snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08 May 2014, 12:26 AM

Default Was there an actual amputation in Fellini's Satyricon?

The Titus Andronicus thread dredged up this '60s UL chestnut in my head. When Fellini Satyricon was released in 1969, a common rumor floated around that the scene where a slave's hand is chopped off was real. Supposedly, Fellini hired a terminal cancer patient who agreed to allow his hand to be cut off on screen in exchange for a large settlement that would allow his family to be financially secure after his death. (He was administered a local anesthetic before the deed was done, of course.)

Thing is, I can find no mention of this rumor on the World Wide Web, either confirming or denying it. Since it was a wide spread UL even in pre-internet days, I was surprised to not find any current references. Does anyone else remember this, and was it ever proven true or false?