snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 July 2018, 07:58 AM

Default Mansplaining gets woman fired. Of course it does.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/6/175...fired-arenanet

I took a gander at the Twitter thread and there’s nothing that doesn’t make me side with her.
Old 07 July 2018, 03:50 PM

Don't know it is that cut and dried. Here is text from some of Ms Price's tweets from before her firing was announced. (The tweets are from July 4th, the announcement from ArenaNet was July 5th.)

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/stat...55719352213504
Quote:
like, the next rando asshat who attempts to explain the concept of branching dialogue to me--as if, you know, having worked in game narrative for a ****ing DECADE, I have never heard of it--is getting instablocked. PSA.
https://twitter.com/Delafina777/stat...81433937981445
Quote:
Since we've got a lot of hurt manfeels today, lemme make something clear: this is my feed. I'm not on the clock here. I'm not your emotional courtesan just because I'm a dev. Don't expect me to pretend to like you here.
There is certainly an issue about private lives vs work lives as this was her personal Twitter account, and definitely sexism at play, but there is more to this than that.

ETA: Also, the male developer who "mansplained" was fired too.
Old 07 July 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Was he? It looks to me like the woman who posted got fired and so did a man who took her side, but that the man who disagreed with her didn't.

But I don't get how this is mansplaining, or sexist. I can't see how he could have disagreed with her more politely.
Old 08 July 2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:

He’s not the one who “mansplained”. If anything, he “white knighted”.

The guy who did mansplain, however, was a bit of a sealion.
Old 08 July 2018, 02:03 AM

He posted on a Twitter feed. He didn't barge into her house. I'm not seeing what he did wrong.
Old 08 July 2018, 02:15 AM

It's a complicated situation. An employee did air her frustrations about her employer's customers on social media in an identifiable way, which is not great. But it wouldn't have amounted to anything if there weren't a bunch of unreasonable Gamergate trolls waiting to pounce on any woman making games for daring to be a woman. It's a lose-lose for the company.
Old 08 July 2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Oops.and letters.
Old 08 July 2018, 08:03 AM

Icon84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
He posted on a Twitter feed. He didn't barge into her house. I'm not seeing what he did wrong.
He didn't deserve the response he got, he essentially was just the straw that broke the camel's back, but she and Fries especially didn't deserve the response from Mike O'Brien.

As an everyday Guild Wars 2 player for over five years who appreciates the progressiveness of their game, I am horrified and appalled at this. I've been on their official forums enough to see the hateful trolls who come out to complain about 'how dare this game have so many female characters, why do the writers hate men by writing them as useless idiots while the women do everything? And why do they have to shove those lesbians in our face, where are the straight couples?!?' These are the trolls that Mike O'Brien just gave in to. Do you think they actually care about civility? Hell no. Just read some of the things the two employees have been subjected to in the trolls' victory mocking:

Quote:
Thousands of comments across multiple threads cheer Price’s firing, and both Price and Fries have subsequently been harassed on social media. On Twitter, Fries posted several screenshots of tweets he’s received since the incident. “Your daddy is a bitch that defends cunts,” tweeted one. “Ask your wife what time I should head over you damn cuck,” says another. “Also tell her to put some salt in the spaghetti this time.”
This is the world that women live in on the internet, especially women in gaming. We're surrounded by vitriol but are expected to smile and nod amidst it all because getting exasperated means you end up the focus of it. Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets to post the most vile personal attacks with no accountability for it. The people who posted the above things aren't going to lose their jobs despite what they said being not just rude but practically being threats.

Quote:
“Their attacks on the community were unacceptable,” O’Brien’s forum statement reads.
So apparently I, a customer who has spent hundreds of dollars on their games, is apparently not a member of the community. What a freaking tool. If I worked there, I would be looking for other employment or organizing to form a union to have protection against this sort of reactionary idiocy or at least trying to get everyone to stop having any interaction with the public at all because there is no reason to risk it.