snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 09 January 2014, 05:00 AM

Default (Former Germany international star) Thomas Hitzlsperger announces he is gay

Thomas Hitzlsperger has become the most high-profile footballer to come out, announcing on Wednesday that he is gay. The former Aston Villa, West Ham and Everton player has given a long interview to the German paper Die Zeit, in which he says that he is talking about his sexuality because he wants "to further the debate about homosexuality among sports professionals".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ces-homosexual

My respect to Thomas Hitzlsperger!
Old 09 January 2014, 03:14 PM

Germany

Good for him! Sounds like speaking out for gays/against homophobia may be a trend in Germany.

#Mundpropaganda Gentlemen against homophobia

Making of #Mundpropaganda (German with English subtitles)

Heterosexual German stars, including my favorite singer Herbert Grönemeyer, share a kiss to combat homophobia.
Old 09 January 2014, 04:40 PM

That's great, but I wish he would have done this before he had retired. It makes me wonder if there really is a big possibility of backlash among the teams if they come out while still playing.