snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 11 December 2007, 07:51 AM

Crash Sgt. York (gun system) versus port-a-potty

Years ago when I was in the army ('88-'91) serving in Air Defense, I heard a story about what was considered the final straw for the Sergeant York mobile gun system.

The story goes that once the system was finally able to actually hit a target, they staged a demonstration for high military and political leaders. They brought out three Sgt Yorks and aimed them at three hovering helo-drones.

Now, to understand what happened was that the system used a dopler radar, a system that detects moving objects. This means that a hovering helo is detected by the radar signature of the spinning rotors.

So, what happened? They openned fire, and two helo-drones were were destroyed... along with one port-a-potty. It seemed it had a vent fan on top, which one of the systems locked in on and targeted and destroyed.

Okay, that is the story, but I can't find any verification for it. Any out there heard this?
Old 11 December 2007, 08:51 AM

I doubt it, for the simple reason that the vent fan would probably be made of plastic and would not provide any radar reflection compared to the metal in the rotor and the rotor head.
Old 11 December 2007, 04:38 PM

The vent fan would vent both stinky air and warm air... which would spark interest from an infra-red sensor. Problem is, the Sergeant York wasn't equipped with an IR sensor system, it was purely radar based.

However, it does make for a good story - and the system was a total piece of something that should have been deposited in that destroyed porta-pottie.
Old 11 December 2007, 04:42 PM

Come on. Has anyone ever seen a powered vent on a porta-pottie? Especially back then?
Old 11 December 2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The vent fan would vent both stinky air and warm air... which would spark interest from an infra-red sensor.
Not warm enough to attract a missile looking for a jet/rocket exhaust.
Old 11 December 2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
Come on. Has anyone ever seen a powered vent on a porta-pottie? Especially back then?
Sadly I have a great deal of experience with US Army port-a-potties on several continents. I have never, not once, even when trespassing in fancy officer type areas, seen a port-a-pottie with a ventilation fan. I've seen dug in port-a-potties, port-a-potties with overhead cover, port-a-potties that were serviced daily, and port-a-potties that haven't seen service in the current century, port-a-potties made of wood, port-a-potties made of plastic, port-a-potties made of metal, but never once seen a ventilation fan.

The most interesting thing about port-a-potties is reading the graffiti. Seriously, Commanders should spend more time in the port-a-potties their troops use if they want to get an accurate read on the morale of their unit.

Sorry for the hi-jack. I've got nothing to contribute to the SGT York topic.
Old 11 December 2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
Sadly I have a great deal of experience with US Army port-a-potties on several continents. I have never, not once, even when trespassing in fancy officer type areas, seen a port-a-pottie with a ventilation fan. I've seen dug in port-a-potties, port-a-potties with overhead cover, port-a-potties that were serviced daily, and port-a-potties that haven't seen service in the current century, port-a-potties made of wood, port-a-potties made of plastic, port-a-potties made of metal, but never once seen a ventilation fan.

The most interesting thing about port-a-potties is reading the graffiti. Seriously, Commanders should spend more time in the port-a-potties their troops use if they want to get an accurate read on the morale of their unit.

This is one of the greatest posts I have ever read. Hoowa to the Latrine, Portable, 1, EA.
Old 11 December 2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhull View Post
Years ago when I was in the army ('88-'91) serving in Air Defense, I heard a story about what was considered the final straw for the Sergeant York mobile gun system.

The story goes that once the system was finally able to actually hit a target, they staged a demonstration for high military and political leaders. They brought out three Sgt Yorks and aimed them at three hovering helo-drones.

Now, to understand what happened was that the system used a dopler radar, a system that detects moving objects. This means that a hovering helo is detected by the radar signature of the spinning rotors.

So, what happened? They openned fire, and two helo-drones were were destroyed... along with one port-a-potty. It seemed it had a vent fan on top, which one of the systems locked in on and targeted and destroyed.

Okay, that is the story, but I can't find any verification for it. Any out there heard this?

