snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 08 August 2017, 03:35 PM

Tantrum Google engineer at center of tech industry firestorm says hes been fired

The Google engineer who wrote a highly controversial internal memo about gender differences that's sparked an uproar in the tech industry says he's been fired and that he's not going to take it lying down.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-e...es-been-fired/
Old 08 August 2017, 03:52 PM

Oh boo hoo.
Old 08 August 2017, 04:01 PM

Dollars to donuts he used company resources to write that memo, and he obviously used company resources to distribute it.
Old 08 August 2017, 04:46 PM

Read This!

Quote:
"As far as I know," Damlore said, "I have a legal right to express my concerns about the terms and conditions of my working environment and to bring up potentially illegal behavior, which is what my document does. Before being fired, I submitted a charge to the National Labor Relations Board about how Google's upper management is misrepresenting and shaming me in order to silence my complaints. It's illegal to retaliate against a NLRB charge.

"I think what they did was illegal and I'm currently exploring all possible legal remedies," Damore said.
Classic. Do something that's going to get you fired, then fling some mud in the water by filing a complaint or blowing the whistle on something (with or without merit, if with merit, generally something minor like "my employer made me provide my own stapler and then my manager lost it after he asked to borrow it!") and scream "retaliation" when you are fired for that thing you did that totally should have gotten you fired and was much worse than what you're accusing the company of doing to you.

Generally, that's not how it works: you can sill be fired for misconduct, although I'm not sure who has the burden of proof in a dispute like this (the employee to prove they were fired in retaliation or the employer to prove they were fired independent of their supposedly protected complaint). Either way, I'm sure Google will manage.
Old 08 August 2017, 04:51 PM

Actual whistleblowers hired by a company to monitor things and blow the whistle if necessary can not only be fired if they do their job, but be kept from further employment and involved in legal battles for years afterwards. And that's someone who was hired to do that job. Good luck if g-you decided to make it a sideline to your regular job.
Old 08 August 2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Dollars to donuts he used company resources to write that memo, and he obviously used company resources to distribute it.
Of course he did, it was an internal company memo. In other words, he considered it part of his job. Apparently Google disagrees,or at least, figures firing him makes Google look better.
Old 08 August 2017, 05:10 PM

My point being that they can claim he used company resources inappropriately.

Counseling leadership on diversity management isn't part of a software engineer's job at my employer, but different companies have different rules.
Old 08 August 2017, 06:44 PM

Wow, reading the blurb in the OP, I expected he was writing about the injustices caused by/related to gender-based stereotyping in the industry. That was disappointing.