snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 13 September 2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Mind you Richard, and having met you, you would look brilliant in a proper Lederhosen get up. I think it would suit you!
I need to get a job so that I have money again and can buy nice things! If only I didn't like being lazy almost as much as I like being able to afford things.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
How do the British express "wear a suit/dress"?
Sorry, missed this. It depends on the occasion, really. In general, though, probably just "formal dress" (or "dress smartly", if a less formal instruction).

For work it would be "business formal". If you were going to a dinner then the invitation might say "black tie"; for a wedding it might say "morning dress", or - for properly posh things - both of them might just say "formal dress" and expect people to know what that meant for this type of occasion. (eta) All of these tend to specify what the man wears far more than what the woman wears; women get a bit more leeway and overlap, but you'd probably only expect a woman to wear a suit for business formal, and a dress for black tie events. I'm not sure about morning dress events, but for a normal wedding skirt / blouse, trousers or a dress would all be fine I should think. (I have dinner suits for black tie events but I've never worn morning dress - I just wear a business suit to weddings!)
Old 13 September 2018, 03:11 PM

It is important to know when to dress up, as opposed to dress up.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Sorry, missed this. It depends on the occasion, really. In general, though, probably just "formal dress" (or "dress smartly", if a less formal instruction).
Or for super formal, “Gentlemen, Swords and Decorations will be worn”
Old 13 September 2018, 03:31 PM

I guess my wedding was super formal as all the groomsmen were wearing swords.
Old 13 September 2018, 07:25 PM

There's also a bit of Oktoberfest in Switzerland, and many people do dress us. However, those who do, probably get 2 or 3 wearings each year out of their outfits, since there's other festivals (Yodeling and Schwingen are just two examples) where they could probably get away with wearing such outfits. Manor, which is a department store here, has an Oktoberfest collection, as do many other stores.

My high school has a reunion this year, and they have casual dress code for one evening and the other evening is "spiffy attire". Anybody seen that before?
Old 13 September 2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
the other evening is "spiffy attire". Anybody seen that before?
I don't think I've ever seen it in an invitation; but I'm pretty sure that I've read it someplace as a description. I don't remember where, though.
Old 14 September 2018, 06:31 AM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
And yes, I was wondering how Germans felt about tourists dressing up in stupid versions of regional costumes - even without "cultural appropriation" in the mix, it's far too much like "lads on tour" for my liking.
For what it's worth, I would guess that at least 70 % of the people in any given Oktoberfest beer-tent are tourists, many of them dressed up in stupid verdions of regional costumes. And most of those who are from Munich or elsewhere in Bavaria and are wearing Lederhosen/Dirndl are doing that one time a year, when they visit Oktoberfest. And, acting like "lads on tour", including getting much too drunk and inappropriatly touching the waitress, you would fit right in...

Not that I would assume you acting like this, Richard!
Old 14 September 2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
My high school has a reunion this year, and they have casual dress code for one evening and the other evening is "spiffy attire". Anybody seen that before?
I haven't. However, I'd interpret it as comparable to "smart casual", but with playful self-expression encouraged, and it's leaving it sufficiently ambiguous that you could probably dress up a little in a suit and tie or cocktail dress, as long as it looks cool rather than stuffy.
Old 14 September 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Of course not!

One of my friends found this video which may be a good compromise, especially as I have plenty of old pairs of jeans to cut up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073d...ature=youtu.be

Although it does involve taking fashion advice from Australians, and also if I'm going to wear those I think I would use my mum's sewing machine to hem the straps properly and sew it rather than stapling! (Or ask her to do it). I think I'll make a pair of those (with the help of my mum, who I'm visiting next week) and take them along to see whether I feel like wearing them. Mine would be black, because most of my jeans are black.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:08 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
...including getting much too drunk and inappropriatly touching the waitress, you would fit right in...

I would not see RichardW touching the waitress...

Around here, last year for our Oktoberfest, one of the younger members of the mess made their own Lederhosen and hat out of duck tape. It was fantastic.

But being in an area where Germans and their descendants are not common, our Oktoberfest celebrations are more German-esque rather than German. Still a lot of fun. A lot like an Oktober St Pat's.
Old 14 September 2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I guess my wedding was super formal as all the groomsmen were wearing swords.
Ours were holding dip sticks. As we left the park where we got married, our friends saluted us with raised dip sticks.
Old 14 September 2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Ours were holding dip sticks. As we left the park where we got married, our friends saluted us with raised dip sticks.
Richard, sorry I did not give you the formal attribution credit for this, but I did have to share with my brothers and married children.
Old 14 September 2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The candy or the oil measuring device?
Old 14 September 2018, 04:14 PM

We have problems here with dressing up (wear something nice) and dressing up (wear a costume). To solve this we've come up with descriptions tied to footwear.

Beach Casual - flip flops or bare feet are acceptable.

Business Casual - slip on shoes, please.

Business Wear - shoes with laces.

Formal - same shoes as Business Wear, but wear socks!
Old 14 September 2018, 04:33 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
We have problems here with dressing up (wear something nice) and dressing up (wear a costume). To solve this we've come up with descriptions tied to footwear.

Beach Casual - flip flops or bare feet are acceptable.

Business Casual - slip on shoes, please.

Business Wear - shoes with laces.

Formal - same shoes as Business Wear, but wear socks!
If you have friends or relatives that are furries, you'd have to add "shoes or bear feet, please"

Old 14 September 2018, 05:05 PM

Stupid question: Has anyone heard any noise on the "new snopes message board platform" front? A few months ago it looked like we might be seeing something in the not-too-distant future, but I haven't heard anything about it for a while.
Old 14 September 2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I would not see RichardW touching the waitress...
Well no, not that bit. Even my friend D wouldn't be inappropriately touching anybody that he hadn't paid to let him, I don't think...
Old 14 September 2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Stupid question: Has anyone heard any noise on the "new snopes message board platform" front? A few months ago it looked like we might be seeing something in the not-too-distant future, but I haven't heard anything about it for a while.
Nope. I was just thinking about it, and thinking how many more people we seem to be losing while we wait. I'm more than a little bummed.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:30 PM

Apparently the old "little things that annoy you" thread got closed; and GM started a new one with the title misspelled on purpose to be a little thing that annoyed; and then the thread title got corrected. So unless we can now all close threads and change titles (I haven't tried it), or GM has become a moderator, somebody seems to be around.

But I don't know whether they're working on the approval queue. Let alone on Karyn's request; though they've probably given up and gone away entirely by now.