snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 11 February 2014, 11:31 AM

Default Former child star Shirley Temple dies

Shirley Temple, who rose to fame as arguably one of the most famous child actresses in Hollywood history, has died, her publicist said.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/37...ey-Temple-dies

Magdalene
Old 11 February 2014, 12:39 PM

Me too, and also that she was only 85. For some reason I associate her almost with the silent film era (which is silly since I think all her films involved singing and talking).

I guess if she was 85 she would have been born around 1929 though (1928 according to Wikipedia) and she started acting aged 3 or so, so she was already a star in the early 1930s, which isn't as far off the silent era as all that. I guess if you start very young, then you carry on being younger than people think.
Old 11 February 2014, 12:53 PM

She wasn't able to quite make the transition to being an adult actress, but she did have a second career as a diplomat. She was Ambassador to Czechoslovakia at the time of the fall of Communism.
Old 11 February 2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
She wasn't able to quite make the transition to being an adult actress, but she did have a second career as a diplomat. She was Ambassador to Czechoslovakia at the time of the fall of Communism.
And if memory serves, she was also Ambassador to the U.N. at one time. Anyone old enough to remember the TV series "Shirley Temple's Storybook?" I can't remember if it began as that and then became "The Shirley Temple Show" or vice-versa, but it was a prime-time family show back in the late fifties/early sixties that drew from folklore and children's lit. I can remember an adaptation of one of the Oz books. Temple was host of the show and occasionally took a role in it. Her children also appeared in one or two episodes. When I was a kid, I thought she was funny and cute in her old movies, but had the uneasy feeling that if I'd encountered that chipper little girl in real life, I'd want to back away slowly....
Old 11 February 2014, 01:04 PM

She was way too chipper for me even on a screen. I come by it honestly; my mother never liked her, either. But I admired her accomplishments, as a child and as an adult.
Old 11 February 2014, 01:41 PM

My mom was born on the same day as Shirley Temple (same year too) so I've always been somewhat aware of her. (I wouldn't say follow her career, since I don't think I've ever watched any of her movies in full) But I knew she had been an ambassador & how old she was. RIP Mrs. Temple Black.

Jaci
Old 11 February 2014, 01:50 PM

Her movies are certainly period pieces. I can't think of any child star today that compares to her. And certainly her adult life was a lot less messed up than that of most former child stars.
Old 11 February 2014, 02:23 PM

Glasses

I am a huge Shirley Temple fan.

In her honor, I post this link to one of her earliest films (she was three, I believe).

Seaboe
Old 11 February 2014, 02:45 PM

Never a big fan, but I know she had an immense impact through her films. Dancing with Bill Robinson (BoJangles Robinson) was actually a pioneering feat. And as others have said, she managed to the avoid the pitfalls that beset other child actors, even of her own generation--Our Gang, etc. RIP Shirley Temple Black.

Ali
Old 11 February 2014, 03:10 PM

She may have had the most prolific post-Hollywood career of any child star (excluding those who, like Justin Timberlake and Ryan Gosling, continued in their acting career), being appointed as ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia and serving in various roles under Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Bush. In a world where all too often those kinds of things turn out poorly (Gary Coleman being the obvious example but there was also a very early child star whose parents took all of his money and whose circumstances were the basis of the very laws that Coleman's parents broke when they in turn took his money), that is nice, at least.
Old 11 February 2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
Gary Coleman being the obvious example but there was also a very early child star whose parents took all of his money and whose circumstances were the basis of the very laws that Coleman's parents broke when they in turn took his money.
Jackie Coogan, made between 3 and 4 million in 1930s dollars playing Oliver Twist and along side Charlie Chaplin in The Kid, but saw none of it. California passed the California Child Actor's Bill, popularly as the Coogan Act, in response. He would later go on to play Uncle Fester in the Adamms Family and become a semi-successful character actor on TV in his later years.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 11 February 2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11 February 2014, 03:46 PM

I heard an (old) interview with Ambassador Black today in which they said she had earned about $3.5 million (in oldy time dollars), but due to mismanagement by her dad she ended up with about $44,000. She just said her dad had done the best he could...and then went on to have a very successful life, including being marrried for 55 years.
Old 11 February 2014, 05:38 PM

So weird. She came up in conversation on Saturday night, and I surprised people with the fact that (as of Saturday night) she was still alive.
Old 11 February 2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Anyone old enough to remember the TV series "Shirley Temple's Storybook?" I can't remember if it began as that and then became "The Shirley Temple Show" or vice-versa, but it was a prime-time family show back in the late fifties/early sixties that drew from folklore and children's lit. I can remember an adaptation of one of the Oz books. Temple was host of the show and occasionally took a role in it. Her children also appeared in one or two episodes.
So that's what I remembered. I never saw the show, but she related this anecdote, for which I might not have the details exactly right. They were doing an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, and one of her children said, "Oh, do it, Mommy. You'd make a keen beast!"

In case anyone's curious, my dad had a cousin named Shirley Temple who used to babysit him. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the famous Shirley Temple did not need the babysitting money by the time he was born! (Plus, if you've met the Temple family, the last thing we're known for is hair.)
Old 11 February 2014, 06:21 PM

I grew up watching Shirley Temple movies on TV. I've even admired from afar (mom still won't let me touch it) an original Shirley Temple doll from the '30s.

It's funny though I know she didn't have much success transitioning to adult roles but two of my favourite films of hers are ones where she is playing a teenager. Since You Went Away and The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer. I think she had the talent to continue to act but the public just couldn't accept her without her curls I guess.
Old 11 February 2014, 06:59 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I heard an (old) interview with Ambassador Black today in which they said she had earned about $3.5 million (in oldy time dollars), but due to mismanagement by her dad she ended up with about $44,000. She just said her dad had done the best he could...and then went on to have a very successful life, including being marrried for 55 years.
She did not reveal how little money she had left until after her father died; he'd done his best, but was not a very good investment manager and she did not want him humiliated.

Her lack of a post-adolescent movie career had more to do with 20th Century not wanting her to grow up than lack of talent.

Seaboe
Old 11 February 2014, 07:02 PM

I saw The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer a few months ago and really enjoyed it.
Old 11 February 2014, 11:43 PM

I'm another who was surprised she was still alive. For some reason I thought she died back in the 1980s.
Old 12 February 2014, 12:24 AM

My first response was "Only 85?" For some reason, I believed her career began much earlier than it really did.
Old 12 February 2014, 12:26 AM

Icon220

A couple of months ago, the Classic Radio channel on Sirius XM played an old Bob Hope variety show from 1947 that featured (then 19yo) Shirly. They mentioned she "was making a big comeback," and would be starring in an upcoming RKO feature, "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer."

She sang, danced (we were told), acted in a skit and engaged in a quick but lively back-and-forth with Bob that seemed to be pretty much off off the cuff. Humor-wise, she held her own with Bob, and seemed to be a hit with the live (Army Base) audience.

I think Seaboe nailed it. No one at the time, studios or audience, were interested in a grown up version of her.

Last edited by DrRocket; 12 February 2014 at 12:34 AM.