The York was never needed. The M163 20mm Vulcan Area Defence System outperformed it at every turn. The M61A1/2 is a most awesome cannon with almost mythical destructive power. I am a former Vulcan mechanic and can say that that weapon, on a modern tracked or ATV frame, with modern avionics would still be a hell of a Garrison defender.
Old 11 December 2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdog View Post
The York was never needed. The M163 20mm Vulcan Area Defence System outperformed it at every turn. The M61A1/2 is a most awesome cannon with almost mythical destructive power. I am a former Vulcan mechanic and can say that that weapon, on a modern tracked or ATV frame, with modern avionics would still be a hell of a Garrison defender.
And when the damned thing fires right over your hooch at 3AM (when you've just gotten in from 15 hours of patrolling at 2AM) on a cool Iraqi evening it's guaranteed to leave an impression on your psyche.
Old 11 December 2007, 10:56 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post

My unit in Germany (576th Ord Co, 4/1 ADA batallion) had an interesting way of handling grafitti. In the 'shop' area, we had pads of butcher block paper hanging in the stalls with a note on the top of 'Write on the walls, lose the stalls.'

Having a place where we could write unfettered gave us a great place to vent on whatever we needed to, or just to put up the latest/greatest stall poetry. On adverage, we pulled down a page a week. And for the most part, it was rare that things were bad enough that they had to be yanked down early.

As for the OP, I am just passing along the story I heard back then (and I've talked to an Air Force tech on another board who heard a similar version). I think the kicker of the whole story being the spectators looking at the place where some of them had been earlier in the day.
Old 13 December 2007, 03:45 PM

I was very skeptical of the OP here, but to be fair I decided to do a little research, but didn't get that far. Finally, I called a very good friend of mine who was an ADA officer in the very late eithies/early nineties before I lured him to the dark side.

He "confirmed" the rumor. He said he was interested in the York because at one point of his ADAOBC (Air Defense Artillery Officer Basic Course) he was told he would be a York platoon leader.

He claimed that he was told about the event at his ADAOBC, and that he read about it in the Army Times circa 1989. I'm afraid I think that memory is false because the York was cancelled in December 1986, well before his OBC although probably after he started his officer training.

He also says it was "common knowledge" amongst the NCOs, but concedes that isn't proof.

So...I'll keep looking. Anyone have access to the Army Times archives?

Best;

Sam
Old 13 December 2007, 05:18 PM

Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorsam View Post
I was very skeptical of the OP here, but to be fair I decided to do a little research, but didn't get that far. Finally, I called a very good friend of mine who was an ADA officer in the very late eithies/early nineties before I lured him to the dark side.

He "confirmed" the rumor. He said he was interested in the York because at one point of his ADAOBC (Air Defense Artillery Officer Basic Course) he was told he would be a York platoon leader.

He claimed that he was told about the event at his ADAOBC, and that he read about it in the Army Times circa 1989. I'm afraid I think that memory is false because the York was cancelled in December 1986, well before his OBC although probably after he started his officer training.

He also says it was "common knowledge" amongst the NCOs, but concedes that isn't proof.

So...I'll keep looking. Anyone have access to the Army Times archives?

Best;

Sam
About 15 years ago I went to church with a guy who was one of the people who worked on the patriot missle system (that's the one that shot down scuds right). He claimed that in one of their tests, it shot out it's own cooling plant due to the ventilation fan.
Old 14 December 2007, 02:15 AM
Delta-V

This forum has some discussion of it, and one poster cites a November 1984 issue of The Washington Monthly confirming the OP.
Old 17 December 2007, 04:06 AM

Default Another Sgt. York Witnessed

I don't know about Sgt. York shooting a port-a-potty, BUT...I vote FALSE. because I can't see the York shooting a Drone!

My grandfather worked on another company's air defense platform against FORD, who eventually won the Sgt. York contract.

I was there for an "open house" demonstration for employee families and some military officials (don't know the ranks...too far back and I didn't care)

The future Sgt. York system was able to hit stationary targets on the ground, but missed all three of the flying drones (bad average for an AIR DEFENSE GUN SYSTEM!) At one point it even turned the turret to point right at its competition while tracking an drone...

I still have two of the rounds (minus explosives) from that main gun...

-Rogue