snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 24 May 2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
What a shallow, materialistic idea of representation.
I tend to think that about a lot of what's called "appropriation" in general.
Old 24 May 2018, 04:59 PM

Appropriation is not just about clothes.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Appropriation is not just about clothes.
That's true, but most of the time when it makes the news, or certainly at least gets talked about on social media it does seem to be about clothes and while not always exclusively about women - it's only IME occasionally about men. Come to think of it even the discussions I've seen (like our pages and pages long discussion about belly dancing) was about something women do - are there endless discussions elsewhere about something men tend to do? I am sure there are examples if it - but are there endless discussions on social media where it doesn't end up being yet another way to slam a woman?
Old 24 May 2018, 05:36 PM

Those are good questions, most of which I can't answer, offhand. But a quick google search yielded this piece accusing gay white men of appropriating black women's culture.

ETA: To be clear, I'm providing that as an example of such an accusation, not taking a position on the accusation made. Although if g-you are a white person who talks in a "Shanequa" voice to anyone, particularly to black women, yikes, stop it. How mortifying.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:41 PM

Here are some discussions about haka and appropriation:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....ts-complicated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh...01-gjypbn.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...17-gjohxr.html

It may well be that women are criticized for appropriation more often. That would not be surprising. It also would not mean that the criticism is invalid.

One of the first ways many people have become aware of the issue is through the "it's a culture not a costume" campaign, which certainly covered males dressing as someone from a particular country or culture.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:42 AM

Is there any discussion on cultural appropriation in regards to the various martial arts like kung Fu and karate etc.? I get women do this too and even compete at the Olympic but could that be a male thing were there are accusation of appropriation.
Old 25 May 2018, 04:04 AM

It may be that women are criticized more often for cultural appropriation than men are. If that is the case, it might be sexism, or it might be that appropriation tends to be more harmful or oppressive when the aspect of the culture being appropriated is considered feminine.

Of the accusations of cultural appropriation I've seen, one of the ones I understood most easily and agreed with most readily was of Katy Perry's geisha-esque performance at the 2013 AMAs. The reason that was so problematic was not that she simply wore a dress inspired by traditional Asian attire, but that she did so to perform a song about loving a partner unconditionally, which reinforces stereotypes of Asian women as subservient, uncritical, tea-serving sex servants, which is a really annoying thing for real Asian women to deal with.

What's the male equivalent? Certainly there are negative stereotypes about Asian men, but are any performers reinforcing those stereotypes by appropriating, I dunno, a karategi? (Usually when Westerners prance around in a mockery of martial arts, they're at least pretending to be physically powerful, e.g. able to split bricks with their bare hands or heads.) Maybe the gender divide is reflective of sexism in our society rather than an example of it.