snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 10 June 2014, 01:50 PM

Baseball I think I'm 4 for 7

1. The new book by French economist Thomas Piketty recalls the title of an 1867 text as it considers the implications of what "in the Twenty-First Century"? Implications of eating cheese

2. The 1st and 4th top-grossing romantic comedies of the 1990s--one released in 1990 and the other in 1999--both starred what pair of leads? Julia Roberts and Richard Gere

3. What are you shopping for if you've bought russets, fingerlings, and Yukon Golds? Potatoes. Fredericton is home of the Canadian Potato Research Centre.

4. What country was Mohammed Mossadegh leading in 1953 when U.S and British intelligence organized his ouster? Iran

5. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993. What's the only Canadian team to make it to the finals twice since then, though they've never won the Cup in their franchise history? Vancouver

6. Of the digits 0 through 9, which is by far the last to make its first appearance in a decimal expansion of pi? 0. I'm guessing here. I go as far as 3.14 and then I'm winging it.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these biblical figures? Abel, Cain, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Samuel, and Seth. I'm guessing that both their parents names are in the Bible.
Old 10 June 2014, 02:04 PM

1 is Capital.
Old 10 June 2014, 02:09 PM

#3 is potatoes

#4 is Iran
Old 10 June 2014, 02:50 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The new book by French economist Thomas Piketty recalls the title of an 1867 text as it considers the implications of what "in the Twenty-First Century"?
David Copperfield
Quote:

2. The 1st and 4th top-grossing romantic comedies of the 1990s--one released in 1990 and the other in 1999--both starred what pair of leads?
Cher & the guy who stared in the American Treasure films (not to mention Raising Arizona) but whose name completely escapes me at the moment.
Quote:

3. What are you shopping for if you've bought russets, fingerlings, and Yukon Golds?
potatoes (see, there is an e!)
Quote:

4. What country was Mohammed Mossadegh leading in 1953 when U.S and British intelligence organized his ouster?
Iran
Quote:

5. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993. What's the only Canadian team to make it to the finals twice since then, though they've never won the Cup in their franchise history?
Toronto Mapleleafs
Quote:

6. Of the digits 0 through 9, which is by far the last to make its first appearance in a decimal expansion of pi?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these biblical figures? Abel, Cain, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Samuel, and Seth.
Well, the first two and the last are Adam's sons (setting aside the argument that could be made that they are all Adam's sons). I don't know the Bible well enough to know much more than that.

ETA: Music geek, thanks for pointing out the errors in last week's answers. I thought of doing that, but you did it much more elegantly than I would've.

Seaboe
Old 10 June 2014, 03:23 PM

2. Julia Roberts and Richard Gere (Pretty Woman and Runaway Bride)

3. Potatoes

5. Vancouver Canucks

7. All had a main character brought back from the dead for a later season?
Old 10 June 2014, 03:27 PM

Seaboe, I believe you're thinking of Nicolas Cage.
Old 10 June 2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
1 is Capital.
It asks about the older book referenced, so yeah, Capital in English, Das Kapital in the original German.
Old 10 June 2014, 03:58 PM

Actually, it doesn't ask for the title of either book.
Old 10 June 2014, 06:16 PM

1. The new book by French economist Thomas Piketty recalls the title of an 1867 text as it considers the implications of what "in the Twenty-First Century"?

Capital.

2. The 1st and 4th top-grossing romantic comedies of the 1990s--one released in 1990 and the other in 1999--both starred what pair of leads?

Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

3. What are you shopping for if you've bought russets, fingerlings, and Yukon Golds?

Potatoes.

4. What country was Mohammed Mossadegh leading in 1953 when U.S and British intelligence organized his ouster?

Iran.

5. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993. What's the only Canadian team to make it to the finals twice since then, though they've never won the Cup in their franchise history?

Vancouver Canucks?

6. Of the digits 0 through 9, which is by far the last to make its first appearance in a decimal expansion of pi?

0?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these biblical figures? Abel, Cain, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Samuel, and Seth.

Nothing coming to me.
Old 10 June 2014, 07:49 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Seaboe, I believe you're thinking of Nicolas Cage.
Yes! That's it. Menopause brain. I could think of all these movies I haven't even seen that he starred in and his uncle's name, but not his.

Seaboe
Old 10 June 2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these biblical figures? Abel, Cain, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Samuel, and Seth. I'm guessing that both their parents names are in the Bible.
Unfortunately there are others, such as the patriarchs of the various tribes of Israel (Joshua, Judah, etc.). There are just too many where both parents' names are known (including Jesus - but maybe we could say OT) for this to be right, but I like the stab.
Old 11 June 2014, 02:14 PM

Glasses

ATNM, maybe it's UEL's guess, but only for men named in Genesis. Except that Isaac isn't on the list...Oh, well.

Seaboe
Old 11 June 2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
ATNM, maybe it's UEL's guess, but only for men named in Genesis. Except that Isaac isn't on the list...Oh, well.

Seaboe
Besides, Joshua and Samuel at least, would not be included in your restriction, and IIRC, Jehoshaphat also would not be included (I think he was a king of Israel near the time of the Babylonian conquest, but I am not terribly confident on that)
Old 11 June 2014, 02:31 PM

Glasses

All I know about Jehoshaphat is that he apparently jumped a lot.

