snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10 October 2008, 04:42 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Icon18 Secret Service On My Steps

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/secretservice.asp
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10 October 2008, 04:45 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Because that girl on the phone doesn't have the
pull to send the Secret Service to my home. Someone high in the ranks of
a campaign working for a man who may be the next President of the United
States of America felt comfortable bringing the force of the Federal
Government to bear on a private citizen on nothing but the word of a
partisan volunteer.
Obama's not President yet, and he opposes the party and policies of the incumbent President. What makes this woman think the Secret Service dances to his tune?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10 October 2008, 04:49 PM
rangerdog's Avatar
rangerdog rangerdog is offline
 
Join Date: 19 July 2002
Location: IOP Soiuth Carolina
Posts: 6,204
Default

Jessica, I think you are a liar.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10 October 2008, 04:52 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,587
Default

I also love how she claims that even if she'd said "I will never support Obama and he will wind up dead on a hospital floor," that's not a threat -- but the Secret Service's allusions to the fact that they didn't arrest her are threats.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10 October 2008, 04:54 PM
tribrats's Avatar
tribrats tribrats is offline
 
 
Join Date: 15 September 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 6,531
Blow Your Top

Pretending for one asinine moment that this is real, I think most people faced with someone NOT willing to show a badge for inspection would be, I hope, heading for the phone to call 911 and report them. Let the locals sort it out with the so-called Officials.

I've called to verify when the cable guy showed up in his own car to collect the cable box. Just seems to make sense to do the same for anyone not willing to verify who they are.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10 October 2008, 05:00 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Obama's not President yet, and he opposes the party and policies of the incumbent President. What makes this woman think the Secret Service dances to his tune?
Doesn't the Secret Service pretty much follow up all reported threats against the President or presidential candidates? If I called up the authorities and reported that my neighbor had been talking about how "this country would be much better off if someone killed John McCain before the election," I wouldn't be surprised if he got a visit from an agent or two.

- snopes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10 October 2008, 05:01 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
 
Join Date: 20 May 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 682
Icon05

This thing makes less sense as it goes on. Let's have a look at some choice phrases, shall we?


Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Luckily the big file they had gathered on me didn't indicate mental
instability or a past life of stalking/crime, however they did want to
know how I felt about Obama.
Okay, the Secret Service just happened to show up with the file they gathered on you and let you read it? Or did you just happen to order a copy of the file the FBI had on you before you got your surprise visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
They informed me that there was no evidence she was an Obama
supporter.someone calling from his campaign.are you kidding?
No, are YOU kidding? So if the lady that called you wasn't an Obama supporter from his campaign, who is she? Someone from the Secret Service trying to trap people into disparaging a candidate? Maybe the thought police wouldn't be a bad idea, since someone has apparently stolen your brain.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10 October 2008, 05:04 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Doesn't the Secret Service pretty much follow up all reported threats against the President or presidential candidates? If I called up the authorities and reported that my neighbor had been talking about how "this country would be much better off if someone killed John McCain before the election," I wouldn't be surprised if he got a visit from an agent or two.

- snopes
Yes, they do. Which is quite a bit different from the OP's suggestion that some highly placed person in the Obama campaign pulled the strings to make the visit happen.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11 October 2008, 08:42 AM
Floater's Avatar
Floater Floater is offline
 
Join Date: 24 February 2000
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 6,853
Icon02

Apart from everything else mentioned in this thread:
Quote:
... your guy is a socialist ...
I wouldn't give her many points for political awareness, but then again she comes from a country where people think that liberal means left wing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11 October 2008, 03:35 PM
FullMetal FullMetal is offline
 
Join Date: 19 December 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,376
Default

