snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 February 2019, 06:43 AM

6. What holiday does the word "paschal" refer to?

That should be Easter.
Old 13 February 2019, 02:29 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989?
I'm going to say Robert Redford, whether or not that's correct.
Quote:

2. The classic novel Little Women is set during what war?
U.S. Civil
Quote:

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America?
I haven't a clue, because that doesn't sound like goldenrod.
Quote:

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title?
Shogun
Quote:

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm?
Well, I doubt that's Hamillton.
Quote:

Easter
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson.
Nothing about this question makes me interested in knowing the answer.

Seaboe
Old 19 February 2019, 12:47 PM

Hi, all, and happy Tuesday.

Ken Jennings writes:
Thank you for opening the 658th weekly installment of Tuesday Trivia. This email will probably be your trivia highlight for this week, but a close second will be the Jeopardy! All-Star Games, which begin tomorrow. It's the first attempt ever (after fifty years!) at trying Jeopardy! as a team sport, and you will see some familiar faces.

And now, on to ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989?
Harvey Weinstein, who bought Sex Lies and Videotape, Reservoir Dogs, Clerks, and Garden State at Sundance, is no longer welcome at the festival, for obvious reasons. But documentaries about his downfall are!

2. The classic novel Little Women is set during what war?
The March sisters' father (or "Dardee") is off fighting in the American Civil War. BUT ON WHICH SIDE? Just kidding, the North.

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America?
Ragweed pollen ain't nuthin' ta f wit.

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title?
He was the last shogun of Japan, before the restoration of the emperor.

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm?
Evan Hansen, of Dear Evan Hansen fame, heads the cast and wears the cast.

Easter or Passover, you know. Depending.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson.
They each had a pet goldfish. RIP Rudy's goldfish Lamont. (And Albert Finney.)

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What 15th-century Dutch painter was heavily influenced by the Irish knight Tundale and his visions of heaven and hell?

2. What 4,000-year-old word was misspelled in the name of the only horse ever to win the Grand Slam of Thoroughbred Racing, in 2015?

3. In 1935, a Seattle Times reporter coined what imposing nickname for the B-17 bomber?

4. A performer who is "corpsing" is inadvertently doing what on-stage?

5. How many flavors of quarks are there?

6. In traditional cursive writing, like the Palmer Method, what's the only lower-case letter that has both an ascender and a descender?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Kofi Annan, Marie Curie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ivan Pavlov, Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Rutherford, Anwar Sadat, Wole Soyinka, Mother Teresa, William Butler Yeats.

Enjoy!
Old 19 February 2019, 01:05 PM

1. What 15th-century Dutch painter was heavily influenced by the Irish knight Tundale and his visions of heaven and hell?

Hieronymus Bosch

3. In 1935, a Seattle Times reporter coined what imposing nickname for the B-17 bomber?

Flying fortress

Four?

6. In traditional cursive writing, like the Palmer Method, what's the only lower-case letter that has both an ascender and a descender?

f

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Kofi Annan, Marie Curie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ivan Pavlov, Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Rutherford, Anwar Sadat, Wole Soyinka, Mother Teresa, William Butler Yeats.

They have all received a Nobel prize or two
Old 19 February 2019, 01:12 PM

Whalephant

#2 is Pharaoh.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:24 PM

4. A performer who is "corpsing" is inadvertently doing what on-stage? Laughing or (originally?) moving when they shouldn't be.

5. How many flavors of quarks are there? 31 (kidding) I think there are 6.
Old 19 February 2019, 03:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

I'm going to make a valiant attempt at spelling the name of the artist who immediately came to mind: Heronomys Boch.
Quote:

2. What 4,000-year-old word was misspelled in the name of the only horse ever to win the Grand Slam of Thoroughbred Racing, in 2015?
I haven't a clue. Valient.
Quote:

The Flying Fortress. IMO, this is a gimme. I admit my location and employer may influence that feeling.
Quote:

Lying still? Everything I think of is not something an actor would do inadvertently.
Quote:

6, IIRC.
Quote:

f, I think.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Kofi Annan, Marie Curie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ivan Pavlov, Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Rutherford, Anwar Sadat, Wole Soyinka, Mother Teresa, William Butler Yeats
I don't know Kofi or Wole. I can think of things that link pairs of them (like Yeats and Curie)--oh, hey, have they all won Nobel prizes?