Seaboe
Old 11 June 2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
All I know about Jehoshaphat is that he apparently jumped a lot.

Seaboe
You would too if Babylonians were poking you with spears.
Old 11 June 2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Actually, it doesn't ask for the title of either book.
No, but when it asks for "What 'in the Twentieth Century'" and the answer is a book called "Capital in the Twentieth Century" it's pretty close to asking for the title of a book.
Old 11 June 2014, 05:27 PM

Your answer was correct, Steve. It was ANTM's "correction" of your answer that was wrong.
Old 17 June 2014, 10:45 AM

Good Tuesday morning, all,

Here's Ken Jennings' apology for last weeks answers:
Welcome back, trivia posse! Or at least those of you who didn't unsubscribe last week after the answer key shamefully mistook "Judas Priest" for "Jethro Tull." That's mostly an insult to Judas Priest I guess but honestly nobody comes out looking good. Tuesday Trivia apologizes for the inexcusable error.

I have double-checked all the answers this week and am 99.99% sure that none of them make me look like a big dummy. (Or more like a big dummy than usual.) If you feel empowered enough by my mistakes to submit your own answers this week, you will see your name on the big scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.us3.list-manage....0&e=515f388050 ! Okay, time to put Halfordgate behind me forever. Onward.

And on to what we all want to know about last week's questions:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The new book by French economist Thomas Piketty recalls the title of an 1867 text as it considers the implications of what "in the Twenty-First Century"? Piketty's best-seller is Capital in the Twenty-First Century, an obvious callback to Karl Marx's Das Kapital. Which is why I haven't read it yet, waiting to "binge-read" the full series NO SPOILERS PLEASE.

2. The 1st and 4th top-grossing romantic comedies of the 1990s--one released in 1990 and the other in 1999--both starred what pair of leads? The 1990 hit was Pretty Woman and the 1999 one was Runaway Bride, so the leads are, of course, Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. Did anybody bite on Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan? Sorry. I sort of knew that might happen.

3. What are you shopping for if you've bought russets, fingerlings, and Yukon Golds? Those are three of the most common varieties of potatoes, aka "taters," aka "spuds," aka "dirt limes," aka "Irish bagels."

4. What country was Mohammed Mossadegh leading in 1953 when U.S and British intelligence organized his ouster? Iran. This led to the Shah which led to the Islamic Revolution so yay "containment."

5. No Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since Montreal in 1993. What's the only Canadian team to make it to the finals twice since then, though they've never won the Cup in their franchise history? The Vancouver Canucks lost to the Rangers in 1994 (big riots in Vancouver!) and the Bruins in 2011 (even bigger riots in Vancouver!)

6. Of the digits 0 through 9, which is by far the last to make its first appearance in a decimal expansion of pi? The digits 1-9 all appear within the first 13 decimal places...but you won't find a 0 until the 32nd digit! This one goes out to all the weirdos who memorized pi as kids for some reason.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these biblical figures? Abel, Cain, Jehoshaphat, Joshua, Samuel, and Seth. They each had a parent with a palindromic name (variously Eve, Asa, Nun and Hannah). Tough one. Bible palindromes. I just felt like that was what the people wanted.

And now, this week's questions, with the usual one-week delay for question 7 (and question 2 is for Brad from Georgia):

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Founded in 1966, RIF is the largest and oldest literacy nonprofit in the U.S. What do the initials RIF stand for?

2. Comedian Jack Benny was actually a skilled musician on what instrument, which he often made a gag of playing badly in his act?

3. In cruciform Gothic cathedrals, the long bar of the cross, or "nave," is crossed at right angles by what shorter part of the church, forming two wings?

4. Today, there are four Pacific nations that were granted their independence by the United States. Name any two of them.

5. What platinum-selling West Coast rapper is also the featured artist on Robin Thicke's "Give It 2 U," Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive," and Alicia Keys's "It's On Again"?

6. Piranhas are native to which continent?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica (2004), Days of Our Lives, Game of Thrones, Lost, Mad Men, Oz, Pushing Daisies, Twin Peaks, The Walking Dead.

Enjoy!
Old 17 June 2014, 10:52 AM

#2 is the violin.

#1 is Reading is Fundamental .
Old 17 June 2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Founded in 1966, RIF is the largest and oldest literacy nonprofit in the U.S. What do the initials RIF stand for?
What Kitap said
2. Comedian Jack Benny was actually a skilled musician on what instrument, which he often made a gag of playing badly in his act?
What Kitap said
3. In cruciform Gothic cathedrals, the long bar of the cross, or "nave," is crossed at right angles by what shorter part of the church, forming two wings?
Either chapels or choir
4. Today, there are four Pacific nations that were granted their independence by the United States. Name any two of them.
Philippine Is., and let's see - Vanuatu?
6. Piranhas are native to which continent?
South America

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Airwolf, Battlestar Galactica (2004), Days of Our Lives, Game of Thrones, Lost, Mad Men, Oz, Pushing Daisies, Twin Peaks, The Walking Dead.Enjoy!

same make-up director
Closed Thread