snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 February 2019, 03:37 PM

Default Conspiracy Theorist And Frequent Presidential Candidate Lyndon LaRouche Dies At 96

Conspiracy Theorist And Frequent Presidential Candidate Lyndon LaRouche Dies At 96

It occurs to me that I haven't seen him in the news in quite a while. Maybe he was wearing down; or maybe he just got squeezed out by all too many others of his general ilk.

Anyway, this one, at least, is now gone. Can't say that I'll miss him any. -- for anyone who missed him entirely, here from the article is a bit of a sampling:

Quote:
In a 1988 story, NPR's Phyllis Crockett reported LaRouche has claimed "only one and half million Jews died in the Holocaust" and that "jazz is a racist musical form invented by whites to enslave blacks."

A 1984 profile by the conservative Heritage Foundation estimated his supporters to number only between 1,000 and 3,000 — "a small, but fanatical following." It was common to see LaRouche supporters handing out literature outside Washington, D.C. subway stations in the early and mid-2000s.
Old 14 February 2019, 03:47 PM

I fail to see how "Only the entire city of San Diego was murdered for their religious beliefs." makes it okay. I mean, it is less horrible in that there are less people for horrible things to happen to, but that like suggesting that saying that Jeffrey Dahmer only killed 16 people, so he wasn't that bad.
Old 14 February 2019, 03:52 PM

It is a very weird thing to argue, that 1.5 million versus 6 million makes a huge difference. Maybe it would downgrade the Nazis to just incredibly evil and horrific, instead of very incredibly evil and horrific?

I wonder if the Queen finally killed him off to keep him quiet about her drug dealing. With El Chapo going to jail, she will need to ramp up her operations.
Old 14 February 2019, 04:16 PM

That was the thought, but last week Pope John Paul II decreed that Queen Elizabeth must keep her drug dealing on the east side of the Atlantic and that Captain Kangaroo and Mr Rodgers would expand their drug ring to include El Chapo's former territory.

PS. As compensation, JP2 said that the queen will be the moonwide distributor of yeti pelts to the crab people.
Old 14 February 2019, 04:51 PM

Icon18

I heard LaRouche was pronounced dead ten years ago as a way to discredit him, but that he still isn't really dead. And he's only eighty-two. So, #FakeNews is what I have to say about this latest story. Story... it certainly is that!
Old 14 February 2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
It is a very weird thing to argue, that 1.5 million versus 6 million makes a huge difference. Maybe it would downgrade the Nazis to just incredibly evil and horrific, instead of very incredibly evil and horrific?.
It is indeed a pretty strange version of Holocaust denial.

But then, LaRouche was a pretty strange character.
Old 14 February 2019, 07:13 PM

He lived a long life and social media and its claims may make him seem quaint. He was not. While his followers believed that mosquitoes could spread AIDS/HIV and that QE2 was the head of a Zionist conspiracy, I am glad to see him gone.
At one point, along with a number of other people, I had the opportunity to leak a document to the NY Times and Washington Post about a current news story. Said document became part of the story.
Within weeks, a LaRouche publication did a story on the leak, getting a number of details wrong, but enough right to spook all of us.
Glad that Lyndon is no longer forgotten, but not gone.

Ali
Old 14 February 2019, 08:37 PM

I don't think I've even heard of this guy before. But that's not terribly surprising as I've never really been all that inclined to pay a lot of attention to conspiracy theorists.
Old 15 February 2019, 12:51 AM

He did run for POTUS several times. While he never looked likely to get elected, he did get himself mentioned in standard news reports; so it wasn't necessary to have followed conspiracy theorists to have learned something about him.

The most recent such campaign seems to have been 2004, though.
Old 15 February 2019, 01:14 AM

United States

Ah yes, 2004, when we were supposed to believe that a decorated war hero was a coward and a traitor while some guy who used his father's wealth and connections to pull an abbreviated stint in the Texas Air National Guard and minimize his risk of ever being deployed was some sort of Everyman.

