snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 20 July 2017, 11:42 PM

Default New Sex Robots With 'Frigid' Settings Allow Men To Simulate Rape

Quote:
According to the company's website, if you touch the 'Frigid Farrah' model in a 'private area, more than likely, she will not be to appreciative of your advance.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7847296.html
Old 21 July 2017, 01:29 PM

Jaded

Ugh, just ugh.
Old 21 July 2017, 07:00 PM

Australia

I'll join the chorus of, "Ugh" but I did giggle at the side article of a suicidal robot security guard drowning itself in a pond.
Old 21 July 2017, 09:03 PM

Baseball

I'll have to see some evidence of this beyond the generic fear mongering.

Despite people saying that violent video games are making people less empathetic to others, and it is leading to increased violence, the evidence is just not there.

Meanwhile, we have this other technology that is equally intertwined with the realm of fantasy, and people are being offended and calling for it to be a gateway to rape.

It may be. It may be a tool to reduce rape. It may be nothing more than an expensive sex toy.

Let's get the evidence.
Old 21 July 2017, 09:37 PM

I know I've heard similar rumors or proposals of child-sized sex dolls for...well.

I won't try to argue this would be a gateway to rape/child molestation, and might even conceivably be a harmless alternative.

But that doesn't mean that the thought of either doesn't make me a little queasy.
Old 21 July 2017, 10:17 PM

"Simulates lack of consent."

I'm pretty sure you can get the same effect with an ordinary sex doll after removing the batteries.

I can't believe I just wrote that.
Old 21 July 2017, 11:25 PM

I didn't know they had batteries. I thought blow-up dolls were the top of the line.

Old 24 July 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I'll have to see some evidence of this beyond the generic fear mongering.

Despite people saying that violent video games are making people less empathetic to others, and it is leading to increased violence, the evidence is just not there.

Meanwhile, we have this other technology that is equally intertwined with the realm of fantasy, and people are being offended and calling for it to be a gateway to rape.

It may be. It may be a tool to reduce rape. It may be nothing more than an expensive sex toy.

Let's get the evidence.
It doesn't have to be a gateway to rape to encourage a really nasty attitude (that 'frigid' women just need more force).

Even if you're on board with violent computer games, would you not see a general thematic problem with a computer game where you were a KKK member running around assaulting black people?

Violent fantasies are pretty normal, but are more worrying the more specific they are. Assuming the description of the sexbot is true, it offers a very specific kind of violent fantasy. And even if the setting isn't intended to encourage rape simulation, it's still pretty damn sexist to call the bot frigid.
Old 25 July 2017, 01:30 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Violent fantasies are pretty normal, but are more worrying the more specific they are.
I don't disagree. But are our initial feelings backed up with evidence beyond "well it makes sense"?

I wholeheartedly agree with the wording "frigid" and am in line with all of your logic. I am asking more from a critical point of view. People want to ban music, video games, books and films because it can lead to immoral behaviour "because it makes sense" that it perverts the thinking of people. However, much evidence does not back this up. I am curious if there is evidence that this leads to problems.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
People want to ban music, video games, books and films because it can lead to immoral behaviour "because it makes sense" that it perverts the thinking of people. However, much evidence does not back this up.
This doesn't prove or disprove anything, but using a controller to simulate violence against images on a screen is an entirely different set of stimulations and experiences than would hunting realistic (bleed, act like they feel pain, etc) simulacrons in the real world. A better comparison might be those who play a lot of paintball since that involves the same motions against real humans.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:18 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
A better comparison might be those who play a lot of paintball since that involves the same motions against real humans.
Very interesting. We do conduct a lot of that type of training. And while it does make us better at tasks, such as clearing a room, it does not make us more violent.

We use a lot of simulation (mostly for costs purposes) in our training. Maybe that is where my curiosity is driving me.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Even if you're on board with violent computer games, would you not see a general thematic problem with a computer game where you were a KKK member running around assaulting black people?
How about a game where SS kills Jews? Or (a different one) where the Allied Forces go around killing the SS? Violent games mostly have a good-guy/bad-guy theme going. Usually more palatable when it's an Alien or a monster.

I've never been a much of a fan of violent games.

OY
Old 28 July 2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I absolutely would have a huge problem with it, but I would reluctantly have to oppose banning it (I don't think anyone here has actually proposed outlawing the 'frigid' robot) and I would be slightly skeptical of the notion that there would be a causal relationship between playing the game and committing actual violence against blacks. (A correlation, certainly, since the game would presumably be mainly played by people who already had very negative attitudes towards blacks.)

I would certainly advocate and participate in the boycott of any publisher who released such a game, though.