, who receive funding from only the state level. The Federal government funds charter schools through the Charter Schools Program, which provides funding at the state level, each state is then responsible for disbursement.

In general though, any funds provided to a charter school are generally funds that would otherwise be provided to a traditional public school.

ETA: Mandatory Simpsons link.
Old 10 September 2018, 09:37 PM

Quoted by UEL, not written by UEL:

Quote:
bringing back padding is necessary for educators
Interesting typo they've got there. Sounds to me as if bringing back padding (as in bringing padding to be worn at one's backside) may be necessary for the students.

I don't know what DeVos thinks of this. It would be interesting for somebody to ask her (I doubt I'd get an answer if I tried to do so).

ETA: I don't know if they know as much about Socrates as they think they do. He kept getting in trouble with the authorities because they thought he was subverting the students.

Last edited by thorny locust; 10 September 2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11 September 2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
- is conservatism in the US purposefully trying to bring the US back to the 19th century? (rhetorical)
Fun fact: Australia waited until 1999 to finally get rid of corporal punishment in government schools.

Other fun fact: America actually hasn’t yet.
Old 11 September 2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I think Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics is trying to bring the US back to the 5th century BCE:
Ha, so where does the "innovation" part come in I wonder?
Old 11 September 2018, 04:05 PM

They are trying to emulate the Great English boarding schools of 1890.
Old 11 September 2018, 04:24 PM

I think its a great idea; Let those misbehaving kids paddle a canoe around for a while. That'll give em an attitude adjustment.
Old 11 September 2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Ha, so where does the "innovation" part come in I wonder?
Getting the government to pay for it!
Old 11 September 2018, 05:49 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
They are trying to emulate the Great English boarding schools of 1890.
So that's why they're called boarding schools! I thought it meant something else.
Old 15 September 2018, 01:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I think its a great idea; Let those misbehaving kids paddle a canoe around for a while. That'll give em an attitude adjustment.
Paddling the school canoe? You better believe that’s a paddling.

Though to provide a more meaningful contribution to this thread, given all the skeeviness associated with charter schools, I can’t say this surprises me too much. There are probably more regulations for people who want to cut hair for a living, than there are for those who want to run a charter school that might theoretically educate the next generation.