snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 17 March 2008, 05:06 PM

Glasses Husband remains in the dark about wife's nighttime visitor

Haven't we talked about this once before?

First Letter
Old 17 March 2008, 05:22 PM

I read that, and I'm a bit, "Huh?" about that.

I'm of two minds on that--part of me thinks if the wife was sick, tired, and perhaps had taken cold medicine, she might've been *just* groggy enough to be fooled, especially if the brother in question kept fairly quiet and stuck to 'vanilla sex'.

But for some niggling reason, I think the wife was more aware/more willing participant of what was going on than she admits, may have had a guilty conscience, and 'confessed' to her husband under the guise of "It wasn't my fault honey, really, I thought it was you in the dark!" (I obviously have nothing to base that on, just some odd feeling.)

Magdalene
Old 17 March 2008, 05:25 PM

Yeah, I don't think I believe it either. It's way too "Decameron"-esque. The idea that someone can suddenly disgusie themselves because it's dark out...the whole thing seems as ridiculous now as it was then.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:05 AM

I have definitely heard this one before, and wish I could remember where, but it was definitely somewhere where it was debunked...sorry no cite, but I'm sure of it.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:27 AM

Sounds like a classic Dear Abby UL.

But, if the wife were a "willing participant", why would she fess up so readily the next day? Why not wait until she was called on it to explain herself?

And also, if it was true, and did go down as stated, the husband is letting the rape of his wife slide. Um, creepy much? And one of his brothers is a rapist, and he isn't telling her she was violated because he's jealous?

WTF, mate?
Old 18 March 2008, 12:32 AM

Hello Kitty

Seriously, this was a real rape case we discussed here a while ago! A woman was asleep and her husband's brother came in the room and had sex with her. It wasn't until he was finished and left that she saw it was the brother and not the husband. We had a big debate about whether or not it was rape. I can't find the thread, though.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:36 AM

Well it would be rape if the brother knew. The raping brother, that is.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Seriously, this was a real rape case we discussed here a while ago! A woman was asleep and her husband's brother came in the room and had sex with her. It wasn't until he was finished and left that she saw it was the brother and not the husband. We had a big debate about whether or not it was rape. I can't find the thread, though.
ARG! I totally remember this thread. There was a entire discussion about whether or not various snopesters would be able to tell the difference.

ETA: Here is the discussion, which is a seperate thread:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread...768#post171768

Last edited by rhiandmoi; 18 March 2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:23 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
ARG! I totally remember this thread. There was a entire discussion about whether or not various snopesters would be able to tell the difference.

ETA: Here is the discussion, which is a seperate thread:
http://message.snopes.com/showthread...768#post171768
Thank you! At least we have some evidence that it wasn't a mass hallucination now. What on earth happened to the thread, though?
Old 18 March 2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Thank you! At least we have some evidence that it wasn't a mass hallucination now. What on earth happened to the thread, though?
I have been searching and searching and have found nothing. It must have been purged. I have even been looking in the different forums for all the threads from that time period. It was a really good one too. Of all the threads not to have a traceback link.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:26 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I have been searching and searching and have found nothing. It must have been purged. I have even been looking in the different forums for all the threads from that time period. It was a really good one too. Of all the threads not to have a traceback link.
Too true! There were some great arguments in there on both sides of the debate. And now it comes up again and we can't find it!
Old 18 March 2008, 02:05 AM

Can someone summarize how anyone argued it wasn't rape? Or wasn't creepy?

Re: identity, Hannah Montana is world famous and can hide from the entire bleeding world with just a blonde wig.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:12 AM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
Essentially, she consented to sex, and then took back the consent afterwards. Because she had consented when she thought it was her husband, the consent should still stand, even though the consent was obtained through deceit.

I heartily disagree, but that was the gist of it.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:17 AM
Elsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post

Re: identity, Hannah Montana is world famous and can hide from the entire bleeding world with just a blonde wig.
IIRC, the case was was determined not to be rape by a court because it didn't meet the legal definition by the state (it might have been Massachuetts, but I don't really remember). Anyway, mostly everyone here seemed to agree that it was wrong and creepy and a totally crap thing for the brother to do, but not everyone agreed that it was rape. I think some people stuck to the "well the state says it's not rape so that's good enough for me" argument. But some people were absolutely convinced there was no way that a woman could have sex with someone and not know that it wasn't her husband, ergo she knew who she was hving sex with, consented to it, and it wasn't rape. As far as consent went, some people thought that since she must have known it was the brother as opposed to her husband and she continued to have sex anyway that she consented, while others thought she must have been leading the brother on, if not outright coming on to him, which is what lead him to her room that night, thereby making it an invitation from her and not rape.
Old 18 March 2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Essentially, she consented to sex, and then took back the consent afterwards. Because she had consented when she thought it was her husband, the consent should still stand, even though the consent was obtained through deceit.

I heartily disagree, but that was the gist of it.
There was a similar case here in Scotland (a woman got drunk at a party and went to bed, a man she thought was her boyfriend came into the room and started having sex with her, and she only realised it wasn't her bf after the sex was over). That was held to be rape via fraud (as she wouldn't have consented if she realised who he was at the time). I'll see if I can find the citation later.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:44 PM
ladychrisdean

If I might interject another opinion on the letter itself...

When I read the letter in Dear Abby I couldn't help but wonder if the wife was lying to get attention from her husband or to cause a rift between her husband and his brothers.

Maybe she tried to flirt with one of the brothers and was rebuffed so she told her husband a "story" to make him mad at his brothers.

If this is what happened, I wonder if she got what she wanted or because the husband didn't show any reaction to her if she is mad at him for not shouting out that it wasn't him?

Old 18 March 2008, 02:29 PM
The Nanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladychrisdean View Post
If I might interject another opinion on the letter itself...

When I read the letter in Dear Abby I couldn't help but wonder if the wife was lying to get attention from her husband or to cause a rift between her husband and his brothers.

Maybe she tried to flirt with one of the brothers and was rebuffed so she told her husband a "story" to make him mad at his brothers.

If this is what happened, I wonder if she got what she wanted or because the husband didn't show any reaction to her if she is mad at him for not shouting out that it wasn't him?

Or maybe, if she was getting sick and took Nyquil she seriously could have imagined it! I've had strange dreams on Nyquil and have had to check them out later on to see if they really happened...
Old 18 March 2008, 03:22 PM

Hmmm... the story sounds familiar... let's see:

Zeus, who felt intense desire for the beautiful - but very faithful - Alcmene, fooled her into having sex by taking the appearance of her husband Amphytrion, and thus spawned Heracles.

Same goes for Uther Pendragon who, with Merlin's help, entered Igraine's bed disguising as her husband, the result of this trickery being Arthur the King.

Who knows, maybe a hero will be born soon.
Old 19 March 2008, 01:57 PM

Reading the title of this thread, I couldn't fail to imagine...

Monty Pythons Flying Circus: Strangers in the night
Old 01 April 2008, 01:48 AM

Dan Savage wrote about this whole business in his latest column. Of course, he could smell the BS a mile away:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/S...ove?oid=541805

it's the second part of the article.