Wild times.
Old 15 February 2019, 02:58 AM

I guess he just wasn't on my radar.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Ah yes, 2004, when we were supposed to believe that a decorated war hero was a coward and a traitor while some guy who used his father's wealth and connections to pull an abbreviated stint in the Texas Air National Guard and minimize his risk of ever being deployed was some sort of Everyman.

Wild times.
Wild times 2004 ...when will they end do you think.
Old 15 February 2019, 03:32 PM

They've just gotten Wilder is all. Now we get paid off doctors for bonespurs, and ... eh I don't have room, time, or the heart, to continue.
Old 15 February 2019, 11:55 PM

I made the mistake of engaging with one of his supporters once -- this was back around 1980, I'd say; they used to set up a table outside the post office where I maintained a P.O. box. They were heavily pushing fusion power at the time, which is probably how they caught my interest. I took some literature. At home, I read through a bit of it, and said, "This guy is an asshole." When your own literature gives people that impression, you're doing something wrong.

On a later occasion, I tried to explain that starting off a pamphlet on foreign affairs by saying "Henry Kissinger is a fag" is not the best way to appeal to a general audience. The guy just shrugged and said, "Well, he is."

Learning more about LaRouche did not improve my opinion. His group was one of those supporting the initiative back then to keep gay teachers out of classrooms. That was probably one of their more mainstream positions.

Fortunately he faded from most public view by the nineties, though there is actually a reference to him in a Futurama episode, so I guess not entirely...
Old 19 February 2019, 02:19 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post

Wild times.
Don’t forget the part where we learned that adjusting your opinions when new information arises that contradicts them, is the hallmark of a spineless flipper-flopper, whereas stubbornly refusing to change your opinions/actions no matter how much evidence disproves them, is the hallmark of strong, decisive leadership. We were such fools to believe that it was the trait of a pigheaded moron.
Old 19 February 2019, 01:22 PM

Icon27

I used to see his acoylites/followers/fans at various diverse Metro stops. They'd hand out literature to passers-by and I always got one of the tracts to show DH.
Old 05 March 2019, 06:55 AM

Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I made the mistake of engaging with one of his supporters once -- this was back around 1980, I'd say; they used to set up a table outside the post office where I maintained a P.O. box. They were heavily pushing fusion power at the time, which is probably how they caught my interest. I took some literature. At home, I read through a bit of it, and said, "This guy is an asshole." When your own literature gives people that impression, you're doing something wrong.
Wow, that matches my first experience with a LaRouche follower to a T. It was a guy in front of the local post office sitting next to a table with LaRouche pamphlets. I'm not sure about the year but it was around the late '70s/early '80s based on where I was living at the time. I was also interested in their pamphlet about fusion power but the guy at the table started ranting about the Rothschilds. Since I knew what that was dog whistle for I backed away very slowly.

Quote:
Fortunately he faded from most public view by the nineties, though there is actually a reference to him in a Futurama episode, so I guess not entirely...
Yea, I agree. His heyday was probably the '80s. I think by the '90s he got eclipsed by other conspiracy kooks like Art Bell. And in terms of pop culture, I often enjoyed Saturday Night Live's "Lyndon LaRouche Theatre".

Brian
Old 05 March 2019, 04:19 PM

My first exposure to LaRouche was Berkeley Breathed's "The LaRouche Toad-Frog Massacre," a written piece that appeared in one of the "Bloom County" collections. It's transcribed here, for the curious.

It wasn't until several years later that I could do some research on the internet and figure out why the LaRouche-affiliated individuals were "of course, better off dead."
Old 05 March 2019, 05:58 PM

Throw Tomato

I know that LaRouche thought Dick Cheney was the devil incarnate, but loved FDR. I often wondered how he'd react if knew that both men were born on the same day.
Old 07 March 2019, 03:08 AM

Mouse

Really the dude liked FDR?! I thought the Right considered FDR to be History’s Second Greatest Monster. If you’re wondering, History’s Greatest Monster is Hillary Clinton, whom the Right hates more than they’ve ever hated anything or anyone.

Though hating Dick Cheney might be the most sensible thing LaRouche ever did, seeing as Cheney is likely this reality’s version of Randall Flagg. Heaven doesn’t want Cheney and Satan is scared shitless of him. I guess it’s one of those stopped clock moments.