snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 03 June 2014, 04:30 PM

Icon102 Female Hurricanes Kill More than Male Hurricanes because People Don't Respect Them

I had to shorten the headline.

Female-named Hurricanes Kill More than Male Hurricanes because People Don't Respect Them, Study Finds

Quote:
People don’t take hurricanes as seriously if they have a feminine name and the consequences are deadly, finds a new groundbreaking study.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:49 PM

I know several ladies--my late mother included--who seem to take a certain amount of pride in how destructive their namesake hurricanes were.
Old 03 June 2014, 04:51 PM

Didn't it occur to them that the destruction resulted in death, injury, and significant property loss?
Old 03 June 2014, 06:16 PM

A thought I had when I read this was how familiar these people in the study were with the naming process of hurricanes. Whether they knew the names were generated before the season started and were just used in alphabetical order or thought names were made up on the spot and were subjective.
Old 03 June 2014, 06:32 PM

Jeff Lazo from the National Centre for Atmospheric Research disagrees. He’s a social scientist and economist who has looked into the public communication of hurricane risk, and he thinks the pattern is most likely a statistical fluke, which arose because of the ways in which the team analysed their data.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic....han-male-ones/
Old 03 June 2014, 06:54 PM

I misread the title to say that the female hurricanes are angry due to lack of respect and are killing as a result.
Old 03 June 2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
Didn't it occur to them that the destruction resulted in death, injury, and significant property loss?
Yes. I don't mean that they were unsympathetic to the victims, but every year during the storm season, mother would mention what her namesake storm did. When they started using men's names, she wondered aloud what my namesake would do (we haven't had one yet.)
Old 03 June 2014, 07:33 PM

Actually, I would think that because hurricanes had been female-named a good 25 years before they started using male names (1953-1978) then of course it makes sense that a good portion of deadly hurricanes would have been given female names. At least in that quarter century that they were only female named.
Old 03 June 2014, 07:39 PM

Yeah, the National Geographic article discusses that:
Quote:
Jung’s team tried to address this problem by separately analysing the data for hurricanes before and after 1979. They claim that the findings “directionally replicated those in the full dataset” but that’s a bit of a fudge. The fact is they couldn’t find a significant link between the femininity of a hurricane’s name and the damage it caused for either the pre-1979 set or the post-1979 one (and a “marginally significant interaction” of p=0.073 doesn’t really count). The team argues that splitting the data meant there weren’t enough hurricanes in each subset to provide enough statistical power. But that only means we can’t rule out a connection between gender and damage; we can’t soundly confirm one either.
Old 03 June 2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
Actually, I would think that because hurricanes had been female-named a good 25 years before they started using male names (1953-1978) then of course it makes sense that a good portion of deadly hurricanes would have been given female names. At least in that quarter century that they were only female named.
There are a lot of statistical errors that could have been made but I doubt that is one of them. Indeed, a statistician would have to consciously try to make such a silly mistake.
Old 03 June 2014, 09:02 PM

I saw this headline pop up on social media a few times before I really looked at it; scrolling past the first few times, I thought it was an Onion article and smirked a bit at the absurd but clever commentary.

But nope, it's real. Which. Wow. Even as a pretty radical feminist, this baffles me a bit.
Old 08 June 2014, 03:05 AM

Throw Tomato

If I didn't ask this every time the issue came up, I wouldn't be ganzfeld: Why does anyone use this stupid system of names in the first place?
Old 08 June 2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
If I didn't ask this every time the issue came up, I wouldn't be ganzfeld: Why does anyone use this stupid system of names in the first place?
Do you mean using any names at all or specifically using people's names?
Old 08 June 2014, 03:45 AM

Better than trying to remember and track storm JU072014-A.
Old 08 June 2014, 04:21 AM

Each year the first storm is called storm no. 1. After that comes no. 2 and then, you guessed it, no. 3. It's really not that difficult. Substitute ABC or even Alpha, Beta, Gamma (which is what they use when they run out of stupid names anyway). There isn't any reason to use an infantile system of human given names.
Old 08 June 2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Do you mean using any names at all or specifically using people's names?
I mean there's no reason to use any words at all - but especially human given names. It's really the dumbest system imaginable.
Old 08 June 2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Because they are easier for people to keep straight than 1,2,3 or a,b,c , etc. When there are 2-4 named storms in a region, names are more memorable than generic designations.
Old 08 June 2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
When there are 2-4 named storms in a region, names are more memorable than generic designations.
Interesting hypothesis. Any evidence? Any reason to have to remember them? Not all places in the world use names. Do they have any problem at all with numbers or letters? (Although we all know anecdotes aren't data, from my experience, the answer is no.)
Old 08 June 2014, 09:41 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Interesting hypothesis. Any evidence? Any reason to have to remember them? Not all places in the world use names. Do they have any problem at all with numbers or letters? (Although we all know anecdotes aren't data, from my experience, the answer is no.)
I imagine it's because while immediately you might be remembering Hurricane A ten years from now you'd be saying "Hurricane A? Umm .. 1979? It hit Galveston?" blankly. It's also probably easier on the meteorologists.
Old 08 June 2014, 11:01 AM

In practice that's not a problem. Yes, we would just say Typhoon 5 - 2007 (for example). There's not really any need to anthropomorphize. There's no need or advantage to remember it by a sophomoric system of personal names. I don't see why it would be easier for meteorologists. Do seismologists say "Bill the Earthquake"? Do we have "volcanic eruption Rebecca"? I've never heard of any problem remembering them. (Nor have I ever heard anyone in countries where tropical storms names aren't used say, "gee, which one was it, No.7 in 1978 or No. 7 in 2003?" It just doesn't happen.)