Old 16 January 2013, 12:35 AM

Icon605 WalMart stops selling firearms?

Comment: Is Walmart not replenishing stock on firearms and/or ammo? Rumor
has it that all stores will not reorder and will no longer sell
firearms/ammo.
Old 17 January 2013, 04:35 PM

Default Walmart’s On-Again, Off-Again Relationship with Guns

http://business.time.com/2013/01/11/...hip-with-guns/

Doesn't sound like they're making any immediate changes. This article talks about a petition to ask them to stop selling assault weapons, which doens't make it sound like they're getting rid of the rest of their stock.
Old 17 January 2013, 05:37 PM

If you search "run on guns" or "run on ammo", you'll find several news articles stating that guns and ammo are selling out at most stores, supposedly because people fear that the president is going to take their guns away. So I wouldn't be surprised to walk into a Wal-Mart and find that the shelves were emptied of guns. And since all the other stores are selling out too, ordering more must be a problem right now.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:44 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
So I wouldn't be surprised to walk into a Wal-Mart and find that the shelves were emptied of guns.
Emptied shelves/racks means, of course, that Obama had the UN seize all the guns in Wal-Marts across the country, and has somehow forbidden them to re-order stock.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:14 AM

Wow. I had no idea you could buy guns and ammo at supermarkets in the US. You learn something new every day.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:18 AM

Walmart is a chain of department stores. A large (and growing) number of them have grocery departments in addition to all the other stuff, but most of the stuff in those stores is still stuff you wouldn't find in a normal supermarket.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 18 January 2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 18 January 2013, 01:40 PM

And other stores of the same type, like Target and the few Kmarts that remain, do not sell guns or ammo, AFAIK.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:19 PM

Supermarket, department store - it's still strange to most Non-Americans.

In Germany, if you want to buy a gun, you have to go to a dedicated gun shop. There you must of course prove that you are licensed to own a gun. You are licensed by the gouvernment, and only if you can prove a need (basicall, you're a licensed hunter or a sport shooter; professionals using weapons - police, security - will get the gun through their employer).

You are than only allowed to carry the gun between your house and the shooting range or the area where you go for hunting. The gun has to be un-armed and secured during transport.

Dropping into a department store and buying an assault rifle and lots of ammunition just for the heck of it is a very foreign concept to me.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:49 PM

It was strange to me before I knew about Wal-Mart. I imagine a lot of other Americans had the same experience. As I said above, other stores of that type do not sell guns or ammo.

ETA: Has Wal-Mart really sold assault weapons? I didn't know that. That would have shocked me even more.
Old 18 January 2013, 02:50 PM

Wal-Mart, as others have pointed out, was a department store before it started selling groceries. Historically, Wal-Marts were mainly sited in rural areas and were likely the only major store in a large area, so it made sense for them to sell hunting (and fishing) supplies.

Nick
Old 18 January 2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: Has Wal-Mart really sold assault weapons? I didn't know that. That would have shocked me even more.
If you are going by the 1994 definition, they still do (but they show out of stock in the stores around here). Wal-Mart shows this item on their website. It accepts a detachable magazine, has pistol grips and a flash suppressor. Those three are enough to make it an assualt weapon under the 1994 rules. It might also have a telescoping stock, which is another qualifying trait.