snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 09 November 2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
This discussion reminds me of this video I saw last week:
Except I don't accept that the verses referred to in that video (the real verses, not the satirical mis-quotes) are truly representative of Jesus' teachings on the whole.

Or even that Jesus is represented consistently in the four gospels. Jesus in Matthew is not the same as Jesus in Luke is not the same as Jesus in John, right down to who's to blame for killing him (or if anyone is to blame at all). One Jesus seems like the type to argue that, in fact, the old law does still apply and should be followed even more closely. Another is more like "meh, forget all that old Jewish stuff, it's cool as long as you're with me, bro--and I do mean bro."
Old 31 January 2019, 04:06 PM

Default Kentucky governor says Kim Davis should pay legal fees in same-sex marriage case

As a candidate for governor in 2015, Matt Bevin said he "absolutely supported" a Kentucky county clerk who stopped issuing marriage licenses because of her opposition to gay marriage.

But four years later, after a court ordered Kentucky taxpayers to pay more than $222,000 in legal fees for the gay and straight couples who sued, outside lawyers for now Gov. Bevin say former Rowan County clerk Kim Davis broke the law and taxpayers "should not have to collectively bear the financial responsibility for Davis' intransigence."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...marriage-case/
Old 31 January 2019, 04:51 PM

From a 2014 story:

Quote:
Bevinís net worth is between $13.4 million and $54.9 million, according to filings with the U.S. Senate Ethics Committee.
As he supported Clarke at the time (and apparently still does), if he doesn't want the taxpayers to have to come up with $222,000, maybe he ought to spring for it.
Old 31 January 2019, 04:59 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
"should not have to collectively bear the financial responsibility for Davis' intransigence."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...marriage-case/

Well those fines ain't gonna pay themselves. Maybe this woman's church/her allies should set up a GoFund Me page.
Old 31 January 2019, 05:06 PM

Wholly inconsistent. And perfectly in keeping with what I know about the religious right. Consistently inconsistent.
Old 31 January 2019, 08:16 PM

If you started taxing churches, it would more than pay that $222,000 in the first year alone.