snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 18 September 2008, 07:49 PM

Fright Secret Service Investigates Second Threatening Obama Letter

Quote:
The Secret Service is investigating a second letter sent to a Livingston County address containing vulgar language related to presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama.

One letter was sent to Livingston County Democratic Party headquarters expressing a “wish” that Obama “gets a bullet.”

A second letter has surfaced, to a Howell business stating “Think hard about who you are trying to elect you liberal piece of s--- n----- lover.”

Both included the same six-page document printed out from Snopes.com about the college thesis of Obama’s wife, Michelle.
http://www.livingstondaily.com/apps/...EWS01/80917003
Old 18 September 2008, 08:13 PM

OMG!!!!!11!!!111!!! The return address is GWBush, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!!!1!!11! He must have gotten so frustrated not being invited to the political events, he's started pranking people!

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 18 September 2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 18 September 2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
OMG!!!!!11!!!111!!! The return address is GWBush, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!!!1!!11! He must have gotten do frustrated not being invited to the political events, he's started pranking people!
"I'm sick of ever'body ignorin' me and forgettin' I'm still President! I'll fix 'em!"
Old 19 September 2008, 07:44 PM

Police

I would imagine that the Secret Service deals with dozens (if not hundreds) of cases per week. Why are only some of them becoming news.
Old 16 October 2008, 03:25 PM
Goober

With the tension built into this election, with so much at stake, and with *gasp* an “n-word” running for the Presidency*, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a lot more of this sort of thing going on.

As hateful as the far extremes of both sides can be, I do have to say, it is the far right that excels with death threats and threats of violence. I think it has something to do with the fact that folks on the far-right tend to be “take matters into your own hands” type folks, while the folks on the far left tend to try and paint themselves as victims of one sort or another, an action that would be sort of diminished if they were making active death threats against the object of their ire.

You have now been enlightened on Goober’s “totally inconsequential and obvious rant of the day”.

*Which, as I’ve said before, is a pitiful excuse for those using it if Obama were not elected as president, but would be a totally understandable reason for threats of violence against him. The former relies on 50% of Americans being rank closet racists. The latter relies only on one person being a racist. Former, not so much. Latter, totally believable (and almost expected, unfortunately).

And to Skeptic’s comment, I would also add “why are only threats against Sen. Obama making the news?” It is a cinch that someone, somewhere, is making threats against McCain, who is a disabled war hero. Why do only the threats against Obama make the grade?