snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19 February 2019, 07:34 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default Rumour: Disney considering several new Star Wars series

https://www.cbr.com/rumor-disney-dev...reaming-shows/

…including one for Rose Tico.

Quote:
Other characters said to be getting their own series are more recent additions to Star Wars lore. Most notably, the First Order's Captain Phasma and Kylo Ren's Knights of Ren; the Knights have been mentioned in both Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, but have yet to show up in the films themselves. Finally, Kelly Marie Tran's mechanic/hero Rose Tico is also reportedly in contention for her own series.
They should totally do the Rose series. The source sounds dubious, but the Rose concept sounds cool.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19 February 2019, 07:49 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,986
Icon05

What’s cool about Rose, the unpredictable mood swings or the way she’s always nagging Finn for being a coward even as he risks his life for the Not Rebellion?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19 February 2019, 08:39 PM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,155
Default

In 15 minutes she managed to show more personality and usefulness in combat than Finn did in two movies.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19 February 2019, 08:54 PM
Errata's Avatar
Errata Errata is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 13,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
nagging Finn for being a coward even as he risks his life for the Not Rebellion?
All the (not rebels) are under imminent threat of death all the time, not just the reluctant protagonists with screentime. Finn kinda got roped into something he didn't wholeheartedly sign on for, but they're all risking their lives even just being anonymous mechanic #227.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19 February 2019, 10:34 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
In 15 minutes she managed to show more personality and usefulness in combat than Finn did in two movies.
How so? And some characters.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19 February 2019, 10:35 PM
1958Fury's Avatar
1958Fury 1958Fury is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
What’s cool about Rose, the unpredictable mood swings or the way she’s always nagging Finn for being a coward even as he risks his life for the Not Rebellion?
She pisses off MRAs. For this reason alone, she should get her own channel.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19 February 2019, 10:47 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,986
Default

Eh—okay... not particularly convincing. Honestly, as much as I hate Vice Admiral Holdo, I think her backstory as a rebel leader apart from the main heroes of either trilogy would provide far more opportunities for engaging television. And I persist in my hope that having her show up to battle in a gown with purple highlights in her hair was meant as an homage to Lieutenant General Picton at/in Waterloo.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19 February 2019, 11:19 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default

Yeah, but Holdo isn’t really pissing anyone off just by being female. Rey pisses people off because she’s apparently super-awesome and Rose pisses people off by existing.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19 February 2019, 11:56 PM
RichardM RichardM is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 4,675
Default

Geez, I feel so, petty maybe, for just enjoying the movies when I watch them and not remembering and analyzing each and every character.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20 February 2019, 12:05 AM
1958Fury's Avatar
1958Fury 1958Fury is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Geez, I feel so, petty maybe, for just enjoying the movies when I watch them and not remembering and analyzing each and every character.
Sacrilege! One can not properly enjoy Star Wars unless one knows Sio Bibble's shoe size!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 20 February 2019, 01:51 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default

Also complaining about how Han and Leia were married and only had three kids, none of whom was named Ben!

Or remembering that Chewbacca had a family! (Wookiee porn optional)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20 February 2019, 02:22 AM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,986
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Yeah, but Holdo isn’t really pissing anyone off just by being female. Rey pisses people off because she’s apparently super-awesome and Rose pisses people off by existing.
Rose pisses me off for making no sense. Holdo pisses me off for making no sense (in a flatter, less engaging way). Rey pisses me off for starting out with a lot of promise as a character, but then failing to be meaningfully developed in the second installment. Much like the new trilogy as a whole. That last criticism goes for Finn as well. Great character, beautifully conceived, no follow through. Oh, and Snoke. And to a lesser extent Kylo and Hux because one descended into an unmitigated screaming man-child (which is saying a lot given all the tantrums he threw in TFA) and the other became a mere buffoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Also complaining about how Han and Leia were married and only had three kids, none of whom was named Ben!
How many people give two shits about the excised fanon? I know I don’t. What pisses me off about Leia and Han is that the actors who played the gave them two stalest performances of the NT to date. There, I said it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20 February 2019, 03:35 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default

First off, your argument about what’s pissing you off is not actually relevant. The point is, Rey and Rose get a lot of hate for the much pettier reason that they’re both female. We’re talking “flush the Gillette” kind of hate here.

