snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 22 November 2017, 11:27 PM

Icon27 Man about to launch himself in his homemade rocket to prove the Earth is flat

Seeking to prove that a conspiracy of astronauts fabricated the shape of the Earth, a California man intends to launch himself 1,800 feet high on Saturday in a rocket he built from scrap metal.

Assuming the 500-mph, mile-long flight through the Mojave Desert does not kill him, Mike Hughes told the Associated Press, his journey into the atmosflat will mark the first phase of his ambitious flat-Earth space program.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9b05fdefc610

Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 22 November 2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Better story
Old 22 November 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
"I don't believe in science," said Hughes, whose main sponsor for the rocket is Research Flat Earth. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics, and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula.
Ummmm, what? How does he think humans figured out those formulas?

Quote:
Following his jump, he said he's going to announce his plans to leap into the race for governor of California. No joke.
If he survives, that is.
Old 22 November 2017, 11:39 PM

Given his stated distrust for science, I can't see him as actually calculating everything correctly in order to get the thing put together in a way so that it won't catastrophically fail when he attempts to use it.

Also, steam at that pressure is scary, scary stuff.
Old 23 November 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Last edited by E. Q. Taft; 22 November 2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Better story
That one's behind a pay wall, at least for me, however. Maybe I just read too many Washington Post stories this month.

Just to be clear, in my last post I was quoting from the first story, here.

Also, I think it would be cool if real scientists painted their lab equipment like that. I mean, think of a microbiologist with a snazzy red and yellow paint job that said "-->RESEARCH<-- BACTERIA" on their centrifuge.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:22 AM

I've seen is speculated elsewhere that this guy really isn't a Flat Earther, he's a professional daredevil who's using Flat Earthers to fund his latest stunt (apparently it's going to be PPV streaming on his website).
Old 23 November 2017, 02:46 AM

I wondered about that myself, considering he tried to get funding from a number of other sources unsuccessfully, before he began soliciting from the flat-earthers. If so, I hope he goes after the anti-vaxers to sponsor the next one. Then maybe the Scientologists....
Old 23 November 2017, 02:50 AM

1,800 feet is much lower than the mountain range to the west of the Mojave. He could also hire a plane and fly much, much higher and for much, much cheaper than the alleged $20,000 he put into this project. This is just a publicity stunt so he can get some media attention in order to raise more money for his next stunt.
Old 23 November 2017, 05:04 AM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
1,800 feet is much lower than the mountain range to the west of the Mojave. He could also hire a plane and fly much, much higher and for much, much cheaper than the alleged $20,000 he put into this project. This is just a publicity stunt so he can get some media attention in order to raise more money for his next stunt.
Good point. I was thinking earlier about how the Concorde cruised high enough that the curvature of the earth was visible. There aren't any airworthy Concordes anymore, but there are business jets that cruise higher than a typical airliner. I don't really know how much such a plane costs to fly, but I would think you could charter a Gulfstream for a couple of hours for $20,000 and have it take you up to 51,000 feet.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:18 PM

Icon18

But that won't work. Everyone knows that pilots are close friends of the astronauts who conspired to fabricate the shape of the Earth. After all, most early astronauts were also pilots. It's all part of the bigger conspiracy

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "High Five" ab Arthur
Old 23 November 2017, 04:23 PM

The mountains are in on it as well. They're quite clearly trying to look as if they're not flat, in order to fool us. We know they're flat, though. Climbing them won't help.
Old 23 November 2017, 05:08 PM

Vanishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
That's a lie put out by Big Steam...

Everyone knows steam isn't dangerous, or else why do we use saunas?
Old 24 November 2017, 09:08 PM

Icon27 This flat-Earther just postponed his plan to launch himself in a homemade rocket

Quote:
A California man who planned to launch himself 550 metres high on Saturday in a homemade scrap-metal rocket — in an effort to “prove” that Earth is flat — said he is postponing the experiment after he couldn’t get permission from a federal agency to do so on public land.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...-saturday.html

Can there be any doubt that the government is blocking his launch to hide THE TRUTH?!?!?!?!?
Old 26 November 2017, 03:28 PM

Airplane

Note that the lack of governmental permission wasn't the only reason the rocket flight was delayed:
Quote:
Hughes said he had originally intended to arrive in Amboy on Wednesday to start setting up the rocket. The BLM's denial, along with some technical difficulties — a motor in his modified motor home quit working for a day — threw a wrench into his plans, according to Hughes.

