snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 09 December 2007, 08:51 PM
grumpygran

Default I will exchange a city for a sunset ...

Quote:
I will exchange a city for a sunset,
The tramp of legions for a winds wild cry.
And, all the braggard thrusts of steel triumphant, for one far summit,
Blue against the sky.
This piece of verse is attributed to somebody variously named Monica or Marie Blake. But I can't find out anything more about her, or the poem the verse is from. Googling just brings up that verse and nothing else, and there doesn't seem to be a poet named Marie/Monica Blake..
Can anybody help?
Old 10 December 2007, 01:17 AM

Glasses

This is the short poem "Barter," by Marie Blake. At least that's what The Columbia Granger's World of Poetry (2007) has to say. No publication date is given. What you've presented is all there is. (It's also included in the 2002 edition of The Columbia Granger's Index to Poetry in Anthologies and the 1962 edition of Granger's Index to Poetry.)

I haven't found much on Marie Blake, whose full name may have been Marie Edith Blake, though it seems that this American poet was writing in the first half of the 20th century and may have been a New Englander (specifically, a Bostonian). Francis Xavier Talbot's The America Book of Verse, published in 1928, includes "Enchantment," "Emmigrant," "Solace," and "The Spire." Another poem, "Remonstrance," was published in the May, 1928, issue of Harper's Monthly Magazine. Wind and Silence, her collection of poems, was printed by Thomas Todd Company (Boston) sometime in the 1940s (perhaps 1944). Although I can't say where "Barter" may have first appeared, it's possible it was included in this 56-page volume of her works.

-- Bonnie
Old 10 December 2007, 01:41 AM

Vanishing

By the way, the full text, as given by The Columbia Granger's World of Poetry, is,

Quote:
I will exchange a city for a sunset,
The tramp of legions for a wind's wild cry;
And all the braggart thrusts of steel triumphant
For one far summit, blue against the sky.
-- Bonnie
Old 19 March 2009, 02:03 AM
angelpdx

Default Publication had to be earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
This is the short poem "Barter," by Marie Blake. At least that's what The Columbia Granger's World of Poetry (2007) has to say. No publication date is given. What you've presented is all there is. (It's also included in the 2002 edition of The Columbia Granger's Index to Poetry in Anthologies and the 1962 edition of Granger's Index to Poetry.)

I haven't found much on Marie Blake, whose full name may have been Marie Edith Blake, though it seems that this American poet was writing in the first half of the 20th century and may have been a New Englander (specifically, a Bostonian). Francis Xavier Talbot's The America Book of Verse, published in 1928, includes "Enchantment," "Emmigrant," "Solace," and "The Spire." Another poem, "Remonstrance," was published in the May, 1928, issue of Harper's Monthly Magazine. Wind and Silence, her collection of poems, was printed by Thomas Todd Company (Boston) sometime in the 1940s (perhaps 1944). Although I can't say where "Barter" may have first appeared, it's possible it was included in this 56-page volume of her works.

-- Bonnie
I have an autographed copy of Winds and Silence that is dated Christmas 1933. So it had to have been published prior to the '40s. It was published by the Thomas Todd Company of Boston. The autograph reads, "To my very dear Lou and Van, with constant affection. Marie."

Barter is found on page 14.
Angel