snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 15 February 2019, 04:36 PM

Default Trump declares national emergency to build border wall

I went with the AP story, since I don't think it ever has a paywall.
Well, we knew this was coming. I wanted to highlight this part of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
ďI could do the wall over a longer period of time,Ē he said. ďI didnít need to do this, but Iíd rather do it much faster.Ē
He stated, while declaring an emergency, that he didn't need to declare an emergency. DOYC, this man is dumb.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:02 PM

He declares an emergency to pay for the wall that Mexico was going ot pay for.

Ladies and gentlemen, the master negotiator at work.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:32 PM

The emergency power is supposed to be for cases in which there isn't time for Congress to act.

Congress has had plenty of time to act. And Congress did act. They said no.

I have some faint hope that even the Republicans in Congress will balk on this one; if only because they're afraid of what a Democratic POTUS could do with it.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:35 PM

I hope so, Thorny, but it seems like those old fashioned type rules only apply when a Democrat is in office, and they are mostly too scared of Trump.

I do think that the Democrats should push for legislation to authorize construction of all the wall that Mexico pays for.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:00 PM

D'oh!

From the article,
Quote:
siphon billions of dollars from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts
Because nothing says "safety" and "anti-drug" like taking money from military counter-drug efforts. "Drugs are pouring over the border, so I'm going to take money from anti-drug efforts and put it into something easy to get past."

Moron.
Old 15 February 2019, 06:05 PM

No

I watched part of the CBS coverage online and was amazed (yes, even knowing it's Trump) at how rambling and incoherent that speech was. My favorite piece of stupidity was Trump explaining how good it is that China executes drug dealers, unlike the weak U.S., and telling us he encouraged Xi to put fentanyl on the list of drugs that can lead to the death penalty. Even if we can agree that drugs are a major problem, telling us how much you admire the punishments dealt out by authoritarian dictatorships, and how you encouraged them to do more of the same, is not a way to get us on your side of the national emergency argument.

And Trump went on so long that CBS decided to stop the coverage at the top of the hour, even though the man was still talking.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:38 AM

Mouse

Was CBS the network that cut to The Price Is Right, while Trump was still rambling? If so, bravo to CBS. Donít indulge Trumpís delusional beliefs about this being a national emergency of great concern. Pat him on the head, say, ďOf course, it is,Ē and cut to the daytime television normally watched only by the old and the unemployed. If you need a picture for any of your Trump-related stories, just use this one, even if itís a little unfair to compare Trump to Grandpa Simpson; Grandpa Simpson has some redeeming traits.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whatís going on at the border? Has Trump moved in construction equipment? Have protestors set up shop? If needed, I hope protestors camp out along every possible square inch of the border.

I still say we should implement Operation Emperorís New Clothes, because itís abundantly clear Trumpís not going to be satisfied until he gets his damn wall. Though maybe touring the camps where heís imprisoned kids will satisfy him. For bonus points, maybe ICE can provide him with recordings of the kids bawling for their parents which he use while...I shouldnít finish this sentence, but suffice to say, I have no problem believing that Trump gets off on the misery of others. Life is a zero-sum game for him; if he wins, someone has to lose. If he canít be happy, then no one gets to be happy!
Old 19 February 2019, 01:57 PM

Glasses

16 States Sue Over Trump's National Emergency Declaration. I went with the NPR link.

I was going to add a nasty comment, but decided I didn't want to be that kind of person.

Seaboe
Old 19 February 2019, 05:45 PM

Icon06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Quote:
All but one of the states, Maryland, have Democratic governors.
I am really getting tired of this partisanship. I know this is the way it has been forever and ever. But it's getting really old and frightening, because there is no longer a middle ground. There is only an ever-widening chasm that threatens us all.
Old 19 February 2019, 05:47 PM

I do think it's telling that Arizona and Texas aren't suing over the wall, though, even though IIRC the Arizona governor spoke out against it.
Old 19 February 2019, 06:53 PM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I am really getting tired of this partisanship. I know this is the way it has been forever and ever. But it's getting really old and frightening, because there is no longer a middle ground. There is only an ever-widening chasm that threatens us all.

Preach it! Obviously partisanship has been around since Pangaea, but it seems to me that it's creeped into everyday life. I can only cite one example (concerning someone at the local dog park of all places), but I just get that vibe.