“I don't see [the launch] happening until about Tuesday, honestly,” he said. “It takes three days to set up. . . . You know, it's not easy because it's not supposed to be easy.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3adc6d81f067

His motor home launch pad broke down.
Old 26 November 2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Given his stated distrust for science, I can't see him as actually calculating everything correctly in order to get the thing put together in a way so that it won't catastrophically fail when he attempts to use it.

His calculations on his previous 'experiments' were ..... less than excellent.

The first time he did a rocket jump he was relying on two parachutes to guide him safely back to earth. The parachutes were both 20 years old, one didn't open at all and the one that did open got shredded by pieces of crap flying off the rocket:

Here's Mike and his very professional cameraman doing a rocket test, using a very technical and complicated firing method known as "poking it with a stick several times":

And just in case someone hasn't seen it, here's how his very professional support team extricated him from his crashed rocket:

"He sounds like he's in a lot of pain. Should we call an ambulance in case he inured his spine or got a concussion?"
"Nah just haul him up, he can walk it off."

I honestly think he'll probably die if he gets into the new rocket and launches it.
Old 26 November 2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
...one didn't open at all and the one that did open got shredded by pieces of crap flying off the rocket:
When I watch that video, I see a normal drogue chute deployment followed by normal main chute deployment. Looks to me like a surplus 26-foot or so canopy that pops a few panels because it's being used outside its kinetic envelope.

I gotta say some of the technical achievements are actually pretty impressive. But I agree that they will probably prove deadly.
Old 26 November 2017, 06:25 PM

Baseball

Sweeeeeet Johnnnnny!

All I have to say about that.
Old 26 November 2017, 09:44 PM

Heavt breathing

I don't suppose there's a shot of him actually getting into the rocket for launch, is there?

Anyways, lord protect this rocket house and all who dwell within the rocket house and all that jazz.
Old 27 November 2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Also, I think it would be cool if real scientists painted their lab equipment like that. I mean, think of a microbiologist with a snazzy red and yellow paint job that said "-->RESEARCH<-- BACTERIA" on their centrifuge.
I never did that when I worked in research but when I worked as a lab assistant at a girls school, some of the girls did paint their rockets* that way. Well quite similar.
Does that help?

*We bought rocket kits for the girls as an end of year fun science activity
Old 27 November 2017, 02:19 PM

Teacher

I'm reminded of Evel Knievel's failed attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon "on a motorcycle" - really in a rocket with wheels. After many weeks, it was announced that the failure was due to the fact that a parachute stored in an unsealed area around the engine nozzle was prematurely drawn out by the reduced pressure that forms around the rear of the rocket - said reduced pressure being something understood by any 8-year-old that ever read the basic rules of model rocket design.
Old 27 November 2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I'm reminded of Evel Knievel's failed attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon "on a motorcycle" - really in a rocket with wheels. After many weeks, it was announced that the failure was due to the fact that a parachute stored in an unsealed area around the engine nozzle was prematurely drawn out by the reduced pressure that forms around the rear of the rocket - said reduced pressure being something understood by any 8-year-old that ever read the basic rules of model rocket design.
The other theory is that the chute delayed prematurely because Knievel passed out and let go of the dead man's switch which controlled it. Knievel always denied it but I think his promotions manager wrote about it in his book about the event.

Knievel later beat the promotions manager unconscious with an aluminium baseball bat because of the book.

Edit: there was a great warts-and-all documentary made about Evel Knievel in 2015 called 'Being Evel', I recommend it to anyone interested in his story. He was a nasty, nasty human being.