snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24 September 2018, 05:56 PM
Casey's Avatar
Casey Casey is offline
 
Join Date: 15 December 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,338
Default I need an escape hatch.

I shouldn't know the name of the White House Press Secretary, yet I do.
I shouldn't know the name of the Deputy Director of the FBI, yet I do.
I shouldn't be watching a Supreme Court nomination like my life depends on it, yet I do.

I shouldn't be in therapy over politics, yet I am.

Minstrel and I talk things over, and it does help, but I'm overloaded.

I've planned a weekend of essentially silence and information detox. I can't wait.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24 September 2018, 06:02 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 16,667
Icon81

The main reason why I tune into the 4:00/5:00 new when I get home, then not listen to anything until the next day. Also why I pull my headphones when Local Talk Show Host breaks for the news. It's all the same stuff hour after hour after hour.....
Sadly, the 24 Hour News Monster will not be put back into its cage.

DH and I will probably tune in to the (taped this morning) gubernatorial debate tonight. IMO that's more relevant to my life than what's going on just miles from where I'm sitting.

Psst! I've got some meds if you need 'em!

ETA: Yet it was me who posted the news of Rod Rosenstein's pending resignation, so I need to practice what I just posted.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24 September 2018, 06:13 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,210
Default

I feel the same way. Mostly I refuse to talk politics "in my real life". Pretty much the only place I will do it at all is here. And every day I vow that I won't read any Trump related news coverage and yet almost every day something else happens and I end up reading Trump related news coverage .

What really sucks now is we've got stupid Ford Nation (Doug Ford) as Premier and he's a busy little Trump Wannabe sowing hatred and dissension as fast as he and his loyal henchman can do it so even local coverage is tense for me.

I feel like I've had a stomach ache and a headache since November 2016. All that keeps me going really is Colbert and the feeling that surely, surely, Trump and his enablers will get their comeuppance. I demand a comeuppance!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24 September 2018, 06:29 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 9,286
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I've planned a weekend of essentially silence and information detox. I can't wait.
I took a 10 day Trump holiday last spring where I purposefully avoided anything to do with Trump. Could not totally avoid it, but it was a nice break where I could focus on the dogs, my house, my job and myself.

Good luck with that. I'm in your corner.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:03 PM
Cervus's Avatar
Cervus Cervus is offline
 
Join Date: 21 October 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 21,167
Default

I long for the days when watching C-Span was considered dull and nerdy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:21 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I feel like I've had a stomach ache and a headache since November 2016. All that keeps me going really is Colbert and the feeling that surely, surely, Trump and his enablers will get their comeuppance. I demand a comeuppance!
November. November. November. November.

All you USA snopesters have checked that you're registered to vote, yes? if the postcard says "return me" (mine doesn't) you returned it? if there isn't any postcard, and even if there is, you've just voted in a primary without any problem?

-- and I shouldn't be on the computer right now. I really shouldn't. But I don't think I'm going to be able to concentrate properly until after November.

November, November, November, November . . .
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:29 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,270
Default

Remember, remember the 6th of November...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:37 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,742
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
All you USA snopesters have checked that you're registered to vote, yes?
I don't think this advice should be restricted to USA snopesters. This is something everyone who can legally vote should do regularly.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:38 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,210
United States

But not all of us are in a position to give Trump a reminder that he didn't inherit a kingdom.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24 September 2018, 07:50 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 16,667
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post

What really sucks now is we've got stupid Ford Nation (Doug Ford) as Premier and he's a busy little Trump Wannabe sowing hatred and dissension as fast as he and his loyal henchman can do it so even local coverage is tense for me.
Does he run the country via Twitter and shout Make Canada Great Again! ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24 September 2018, 08:37 PM
Esprise Me's Avatar
Esprise Me Esprise Me is offline
 
Join Date: 02 October 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6,856
Default

I feel ya. My commute is a game of chicken with NPR these days; I listen until I feel like the freight train of despair is upon me, then I switch to music. Sometimes I find something to be hopeful or enthusiastic about; right now I'm cheerleading for Katie Hill and trying not to think too hard about everything else.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24 September 2018, 08:45 PM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I don't think this advice should be restricted to USA snopesters. This is something everyone who can legally vote should do regularly.
True. But I don't think most of the rest of the world has a crucial election coming up in six weeks; and I think not everyplace has complicated voting eligibility rules in which depending on what state you live in it may be necessary to register varying lengths of time in advance.

