snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 18 April 2007, 04:30 PM
Howard

Default Wedding of the Year

A coworker of mine sent me an e-mail with these pictures attached. I told her they were most likely real, but she wanted me to check it out on snopes since I'm the one always sending the snopes link e-mails.

One of the pictures

One of the websites hosting the pictures

As I said, I'm pretty sure it's of an actual ceremony, but I haven't had any luck finding the origins yet.
Old 18 April 2007, 04:33 PM

Damn it, when will physically unattractive people learn they have no right to happiness?
Old 18 April 2007, 04:40 PM

The biggest problem I had with these photos was that the happy couple look awfully young to be getting married...

...and then I remembered that people who don't look perfect should be despised, ridiculed, and locked in attics, to be released only on All Hallow's Eve, when the terror that they inspire in the populace can become the stuff of legend.
Old 18 April 2007, 04:53 PM

We discussed this on the old board but it doesn't appear there was ever a determination made.

Gibbie
Old 18 April 2007, 04:56 PM

It looks to me like it was set up to be some sort of a joke, the groom seems to be wearing a set of false "Billy Bob" teeth in the final photo, that combined with the ass-grab makes me think that these photos were definitely meant to be jokes. Whether the two were really getting married and did those silly photos as a bit of additional fun, or whether the whole thing is staged I don't know.
Old 18 April 2007, 05:01 PM

My boss sent me this. I added it to my file of inappropriate emails she's sent me. You never know when you might need some ammo.
Old 18 April 2007, 05:03 PM

I remember these from the old board. I think it would be a big expense for a set of joke photos. I don't see any reason to think they are fake. A couple of photos toward the end seem like they are joking around.
Old 18 April 2007, 05:22 PM

I'm not really getting the joke, not even if I put my sense of humour down five notches and my twattishness up by ten. The photos really aren't that bad. The few last pictures, presuming all the photos are of a genuine wedding, are probably jokey pictures for friends or just for the couple themselves (either that are the pair are unashamedly playful). And sure, the guy has dental issues. And sure, the bride is big, but she still looks nice. The red and white scheme is nice, too. I wonder if the footwear is an in-joke of some kind...
Old 18 April 2007, 05:25 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKeeper View Post
I remember these from the old board. I think it would be a big expense for a set of joke photos. I don't see any reason to think they are fake. A couple of photos toward the end seem like they are joking around.
Heck, at my wedding, we had a number of "joke" photos. That's not unusual.
Old 19 April 2007, 01:30 AM

Glasses

This seems to be a nice, low-key wedding. The bride is wearing a very pretty gown and the groom is dressed respectably. (Not every man is willing to self-tux!)

The shoes are really only shown in outdoor shots. I think perhaps the couple changed out of easily muddied indoor shoes for the pictures. ETA: Another possibility is that the shoe bag got left in the living room and no-one had the key.... I bet other couples have left things behind.

The bridesmaids are wearing pretty red dresses. They even look re-usable to me, so kudos to the bride!

The groomsmen look like they are wearing uniforms of some sort. This idea is reinforced by the setting of the photos. The doors look like those found on an emergency squad building, or perhaps a firehouse.

So....

uhm...

what's the big deal?

Morning
(some comments recycled from post on old boards)
Old 19 April 2007, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Damn it, when will physically unattractive people learn they have no right to happiness?
About the time grandmothers stop wearing bikinis on the beach.
Old 19 April 2007, 05:45 AM

I don't see what's particularly weird about that couple. I mean, it's not like the woman's 500 pounds and the guy's a toothpick.

If anything, I find those photos inspiring, even more so if the couple stayed together. After all, we see couples like this all the time. Is it really so weird?
Old 19 April 2007, 06:24 AM
Jelly Bean Queen

Icon401

The website is petty and mean. So they aren't exactly everyone's ideal of beauty but they probably are each other's ideal and that's all that matters.

I second the kudos to the bride on the choice of bridesmaid dresses. They do look totally reusable and not over the top expensive either. Show's that the bride is probably a considerate and caring friend.

