snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 September 2018, 08:37 PM

As I mentioned a few months ago, a few counties in California, mine included, just switched to vote-by-mail. This year's primaries were the first time the new system was used. And as I complained at the time, since my old polling place was directly across the street it was actually more convenient for me personally to just walk over there and vote in person on election than it is to take my vote by mail ballot to the Post Office or one of the drop boxes. I'd rather not leave it in the unsecured mailbox at my house.
Old 25 September 2018, 08:39 PM

And I managed to double post some how. But that's an excuse to break out the waffles. When was the last time we had waffles in a thread?

Last edited by WildaBeast; 25 September 2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old 25 September 2018, 08:59 PM

Mmmm, waffles...
Old 25 September 2018, 09:21 PM

Oh, those look good!

-- Part of me actually likes the community sense of everyone, or at least everyone who can, going in to vote at the same locations as a lot of other people, all on the same day.

And the rest of me keeps pointing out to that part that there are a lot of people who find that really difficult to pull off; and they really ought to be able to vote.

New York hasn't got any early voting at all, yet, unless you count absentee ballots; and you're supposed to have a reason to get an absentee ballot -- that you'll be out of the county, or ill/disabled or a primary care giver for someone who is; or at a VHA hospital (in a different sort of hospital I hope comes under being ill); or that you're in jail/prison but not convicted of a felony. Having a weird and difficult work schedule, and/or child care problems, and/or transportation problems doesn't seem to count.

At least the polls are open from 6AM to 9PM.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
When was the last time we had waffles in a thread?
*throws a cookie at you*

ETA: Arizona allows for mail-in ballot for the simple reason of you want a mail-in ballot. That's the best of both worlds. Community voting if you want that, easy voting if you want that.

FETA: IMS, the tradition was to waffle the first post in the double post so the "view last post" feature should show an actual post, not just waffles.
Old 26 September 2018, 08:51 AM

Voting in Australia is compulsory, after the age of 18. My Dad enrolled me when I turned 18, although we aren't a practically "political" family. I was busy concentrating on my first year of university so I may well have not thought of it.

Once you are enrolled, you are enrolled and you only need to contact them when you move.

When I first moved out of home, about 20 years ago, I lived in the same suburb* same unit number similar street number (5/118 as opposed to 1/108) similar street name. For years after I moved here, when I went to vote I would think "I did change my address didn't I? Yes I did. I did didn't I?" Wondering if I just miss heard the similar address and assumed. I had.

Voting here is done at primary schools (grade 1 to 7) and the schools use as a fund raising day and put on a cake stall and sausage sizzle. People get very existed by this with radio stations comparing sausages and telling listeners who has the best "democracy" sausages**. I my local school doesn't seem to have a cake stall anymore...boo to them, I am not that keen on the sausages. One year it was raining on election day and they had neither. My neighbours were quite upset...well pretending to be.

My parents are "Grey Nomads" that is retired people who travel around the country in a caravan. They went through some process and no longer have to vote. At least for now.

*although I think technically I was actually in the next suburb over.
** this is your problem USA no democracy sausages or hot dogs if you prefer.
Old 26 September 2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Remember, remember the 6th of November...
we hear about the midterms a lot;
I know of no reason
Why the midterm season
Should ever be forgot!
Old 26 September 2018, 01:29 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post

Voting here is done at primary schools (grade 1 to 7) and the schools use as a fund raising day and put on a cake stall and sausage sizzle. People get very existed by this with radio stations comparing sausages and telling listeners who has the best "democracy" sausages**. I my local school doesn't seem to have a cake stall anymore...boo to them, I am not that keen on the sausages.
Years ago.when I lived in Wausau I voted at a school. The school always had a huge bake sale that day. They craftily had tables all down the hallway so as you waited in line in the hallway you saw and smelled baked goods. I call that dirty pool.
Old 26 September 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Years ago.when I lived in Wausau I voted at a school. The school always had a huge bake sale that day. They craftily had tables all down the hallway so as you waited in line in the hallway you saw and smelled baked goods. I call that dirty pool.
My grade school did that!

Voting was always set up in the gym, so there was never gym class on that day. However, the day before and after, two walls of the gym were those old solid steel voting machines the size of large cabinets. We'd play dodgeball and I can still remember the sound of a ball nailing one of those.

What gives me hope is this.

In 2014 my district had less than 2,000 vote for a primary. This year, nearly 20,000. I was ballot 75 at the election in 2017, and 451 for voting this year- and they ran out of ballots.

I smell a blue wave.
Old 26 September 2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
** this is your problem USA no democracy sausages or hot dogs if you prefer.
Some places do put on election night dinners; though they're not generally at the polling place -- an area church or other organization will usually do it (you don't have to be a member of the church to come eat at the dinner.)

Polling places can vary considerably. School votes here are at the school, but my polling place for other votes is at the village hall/fire department building, which has a large meeting room used for this purpose, and often for other things (such as blood donation drives.) The blood donation drives give you cookies and sandwiches after, but all you get for voting is a sticker that says "I voted" to wear on your shirt or whatever -- presumably in the hope of reminding other people to do so, when they see it.
Old 26 September 2018, 03:27 PM

Glasses

I voted at a school once or twice, and most recently, my polling place was a church. Voting was at my grade school when I was a child.

I don't remember any fund raisers or bakes sales at any polling location I ever voted at, even when I lived in CT. I guess I missed out.

