snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 17 January 2013, 04:10 PM

Totally random thought but I wonder how much accomodation anyone could expect if instead of having pedophobia they had a phobia about being around blacks or someone of the opposite gender? Further random thought, did this woman ever try to get some counselling for her phobia? I know counselling can't solve everything but given her career choice and that she knew she had this problem since sometime in the '90s I would have expected there to be some mention that she'd made an effort on her own to try to deal with this.

Last edited by Sue; 17 January 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 04:41 PM

If there was a legitimate reason that black people were segregated from white people and there were many jobs dealing with just the white people? I would say it would be reasonable to assign that person to the white group.
Old 17 January 2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Further random thought, did this woman ever try to get some counselling for her phobia? I know counselling can't solve everything
The most successful forms of treatment for phobias tend to combine physical relaxation techniques with a graduated exposure to the phobic stimulus (first imagining it, then being in a big room with one of it at the other end, etc).

I suspect that the 'graduated exposure' bit is probably tricky to do with children.