(in New York State, the deadline for the November election is October 12. -- October 27 if you got discharged from the military, or newly naturalized, between the 13th and the 27th. I just looked all of that up; I've been registered at this address for 30+ years.)

ETA: I don't actually think my postcard says nothing about returning it -- it's just that you don't return it if you're still at the address. You're supposed to return any postcards that show up at your address for people who don't currently live there.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24 September 2018, 08:49 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Does he run the country via Twitter and shout Make Canada Great Again! ?
Fortunately he doesn't run the country, just our province. Though I'm sure he is hoping to change that up in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24 September 2018, 08:56 PM
Casey's Avatar
Casey Casey is offline
 
Join Date: 15 December 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
November. November. November. November.

All you USA snopesters have checked that you're registered to vote, yes? if the postcard says "return me" (mine doesn't) you returned it? if there isn't any postcard, and even if there is, you've just voted in a primary without any problem?

-- and I shouldn't be on the computer right now. I really shouldn't. But I don't think I'm going to be able to concentrate properly until after November.

November, November, November, November . . .
Way ahead of you there.

November 6th I'm at least taking half the day off. I've already put it out there that I will drive anyone from my church who needs a ride. Just name where to go.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24 September 2018, 09:33 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 26,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I've planned a weekend of essentially silence and information detox. I can't wait.
And you started it by making a political post on a forum... should we be expecting you to disappear and stop replying shortly?

(Not that I think you're likely to get much disagreement round here anyway, and it's a restricted enough space at the moment that we probably all know what you mean and where you're coming from!)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24 September 2018, 09:38 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 9,286
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Fortunately he doesn't run the country, just our province. Though I'm sure he is hoping to change that up in the future.
There are enough sane conservatives that won't allow that to happen. Ford ran on a "Not Wynne" platform. Ontario cannot afford another Wynne.

But, he won't survive. As soon as the Liberals find another leader that is not Wynne, they'll be back.

I'm pretty flexible politically, but Wynne was a disaster. And Ford is just riding an anti-Wynne wave. There are enough conservatives that are already reining in Ford's little fiesta. Carolyn Mulroney has a solid staff and a pedigree that scares Doug, and she will be the one he focusses on.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24 September 2018, 11:03 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
There are enough sane conservatives that won't allow that to happen. Ford ran on a "Not Wynne" platform. Ontario cannot afford another Wynne.
People said that about the US, once.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25 September 2018, 04:38 AM
Casey's Avatar
Casey Casey is offline
 
Join Date: 15 December 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 7,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
And you started it by making a political post on a forum... should we be expecting you to disappear and stop replying shortly?

(Not that I think you're likely to get much disagreement round here anyway, and it's a restricted enough space at the moment that we probably all know what you mean and where you're coming from!)
Weekend. Thought I made that quite clear.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25 September 2018, 03:08 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,742
Glasses

Washington is a mail-in state. I don't have to wait until Nov. 6 to vote (although I do have to wait until the voter's pamphlet and then the ballot arrive). I also do not have to put a stamp on the envelope anymore, at least not in King County.

In addition to mailing your ballot, you can drop it in a drop box. You can also track your ballot to make sure it's been counted.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 25 September 2018, 08:29 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,737
Default

Oregon's been a vote-by-mail state since before I was old enough to vote. I've never actually had to go to a polling place to vote.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Orrin Hatch is Utahn of the Year E. Q. Taft Soapbox Derby 8 03 January 2018 08:44 PM
Updated: Richard Hatch, Star Of Battlestar Galactica, Dies At 71 TallGeekyGirl Amusement Bark 4 08 February 2017 03:05 PM
Down the Hatch and Straight Into Medical History snopes Medical 0 14 January 2011 09:26 PM
The Great Escape snopes Business 11 31 January 2008 09:00 AM
Escape by breast milk snopes Crime 24 28 August 2007 01:43 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.