Seaboe
Old 26 September 2018, 05:47 PM

I've voted both at a church and at a grade school. The latter is where I currently vote, but no they don't have sausages or cakes for sale?
Old 26 September 2018, 05:51 PM

Next week is the start of early polling for the municipal election and I'll likely take advantage of that. I like going early because if life has taught me nothing else it is that you never know what the hell can happen. I don't ever want to miss an election.
Old 26 September 2018, 06:07 PM

Baseball

We had a provincial election this week (and still don't have a winner yet).

My voting place was in a church. The one on the base was in the main barracks block lobby. The one on the other side of town was in a community centre.

Unfortunately, no food was to be found.
Old 26 September 2018, 07:13 PM

We vote in our township hall, and it is nice to see the various people. Also, the head of the local Republicans group gives me candy, which is quite nice. Sometimes the Democrats have someone out there who gives out candy also.
Old 26 September 2018, 08:13 PM

Some reasons I like our vote by mail system:

I don't have to remember, or look up, where to go to vote. My ballot comes to me. If it doesn't show up by a certain date, I can go get one. (I've never had to.)

I don't have to stand in line.

People can't come and intimidate large numbers of voters, or tell people waiting to vote that they need IDs, etc.

No running out of ballots, bad weather, or having voting machines break down, etc. to cause people to not wind up voting.

I can fill out my ballot when and where it's convenient for me. I don't have to take off work, or figure out a good time to go.

I get a text message telling me my ballot has been received and will be counted. (I used to not mail my ballot, and always used a drop box because I wanted to be sure it got there. Now I don't mind mailing it f it's more convenient.)

Once, when my signature didn't match my registration card (it had changed a lot since I registered) I was notified in time to come down and give a new signature exemplar so my ballot could still be counted.

I did miss in-person voting at first, but I think all vote by mail is the better system. It's cheaper than running multiple systems, and I think it's more democratic and inclusive, and makes voting easier for those that find it the hardest. I also like that our system requires ballots to be received by the "close off the polls" time on election day, rather than being postmarked by that date. So we don't have a big delay to find out results.
Old 27 September 2018, 12:49 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I've voted both at a church and at a grade school. The latter is where I currently vote, but no they don't have sausages or cakes for sale?

DH and I vote at the nearby high school and there is always a baked goods table run by the PTA.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
My grade school did that!

Voting was always set up in the gym, so there was never gym class on that day. However, the day before and after, two walls of the gym were those old solid steel voting machines the size of large cabinets. We'd play dodgeball and I can still remember the sound of a ball nailing one of those.
Oh our elections are always on a Saturday so no students. And we don't have voting machines, just paper voting papers and ballot boxes. When I was a child found it interesting to go to my school on a Saturday with my parents. My mum would make a banana cake for the cake stall. The streets and shops etc. are always busier on election days cause people have to be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Polling places can vary considerably. School votes here are at the school, but my polling place for other votes is at the village hall/fire department building, which has a large meeting room used for this purpose, and often for other things (such as blood donation drives.) The blood donation drives give you cookies and sandwiches after, but all you get for voting is a sticker that says "I voted" to wear on your shirt or whatever -- presumably in the hope of reminding other people to do so, when they see it.
Oh there are other places you can vote. When I lived in the other part of this suburb I think I used to vote at the church hall around the corner (actually literally down the road from here but the primary school is still closer) and I think there are other churches you can vote at. You get a list of polling places I the mail. I think I will check out some other places to see if they have cake stalls. Generally you get a list in the mail or it is listed in the paper...maybe online now? All the talk is about the schools though because of the sausage sizzle.

People also go into hospitals old peoples home etc. so people there can vote.

When you donate blood not only do you get a fruit drink and something to eat you also get a sticker that says "I gave blood today." You can either go into the red cross to do this or they have a van and go to different places.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Generally you get a list in the mail or it is listed in the paper...maybe online now?
How does voting work if there are multiple places where you can choose to vote?

How it works in most US states is you are assigned a polling place based on where you live. When you get there, you give them your name*. The poll workers (one Republican, one Democrat) find your name in the book and have you sign next to it. Then you are given your ballot to fill out. The name in the book is how we control against people voting more than once since your name is only in the book at your assigned polling place. If you can choose a polling place, you could theoretically vote in each polling place.

* And photo ID and original birth certificate and hospital toeprint card and baptismal certificate and confirmation letter and every report card since kindergarten if you are in an area with a lot of minority voters.
Old 27 September 2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
How does voting work if there are multiple places where you can choose to vote?

How it works in most US states is you are assigned a polling place based on where you live. When you get there, you give them your name*. The poll workers (one Republican, one Democrat) find your name in the book and have you sign next to it. Then you are given your ballot to fill out. The name in the book is how we control against people voting more than once since your name is only in the book at your assigned polling place. If you can choose a polling place, you could theoretically vote in each polling place.
We used to just go and vote and have our named marked off the role. And then we get our ballot. We didn't have to show ID, which is good cause on occasions I haven't had ID. Now I think we get a card in the mail and it is checked against the book and then the card is marked in some way. I think...I am not sure, it has been awhile and I don't remember like I used to.

I am not sure how they made sure you didn't vote multiple times, the same way the made sure you have voted, checked the roll. As voting is compulsory I guess if they had a lot more people voting in the district then there should be they would investigate further.