snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 August 2016, 07:24 PM

Tsk, Tsk Secret Service spoke to Trump campaign about 2nd Amendment comment

Quote:
(CNN)A US Secret Service official confirms to CNN that the USSS has spoken to the Trump campaign regarding his Second Amendment comments.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/10/politi...ent/index.html
Old 10 August 2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Corey Lewandowski, Trump's former campaign manager, said the billionaire businessman was trying to unite Second Amendment supporters to turn out to defeat Clinton. "This was a joke ... He wasn't inciting violence," Lewandowski told Chris Cuomo on CNN's New Day.
Joking about gun violence and assassinations is totally OK, according to this piece of human filth. Nice to know.
Old 11 August 2016, 02:16 AM

Nice piece over at John Scalzi's Whatever about this.
Old 11 August 2016, 02:34 AM

Joking about assassinating a president is a bit like joking about having a bomb in your suitcase when you're in an airport. You might be able to make a case that it isn't a crime, but anyone who speaks in public ought to know that if you say it, you're likely to have the Secret Service knocking on your door.
Old 11 August 2016, 07:15 AM

The Secret Service wouldn't even have had to go far to find him, since Trump 2nd Amendment dog whistled right in front of them. I can barely imagine what was going through the minds of Trump's agents when he said that. Probably shocked disbelief followed by immediately calling their superiors and making sure Clinton's agents get notified ASAP.
Old 11 August 2016, 11:39 AM

Old 11 August 2016, 04:27 PM

Have you been reading a lot of medieval manuscripts lately or something, Mosh?
Old 11 August 2016, 08:24 PM

I read a few articles that said the Secret Service denies talking with the Trump people.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:24 PM

This was one case where I was actually not sure Trump was lying when he denied the conversation took place. I would not think the Secret Service would officially confirm or deny this kind of report, so whoever was the source of the report was presumably speaking off the record. Whether that person knew what they were talking about is not easily confirmed.
Old 11 August 2016, 09:45 PM

Here's Reuters on the story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN10L29W
Old 11 August 2016, 10:42 PM

From the Reuters link (my bold):

Quote:
"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks," Trump told a North Carolina campaign rally on Tuesday. "Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know," he added, leading some critics to believe Trump was referring to gun violence against his rival.
Great example of objectivity there...
Old 12 August 2016, 12:37 PM

Soapbox

My take on this whole thing is that Trump was saying 'if you vote for me, I will choose justices/judges who are for the Second Amendment.' Of course he couldn't just come right out and say it that way, nooooooo, he had to be obtuse and make everybody wonder whether or not he means harm to Hillary.
I don't blame the Secret Service for speaking with him, not at all. If that's Trump's idea of a joke, it's a sick one.
Old 12 August 2016, 01:53 PM

I think that is the point he was addressing. But the joke he made in the course of making that point was about "second Amendment people" as opposed to any other people, being able to do something about it once President Clinton was appointing judges. The only thing that's ambiguous about that is whether he was joking about Clinton or the judges being shot, or both.

In the Rueters report, I notice that the Secret Service statement was that they did not "formally" speak to the campaign. That suggests to me that maybe someone did at least remark on it to them, or maybe even talk to someone about it, but without official sanction from higher up.
Old 12 August 2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
My take on this whole thing is that Trump was saying 'if you vote for me, I will choose justices/judges who are for the Second Amendment.' Of course he couldn't just come right out and say it that way, nooooooo, he had to be obtuse and make everybody wonder whether or not he means harm to Hillary.
I don't blame the Secret Service for speaking with him, not at all. If that's Trump's idea of a joke, it's a sick one.
I can't parse the statement that way. It's an if/then: IF Hillary Clinton is President, there's nothing you can do--but THEN maybe the second amendment crowd could . . . . .

I can't read that as a joke, only as a very thinly veiled invitation to violence.
Old 12 August 2016, 06:01 PM

The other problem with the "its a call to vote" excuse is why can only the 2nd Amendment people vote against her?

I might buy the call to vote explanation if Trump didn't have a history of calling for violence against those who disagree with him.
Old 14 August 2016, 10:07 AM

Icon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
But the joke he made in the course of making that point was about "second Amendment people" as opposed to any other people, being able to do something about it once President Clinton was appointing judges. The only thing that's ambiguous about that is whether he was joking about Clinton or the judges being shot, or both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
I can't parse the statement that way. It's an if/then: IF Hillary Clinton is President, there's nothing you can do--but THEN maybe the second amendment crowd could . . . . .

I can't read that as a joke, only as a very thinly veiled invitation to violence.
More on why the joke explanation makes no sense:
"The defenses of Donald Trumpís 'Second Amendment' comment donít make sense. Here's why." Washington Post 10 August 2016
Quote:
"If [Hillary Clinton] gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks." There's "nothing you can do" in this situation because Trump is talking about a time in which the 2016 election has already passed and Clinton is president. If he wasn't talking about that situation, why would he say there was "nothing you can do?" During the election, there's something pretty obvious you can do: Prevent her from becoming president in the first place.

Then Trump immediately follows it up by saying, "But I tell you what, that'll be a horrible day." Again, this strongly suggests the time frame he's talking about is when she's already in the White House. Otherwise, both the "horrible day" comment and the "nothing you can do" comment that bookend his Second Amendment remark are total non sequiturs.
Brian
Old 14 August 2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I think he intended it as a kind of joke, but that does not mean it wasn't also an invitation to violence, or that it was funny, or that he is in any way excused from having said it.

Crius of CoH's link does a great job of discussing this point, and there is another very astute perspective here: https://mobile.twitter.com/5thCircAp...98172633657344 about the social uses of humor, and what effects the joke has.
Old 15 August 2016, 01:16 AM

Mouse

Quote:

It is a standard defense of Assholes everywhere, the old "I was just kidding. God, why do you have to be so sensitive about everything?" bit. I wonder if there's a formal name for this fallacy.

For the record, I am aware that there are very real instances of people getting too worked up over jokes, but most of the time I see this defense, Asshole has said something no one could possibly find funny and is hoping to weasel out of the consequences of his/her actions. It usually goes something like this:

Person X: I hope Person Y is gang-raped and left to die in a ditch.

Person Z: That's a horrible thing to say.

Person X: I was only kidding! God, why do you gotta be so sensitive about everything?!
Old 15 August 2016, 01:37 AM

It's why I never watch Comedy Central.