Seaboe
Old 19 February 2019, 05:16 PM

1. I think that Hieronymus Bosh (only got the spelling from auto correct) is a Dutch painter, and that's as close as I can get.

2. American Pharaoh, and I don't know how they misspelled it.

3. The Flying Fortress

4. I would guess it means moving when they shouldn't, although that doesn't make much sense.

5. Six. Up, down, top, bottom, strange, and something else that goes with strange.

6. Not positive what they mean, but guessing at which letter is unusual in a way that might fit, I'll say "f"

7. They are all Nobel laureates, I believe, but it isn't that easy, is it?
Old 19 February 2019, 06:32 PM

1. What 15th-century Dutch painter was heavily influenced by the Irish knight Tundale and his visions of heaven and hell? Hieronymus Bosch

3. In 1935, a Seattle Times reporter coined what imposing nickname for the B-17 bomber? Flying Fortress

4. A performer who is "corpsing" is inadvertently doing what on-stage? Laughing

5. How many flavors of quarks are there? 6

6. In traditional cursive writing, like the Palmer Method, what's the only lower-case letter that has both an ascender and a descender? f

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Kofi Annan, Marie Curie, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ivan Pavlov, Teddy Roosevelt, Ernest Rutherford, Anwar Sadat, Wole Soyinka, Mother Teresa, William Butler Yeats. Something about the Nobel Prize, I'm guessing, but I don't know what.
Old 19 February 2019, 07:35 PM

Glasses

To narrow down no. 7, could it be that they were the first of their category (e.g., for Teddy, US President & for Marie, woman) to win a particular Nobel prize?

Seaboe
Old 19 February 2019, 09:28 PM

Seaboe - I think you are correct about how to narrow it down, but not quite right on the categories. I think that Curie was the first Polish winner, Roosevelt the first American, and Gabriel Garcia Marquez the first Columbian. I didn't think of that before, but I'm assuming the rest fall into line (I'm also assuming on the first Columbian, but I think it's correct.)
Old 19 February 2019, 10:01 PM

Baseball

1. I don't know my Dutch artists. I was in the Rijksmuseum and saw hundreds. I'll guess Rembrandt.

2. Pharoah. I have a buddy with this name.

3. Was that the Liberator?

4. I dunno. Collapsing and laying on the ground.

5. Four. I don't know but four sounds good.

6. I'm really dredging up old memories. I want to say 'f'.

7. All won the Nobel prize as part of a group.

1 for 7 this week. Not a good week. Even my guesses are long shots.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:22 PM

1. What 15th-century Dutch painter was heavily influenced by the Irish knight Tundale and his visions of heaven and hell? Bosch.

3. In 1935, a Seattle Times reporter coined what imposing nickname for the B-17 bomber? Flying Fortress.

4. A performer who is "corpsing" is inadvertently doing what on-stage? Laughing or otherwise breaking character.

5. How many flavors of quarks are there? Uhh... only one? Richard Benjamin from that short-lived sci-fi comedy show in the late 70s? No? I have no idea then...

6. In traditional cursive writing, like the Palmer Method, what's the only lower-case letter that has both an ascender and a descender? F.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
They each had a pet goldfish.
Ha, I didn't bother to white out that answer because I said it mostly as a joke, but it was right... I'm not sure I can really claim credit though!

1. Hieronymus Bosch.

2. I know nothing about horse racing but I'm intrigued to know the answer about the word...

3. Must be Flying Fortress.

4. Laughing or giggling.

5. A physics question! Six. (Up, down, charm, strange, top and bottom - or truth and beauty, as alternative names that didn't catch on).

6. I'm not sure what American handwriting traditionally looks like, but f I suppose? That's the only one that I write that way in my own handwriting.

Quote:
I know who most of them were, for once... several were Catholic I think, but I don't know if all were, or if that would be considered unusual. (I suppose it wouldn't be the predominant religion in most places they come from, so possibly). The only other idea I have is something to do with seeing visions but that's a bit of a vague guess.
Old 20 February 2019, 06:49 AM

I'm not even sure I'm in the right century: Breugel

Flying Fortress

WAG: Standing around saying nothing when s/he's supposed to speak her/his next line.

Two: Up and Down.

They were the first of their respective nationality or gender to win an acclaimed international prize. No, I've got no idea.