snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 06 June 2007, 12:01 AM

Icon101 Parable of Donkey

Aww poor you, you thought this was going to be about Shrek didn't ya?

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do.

Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he
quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his
back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.

Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.

Live simply and appreciate what you have.

Give more.

Expect less

NOW ............

Enough of that crap . The donkey later came back, and bit the farmer who had tried to bury him.

The gash from the bite got infected and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock.

MORAL FROM TODAY'S LESSON:

When you do something wrong, and try to cover your ass, it always comes back to bite you.

You have two choices...smile and close this page, or pass this along to someone else to spread the fun.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:21 AM
We'veBeenHad

I kind of think of it more that life is going to shovel a lot of sh** on you, and it's a lot harder to climb up that than it is dirt. JMHO.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:33 AM
joshxrt22

Default WELL

Is it bad I actually WAS hoping this was about Donkey from Shrek before opening?
Old 11 June 2007, 05:04 PM
Danamac448

I've seen this several times before, and it always just makes me mad!!! How dare the farmer just try to bury a defenseless animal! That's just cruel!

So, imagine my delight to seeing the coda on the story this time around.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy0405 View Post
Enough of that crap . The donkey later came back, and bit the farmer who had tried to bury him.

The gash from the bite got infected and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock.

MORAL FROM TODAY'S LESSON:

When you do something wrong, and try to cover your ass, it always comes back to bite you.

Yay Donkey.

(And, I probably WOULDN'T have if you hadn't suggested it, but yeah, I was totally picturing Shrek's Donkey stuck in the well. Made the story a little more amusing, actually.)
Old 11 June 2007, 06:04 PM

Icon02

Here's a discussion from March 2005.

I have to agree -- this one is just appalling.
Old 11 June 2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy0405 View Post
Aww poor you, you thought this was going to be about Shrek didn't ya?
Nope. I've seen this glurge before, although that opening line is new.
Old 11 June 2007, 07:01 PM
Danamac448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
Here's a discussion from March 2005.

I have to agree -- this one is just appalling.
Okay, that was funny as hell. Thanks for the link!!!
Old 16 June 2007, 03:37 PM

okay, I'll admit it. I liked this one. In fact I've told it before. It's got a nice simple message, and even takes care of the glaring plot hole (why didn't the farmer at least shoot the donkey first!) by coming up with a good irreverant punchline.