To me it sounds like we're hearing only half of the conversation. this lady is obviously very opposed to Obama, which is her right. she was driving and got an unsolicted call on her cell phone, which would make anyone mad. heck i'd be mad too. espeically if someone I dispised (or their agent) called me to get my support for him. and being on the other side of those conversations, I know that things can be said in the heat of the moment that are forgotten. she may have said "how would he like to be found dead on a hospital floor" after the babies comment. passion makes you say something like that which you dismiss, but which someone else could take as a veiled threat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11 October 2008, 06:29 PM
Christie Christie is offline
 
Join Date: 28 November 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 30,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
To me it sounds like we're hearing only half of the conversation. this lady is obviously very opposed to Obama, which is her right. she was driving and got an unsolicted call on her cell phone, which would make anyone mad. heck i'd be mad too.
Why would you be mad? Here's a radical idea - turn your phone off while driving (if what makes you angry is getting calls then) or don't answer it when you don't recognize the caller or don't want to talk to them. Problem solved with no need to burst a blood vessel. Since when is it now some kind of rule that a phone must be answered even if it makes you "mad"?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11 October 2008, 06:49 PM
FullMetal FullMetal is offline
 
Join Date: 19 December 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,376
Default

i was more referring to unsolicited calls on my cell... they cost me money... and due to my job, I have to answer all calls to it. it would piss me off to have to talk to someone i didn't want to at my own expense...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16 October 2008, 03:21 PM
Goober
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ETA – It took me a couple days to get signed up on the boards, so I wrote this a few days ago, so dates might be off a day or two.

This same lady called into *I think* the Rush Limbaugh show (possibly Sean Hannity?) as I was driving to the tire store yesterday. I listen to talk radio quite often; conservative and middle of the road type stuff, as it amuses me to no end (heck of a lot better than the crap music they play these days).

In any case, she told this same story, and was quite believable, in the telling of it. However, I cannot help but point out a couple of obvious facts:

1.) The person on the other end of the line was obviously stumping for Obama. She called from his campaign. It is certainly not beyond the realm of possibility that this person, in a fit of anger when someone “insulted” her candidate, called the SS (oooh, I don’t think I’ll abbreviate that anymore, it is just kind of creepy, at the risk of unintentionally Godwinizing) and modified what she said to “sic” the Service on her. Totally believable. Can anyone argue with that?

2.) If this truly happened, it was an action by one of Obama’s SUPPORTERS, not by Obama himself. My guess is that Obama would not approve, and regardless of what you think of him, I think you all would likely agree, no? Besides, I seriously doubt any candidate would like to be held accountable for the actions of his or her supporters. I’m sure the KKK endorsed McCain (being the only alternative to an n-word, in their view). Does that make McCain a racist?

3.) Obviously an effed up situation, and possibly a true one, at that, since this written account matches the verbal account I heard yesterday (though there are other obvious explanations for that). It is not beyond the realm of belief, possibility, or even probability. In fact, I am surprised this sort of thing doesn’t happen more often. I told off a survey guy the other day in almost the same kind of thing, and all it would have taken is for him to call the respective campaign, twist my words, and I, too, would have the Service visiting my house.

4.) It is understandable that this lady feels the way she does, and that conservatives are threatened by this sort of action. Ask yourself honestly, since there are a lot of Obama supporters on this board… If this had been the other way around, how many of you would have come on here squawking about “right wing fascism?” However, I think most all of us need to take a chill pill when it comes to the actions of un-sponsored supporters of candidates. Both of them have close, personal ties to characters unsavory enough that we don’t have to manufacture “vast left or right-wing conspiracies” to find things about them to dislike.

That’s where my analysis ends, because I suspect the whole description of how the agents acted, the description of the “big file” etc was probably exaggeration to make the story worse than it actually was. And yes, I do believe the Service agents were pissed and angry. They probably hate those kinds of calls because it makes them feel like Gestapo, and it is a waste of their time, but they have to do their job.

Whew, long first post. Sorry to come on board and start off with something so wordy. It feels sort of pretentious, so I hope that you’ll indulge me just this once…
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.