And your second argument holds no water, because that was the closest we got to canon for the better part of forty years. I’m not saying I follow it slavishly and know everything about Lumpawarrump’s voice breaking or whatever, but there is an entire wiki devoted to crap like that. (ETA: Also, it was a joke.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20 February 2019, 03:39 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 13,155
Default

I'd just like to point out that in the original trilogy, the only character who had any meaningful development was Han anyway. Luke was a very flat character. Leia was a flat character. Threepio was a flat character. R2 was a flat character.

And don't even get me started on the prequels.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20 February 2019, 06:46 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,791
Default

True. Although, you did get a better feel for Chewie's personality in the Holiday Special.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20 February 2019, 11:52 AM
Sooeygun Sooeygun is offline
 
Join Date: 30 May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
And your second argument holds no water, because that was the closest we got to canon for the better part of forty years. I’m not saying I follow it slavishly and know everything about Lumpawarrump’s voice breaking or whatever, but there is an entire wiki devoted to crap like that. (ETA: Also, it was a joke.)
But there are loads of people who don't know anything about the excised canon. I know dozens of people who love the Star Wars movies and only one who knows anything beyond the movies (or animated stuff). I tried to read a couple of the books and they were so badly written, I gave up.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20 February 2019, 12:52 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default

The whole joke was that you can’t be a true fan if you don’t even know that Lumpawarrump is Chewbacca’s son. Which is only a thing because someone figured we shouldn’t ignore the Holiday Special (where Chewie has a son named Lumpy). The truest of true fans would know this and any reason to care about people like Ken the Jedi Prince (which is a thing the EU mostly ignored because those books were crap).

I never actually read any of the non-Jedi Prince books, but my mother used to at least go on about how awesome the Solo’s kids were.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20 February 2019, 01:04 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,986
Icon401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
First off, your argument about what’s pissing you off is not actually relevant. The point is, Rey and Rose get a lot of hate for the much pettier reason that they’re both female. We’re talking “flush the Gillette” kind of hate here.
My argument about what's pissing me off is at least well sourced, in that I can speak authoritatively about what's pissing me off (that is, I can backup my claim that I am pissed by merely stating as much). You, on the other hand, are claiming to know where an out-sized portion of the hate for this film and these characters comes from, with zero support.

Yes, I am aware that there is a lot of backlash against these characters. Yes, I am aware that some of it is coming from woman-hating misogynists who would never be happy, no matter how brilliantly they are written. But maybe part of the backlash is from having these characters put forward as #StrongWomen who are above criticism by anyone but woman-hating misogynists, and yet who are so poorly written their actions (speaking specifically of Rose and Holdo) don't stand scrutiny.

Maybe people don't like them because Rian Johnson did a lousy job with TLJ. Maybe they like them even less (a sort of visceral reaction) because the response to criticism is "You're just a crybaby man-child dude-bro!"

And I haven't seen the Gillette ad. Nor do I care to. It's a razor blade commercial; I don't know why they were trying to be anything more than that, other than to generate buzz and controversy. And I don't generally like to reward people going for buzz and commentary without some deeper purpose. I don't for a minute believe the execs at Gillette were really trying to change anything but their market share. With that said, I still use Gillette because... WHO CARES!?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 20 February 2019, 01:48 PM
Darth Credence's Avatar
Darth Credence Darth Credence is offline
 
Join Date: 28 October 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,636
Default

The latest rumor, which looks more solid than these rumors, is that they are starting to work on an Obi Wan limited series.The Mandalorian is finishing up production, and I have seen several different sources that have a track record of being fairly accurate saying that Obi Wan is next. This makes sense to me, as there has been talk of Ewan MacGregor coming back for an Obi Wan movie, but the movie plans were shelved after Solo didn't do well. (Quick aside - Solo was great, and I have no idea why it didn't do well. It was Han and Chewie: A Love Story, and that was exactly what I wanted from the movie!) Obi Wan would not have been as expensive as the main movies, so changing to a TV show with a smaller budget can work.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21 February 2019, 08:51 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,207
Default

Solo fell victim to fatigue. If it was released in December it might have done better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG Star Wars is reviving 'Clone Wars' — and there's a trailer TallGeekyGirl Amusement Bark 1 28 July 2018 02:08 AM
Star Trek's Tim Russ explains "The Star Wars" she-geek Amusement Bark 4 07 May 2015 01:39 AM
Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney TallGeekyGirl Amusement Bark 7 04 September 2014 02:48 AM
Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe E. Q. Taft Amusement Bark 3 11 January 2014 12:42 PM
Star Wars VII shakeup: Screenwriter leaves, Star Wars legend returns snopes Amusement Bark 2 25 October 2013 07:07 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.