snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 26 February 2019, 05:49 PM

Driver Peugeot will bring French cars back to the US by 2026

Quote:
Ever since PSA, the French auto-manufacturing giant that includes Peugeot and CitroŽn, announced that it wanted to return to the US, we were left with very few details aside from, "Oh, this is a thing we want to do." Now, we have a bit more information about what to expect.
Peugeot will be the first PSA brand to land in the US as part of an effort to bring French cars back to our amber waves of grain, according to comments made this week by PSA CEO Carlos Tavares, as reported by Automotive News. After the initial announcement in 2016, PSA didn't specify which of its groups would be the first to land in the US.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/p...eturn-by-2026/

I wish them well, but I think it will be an uphill battle for them. Looking at their current models it looks like they offer a lineup of fairly ordinary sedans, hatchbacks, and crossovers. It just makes me ask "What do they have to offer the American car buyer that we can't already get from Toyota, Honda, or VW if you want something with more 'European-ness'?" I'm thinking at best Peugeot might become something like what Saab used to be here -- a brand with a fairly small market share but the go to brand for people who want something different.
Old 27 February 2019, 12:46 PM

A lot of previous Peugeot buyers were always impressed with their reliability and their longevity. That being said, I don't know if that's still the case.

I drove a handful of Peugeot's in Europe in the last 20 years and I was always impressed with technology that was ahead of everybody else. For instance, back in 2005 or so, I drove a Peugeot wagon (UK: estate) and it had automatic wipers. Fast forward to 2015, my Jeep has that.

I certainly wish them well. I doubt that I would ever buy one, though.

OY
Old 27 February 2019, 04:30 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
A lot of previous Peugeot buyers were always impressed with their reliability and their longevity. That being said, I don't know if that's still the case.
I've never driven one, but I'm told Peugeot had a good reputation in the US prior to about the 1970s, and then it tanked. Supposedly this was because of their half-assed method of meeting US emissions standards, which basically amounted to slapping some emissions control equipment on their European engines, as opposed to designing engines specifically for the US market like the Japanese and some other European makes did. This hurt both their reliability and performance.

Also, I think a lot of European brands suffered from poor dealer support in the US. What VW and later the Japanese brands did right when they came to the US was to set up dealerships with well stocked parts departments. Whereas if you bought a Peugeot here it probably came from some multi-brand dealer called something like Bob Smith's Imports who carried an eclectic mix of Peugeots, Renaults, Fiats, Austins, etc. If you ever needed a new fuel pump for your Peugeot you were stuck waiting for two weeks while Bob ordered it and had it shipped over from France.

Meanwhile, in parts of Africa Peugeots are renowned for their durability and ruggedness, although I think that applies more to their older models, some of which were still being manufactured in Nigeria into the 2000s.
Old 27 February 2019, 05:04 PM

Driver

I have a vague memory of a game show(High Rollers maybe?) offering a Peugeot as a prize in the mid-70s.
Old 27 February 2019, 08:20 PM

France

I had no idea there aren't Peugeots in the States. Very nice cars with a good reputation. My only nitpick is that the logo is a bit ugly.
Old 27 February 2019, 11:11 PM

There aren't any new Peugeots in the US. There are many old ones including some rally cars.
Old 27 February 2019, 11:22 PM

France

Peugeot left the US in 1991, IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
There aren't any new Peugeots in the US. There are many old ones including some rally cars.
Depends on your definition of "many", I guess. Another article I read on the subject mentioned that there are still about 1500 Peugeots registered in the US. That doesn't seem like a lot to me, although in terms of a car that hasn't been sold here for 28 years maybe that's a lot. And I am guessing those rally cars you mentioned don't actually need to be registered.

Some time last year a saw someone driving a rather weathered looking 505. I'm sure I mentioned it in the "What cars...?" thread.

ETA: If Peugeot is coming back, maybe we'll see a reboot of Columbo, too. The new Columbo will drive a battered old 505 to replace the Peugeot 403 Peter Falk drove.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 27 February 2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 27 February 2019, 11:42 PM

Pennslyvania alone had over 181,000 classic* cars registered in 2017, so I'd say 1,500 Peugeots in the entire US is probably not many. (Averages would say that Pennslyvania has 59 Peugeots in the entire state.)

* 25 years old or older.
Old 28 February 2019, 05:03 AM

Driver

So I guess there are very few CitroŽns Too. These are genuinely surprising facts. (ETA Come to think of it, what about Renault and DS? The US is missing some nice cars.)
Old 28 February 2019, 04:16 PM

CitroŽns are probably even more rare than Peugeots here. Years ago I used to sometimes see someone driving around town in a 2CV*, but I think that may be the only CitroŽn I've ever seen in this country. Renaults used to be somewhat more common due to their partnership with American Motors, but that ended when AMC merged with Chrysler in 1987. Since all the ones originally sold here are now over 30 years old I imagine there are very few left on the road (I wonder how their numbers compare to the 1500 Peugeots). I don't think the DS brand has ever been sold in the US.

*And it's likely that 2CV was a "grey import" from Europe rather than a car that was originally sold here.
Old 28 February 2019, 05:14 PM

Wikipedia says CitroŽn left the North American market in 1974.