My SO and I are both fattys. Some mean spirited wedding guests (now ex-friends) commented that it was the Dweedle-dee and Dweedle-dum wedding. Of course I now realise that we had no right to a happy, romantic wedding and wonderful marriage (The Bear is still the light of my life) because we aren't attractive people.
Old 19 April 2007, 06:57 PM
JD65

The biggest problem I had with these photos was that the happy couple look awfully young to be getting married...

Why is that? They don't look too young to me. My ex wife was married at 17. Not to me, to her first ex husband. She's now 33, and living with a 68 year old. Now THAT'S creepy.
Old 19 April 2007, 07:06 PM
Rehcsif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD65 View Post

Why is that? They don't look too young to me. My ex wife was married at 17. Not to me, to her first ex husband. She's now 33, and living with a 68 year old. Now THAT'S creepy.
Please -- absolutely no offense is intended, but the fact that she's failed at least two marriages since then tells me that she wasn't quite ready to be married at 17...

Heck, most 17-year old's don't even know what their college major will be (or even if they'll go to college) much less enough about themselves to choose a life partner.

-Tim
Old 19 April 2007, 07:15 PM

Add me to the list of people that looked at these and went "wow, that wedding looks like it was laid back and fun!" and "they sure look happy together!"

I thought her dress was really pretty too!

I would vote real couple, real wedding...and really mean people that found the pictures (maybe the couple had a website?) and decided to mock them. They're probably not half as happy in their lives as the couple in the pictures!

ETA: In some of the pictures you can even see the wedding rings. That would be a simple detail a fake set up could easily leave out.
Old 19 April 2007, 07:25 PM

Wow, I can't believe anyone would think there was anything wrong with these pictures or the couple. If I ever get remarried I want it to be as low-key and fun as this looks. Everyone looks happy and it looks like they didn't have to spend a fortune to be that way. That's happiness.
Old 19 April 2007, 07:28 PM

I worked in wedding photography for a year... which I suppose gives me some expertise as regards such things. I vote real.

I've seen pairings as incongruous, or more so, than this one. There's nothing in the pictures at all that leads me to believe that these would be faked. Yes, the last couple of pictures are 'jokey' pictures, but you wouldn't believe some of the things our photographers took... A picture of the groom and his best man with trousers down, cupping each others' buttocks, and other strangenesses.
Old 19 April 2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehcsif View Post
Please -- absolutely no offense is intended, but the fact that she's failed at least two marriages since then tells me that she wasn't quite ready to be married at 17...
I don't think anyone's ready to be married at 17, but I also don't think people "fail marriages." Marriages fail; it's not necessarily a reflection on the participants.
Old 19 April 2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
The website is petty and mean. So they aren't exactly everyone's ideal of beauty but they probably are each other's ideal and that's all that matters.
The world would be a much better place if more people understood and believed the proceeding quote. SO and I are doing our parts to set them straight, with me being 100 pounds over weight and him being as furry as Sasquach. We couldn’t be happier with each other’s looks - running my fingers though his chest hair is so damn sexy. Is that TMI?

Quote:
I knew a couple who were 47 and 72 who were happily married for (when I knew them) over 20 years. Absolutely fantastic folks, both of them, and you’d have guessed she was at least 10 years younger and he was at least 20 years younger just from the way they were. They were neighbors where I used to live, and I wish I’d stayed in touch.

Quote:
Hindsight is 20-20. Even if she wasn’t ready for marriage at that age, it doesn’t mean that no one is ready (which leads into below).

Quote:
Heck, most 17-year old's don't even know what their college major will be (or even if they'll go to college) much less enough about themselves to choose a life partner.
Quote:
I don't think anyone's ready to be married at 17, but I also don't think people "fail marriages." Marriages fail; it's not necessarily a reflection on the participants.
I could agree that many 17 year olds are far from being ready for marriage, but that still leaves quite a few who are. Why needlessly paint everyone with the same brush?