snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 09 June 2009, 05:02 PM

Military Big brother is WATCHING me and YOU!!

Comment: This was passed along to me by the U.S. Concealed Carry Assoc association. This one is for you Veterans. I have never heard of this before, but I thought it was important enough to pass along here.

"I had a doctors appointment at the local V A clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along.. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?)
(2. Did I feel threatened?)
(3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?)

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the V A would have reported
it to Homeland Security.

I am a Viet Nam vet and 15 year cc permit holder. Looks like they are going after us vets."

Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists. If you are a veteran, you've been warned. If you know veterans, please pass this on to them.
Old 09 June 2009, 05:06 PM

The VA cannot just reveal that information to a government agency, or to anybody else, for that matter, without the patient's consent, except in very limited circumstances, and I don't think a three-question mini-mental status exam is going to qualify.

Also, what does Homeland Security have to do with the issuance of CCW permits, since CCW permits are issued by states?
Old 09 June 2009, 05:08 PM

Is the nurse part of "the Obama administration", then? What about the Veterans Association, which according to this both have access to his medical records and are prepared to shop him to some sort of anti-gun police over them? Is the nurse also in the Veterans Association, and more informed about its policies than a typical veteran? Are veterans and gun owners not potential terrorists? Is the usual practice for allowing people to have guns in the USA to ask them whether they feel like doing harm to somebody, and if they answer "yes", saying "OK, here you are then"? I don't understand.
Old 09 June 2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
The VA cannot just reveal that information to a government agency, or to anybody else, for that matter, without the patient's consent, except in very limited circumstances, and I don't think a three-question mini-mental status exam is going to qualify.

Also, what does Homeland Security have to do with the issuance of CCW permits, since CCW permits are issued by states?
Who needs logic? There's fear-mongering to be done!
Old 29 February 2012, 08:08 PM

Tantrum

I know this is an old thread, but I just got this email today from my CHURCH email distribution.

I replied (not to ALL) to the sender: "Please, if you are going to forward unsubstantiated claims, remove me from this distribution."

I wanted to say more, such as I thought that email distribution was for church business or church information (we have a separate prayer request email), but in the end I just decided to ask them to remove me.

Wouldn't be surprised if they started sending emails about abortion ultrasounds being rape, next.
Old 29 February 2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy Lady View Post
I wanted to say more, such as I thought that email distribution was for church business or church information
I would definitely pursue that route (and have with other organization email lists) - such lists definitely have the capacity to be used for good (our church has funeral notices, information about special events, weather cancellations, etc.), but if people start ignoring them because they're being used for mindless forwards it tarnishes the very reputation of the organization. (When we had people doing this kind of crap with my barbershop chorus, I was able to cite them for violating the Society's Code of Ethics and threaten them with removal from the group list for further offenses. I also pointed them toward snopes as a matter of course.)
Old 29 February 2012, 08:26 PM

musicgeek, that is a great point. I will probably send the admin some version of what you mentioned.
Old 29 February 2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy Lady View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if they started sending emails about abortion ultrasounds being rape, next.
I would. They sound on the opposite side of that issue, and would likely argue that a TSA patdown is just like rape, while having to have an instrument inserted into your vagina is just fine, even if you plan on a non-surgical abortion, and that'll larn you next time.
Old 29 February 2012, 09:29 PM

That may be true Chloe!

I did send a second email that said:

"Not to beat this to death, but I thought this list was for church information, such as information about special events, weather cancellations, etc., but if people start ignoring them because they're being used for questionable forwards it tarnishes the very reputation of the organization."

I only modified it a little bit from musicgeek's wording.
Old 01 March 2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists.
IIRC, this came from a report that was issued early in the Obama administration and was actually produced during the Bush administration, but I can't remember enough about it to google it without coming up with a bunch of right-wing survivalist wacko BS.
Old 01 March 2012, 01:27 PM

I told my daughter what I did re: this letter (we go to the same church) and she basically said I shouldn't have said anything, that I need to learn to let things go. I told her this wasn't the first time, and that I hate things like this that spread lies.

I will let some things go (depending on the situation). But spreading falsehoods by forwarding emails is where I draw the line.

I guess my daughter thinks it embarrasses her, and wants us all to just get along, but I do pick and choose my battles and this is one I pick.
Old 01 March 2012, 01:32 PM

I think you're drawing the line appropriately, FL.
Old 01 March 2012, 02:34 PM

Children are easily embarassed by their parents, but I don't think this is a valid one..

My Dad trying to force the local grocery store to hire bilingual employees by pretending not to speak english, is embarassing.

Making the person responsible for the church email stop sending propagandist crap, is not.
Old 03 March 2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
IIRC, this came from a report that was issued early in the Obama administration and was actually produced during the Bush administration, but I can't remember enough about it to google it without coming up with a bunch of right-wing survivalist wacko BS.
From what I recall, it was a report which mentioned that many domestic terror groups are motivated by traditionally conservative issues - the right to own guns, dislike of large government, and so on.

It got taken out of context (likely on purpose) to make it seem the admin considered all conservatives potential terrorists.
Old 04 March 2012, 09:37 PM
jakestarkey

I am a vet, and I doubt that the VA, which I use quite often, has any such reporting system based on three simple questions. The questions probably lead to a Mental Health referral request for the vet that is entirely voluntary. Sounds like a slam scam to me.