snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 05 February 2013, 02:59 PM

Default A Loaded Gun: A mass shooter’s tragic past

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...1fa_fact_keefe

Quote:
Amy Bishop, a neurobiologist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, sat down at the conference table just moments before the faculty meeting began. It was three o’clock on February 12, 2010, and thirteen professors and staff members in the biology department had crowded into a windowless conference room on the third floor of the Shelby Center for Science and Technology. The department chair, a plant biologist named Gopi Podila, distributed a printed agenda. Bishop was sitting next to him, in a spot by the door. Inside her handbag was a gun.

@ Chloe- I apologize if the article causes you any pain since you knew some of those involved.
Old 05 February 2013, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the share. I particularly got intrigued by how the reporter tried to work through the many different accounts of the death of her brother. It forms a rather compelling narrative.

I wonder what the people proposing some kind of "mental health database" would expect in a case like this where it appears that everyone around Bishop covered up the case and the final diagnosis of psychiatrists proved her to not be insane.
Old 05 February 2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
I wonder what the people proposing some kind of "mental health database" would expect in a case like this where it appears that everyone around Bishop covered up the case and the final diagnosis of psychiatrists proved her to not be insane.
Insane isn't a medical concept. So all the psychiatrist was saying is that she is culpable for her actions.