snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 25 July 2018, 06:58 PM

Tantrum Of DVTs and learning about compression socks

Twenty years ago, I had a DVT in my right leg. I spent a few days in the hospital making sweet sweet love to an IV filled with Heparin, and was on Coumidan for a few months after that. Took a daily aspirin for years after that. Fast forward to this past Friday when I woke up with a god-awful cramp in my left leg. Yup, it was back. Why it chose my left leg this time I'll never know. Oh, apparently I've got two clots because why not?
I'm recovering now, and was advised to buy compression socks. So far the pair I'm wearing now don't feel very compressiony, so I guess I have to get a pair with a higher compression level. The PA and I had a long talk on Monday about how they work and what to look for.
I'm also on Xeralto, and yes it's damned expensive, but I'd rather spend that money on the medicine than on a hospital room. There are no cats in the local hospital to snuggle up with at night. What kind of hospital is that???
Now if this WTF menstrual period would end (on an anticoagulant? Dream on)! hopefully before my appointment with the gyno on Friday.
Old 26 July 2018, 01:28 AM

I'm sorry to hear about this all happening, Dawn! I have no idea what Xeralto is or how much it would cost but I'm glad you're trying to take care of yourself.
Old 26 July 2018, 12:05 PM

It's one of the newer blood thinners on the market; it does not have as much dietary restrictions as warfarin, among other things.
Old 26 July 2018, 01:40 PM

Glasses

Dawn, I wear compression socks all the time. These days, there are a lot of fashionable (at least, not butt-ugly) ones out there. I assume you know how to roll them on, given your experience.

Seaboe
Old 26 July 2018, 03:53 PM

Ambulance

I had lung clots at the end of May and have been put on another new anti-coagulant - Eliquis. It would also be quite expensive if I didn't have Medicare prescription coverage, so I truly sympathize.

As to the socks, I like the kind that zip up the side. I can ease my way into them. Mine are European flesh toned, i.e. beige, so even if I'm wearing a skirt they don't stick out badly. I bought mine at a local superstore for about $12. They are quite supportive, but also quite hot in June and July.

Good luck with that and I wish you swift recovery.

Morning
thinks all hospitals should have prescription cats and dogs delivered by the pharmacy for when things get really bad.
Old 26 July 2018, 04:14 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Dawn, I wear compression socks all the time. These days, there are a lot of fashionable (at least, not butt-ugly) ones out there. I assume you know how to roll them on, given your experience.

Seaboe
No I don't; I didn't even think about them until the PA strongly suggested it. I've got some on order from Amazon; I was able to get some locally, but they feel more like trouser socks and that's how I've been putting them on.
After seeing the ones listed on Amazon, I'm really amazed how many people wear them and for what reasons (sports, yoga, pregnancy etc).

Did you get your socks online or at a local place? Target doesn't have squat and CVS, not so much.
Old 27 July 2018, 02:13 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
thinks all hospitals should have prescription cats and dogs delivered by the pharmacy for when things get really bad.
Deploy a box of kittens! STAT!
Old 27 July 2018, 02:54 AM

Mouse, that would probably work on me.

DawnStorm, glad you're recovering, and sorry you're having to deal with all this.
Old 27 July 2018, 02:20 PM

Glasses

I've bought compression socks online, at REI, and at the Las Vegas Sock store. You can find them all over the place.

With the more compressive socks, you can't just pull them on as you'd do regular socks. Easy way to put them on--turn them inside out down to the heel cup. Put the sock on your foot (making sure to get all the wrinkles out, but also make sure your heel is in the heel cup), and roll them up your leg.

I started wearing them when I was having problems with water retention. Now I wear them exclusively when I travel, and in my regular sock rotation at home because they stay up and are comfortable.

Seaboe
Old 27 July 2018, 06:47 PM

Teacher

Seaboe sold me on compression socks when we were in Finland last year. I'd bought some before for a trip to Walt Disney World, but I couldn't figure out how to put on one pair, and the second had very little compression, so I tossed them.

She showed me how to roll them on from the toe up, and kindly lent me a pair for the last portion of our trip, and I was convinced. I was given a nice pair (by Seaboe, surprise!) for Christmas, and have since purchased a few more. I don't wear them all the time, but when we're doing a lot of walking or on a long flight I will definitely use them.
Old 27 July 2018, 10:46 PM

I just had a diagnosis of DVT 4 weeks ago and started Xeralto. Over $2000 for a 3 month supply but insurance is covering most of that. Went to a vein doctor and he gave me a pair of REAL compression socks. They go all the way to the top of my leg. I can't put them on by myself. So I am wearing calf length compression socks I bought some time ago. I will try the above hints for putting them on. Can I get a collective UGGH!
Old 27 July 2018, 10:57 PM

I had to start wearing compression socks when I started Physical Therapy -- my doctor said "get any socks you like. as long as they are knee-high and VERY tight." I got schoolgirl knee socks from Target and at $1/sock, they beat the budget of official compression socks at $25/copay per pair. Plus they are pretty cute.

Might not work if you're not as short as I am but these reach my knees just fine.
Old 30 July 2018, 02:18 PM

Glasses

I would like to thank (and give credit to) the two post-breast cancer women in my walking group who taught me about putting on compression clothing. They both wore long compression sleeves when walking (to help battle the swelling that is a common side-effect of mastectomies).

Seaboe
Old 30 July 2018, 06:40 PM

Icon81

Saw my doctor last Friday; she wants to do another ultrasound in three months. Once she knows that the clots are indeed dissolved, she'll recommend the socks. Don't want to wear them now, lest a piece break off and travel elsewhere. She's also thinking of referring me to a hematologist.

I still have a bit a cramp in my left leg, but the swelling has gone down. I'm also trying to figure out to eat healthy given the fact that I cannot eat raw fruits or veggies. Hello grill and stir fry!
Old 31 July 2018, 12:29 AM

Can't or won't?

Since this is meant to be joking, no response is required or needed. I accept your statement as is.
Old 31 July 2018, 11:22 AM

Bang Head

Richard W-can't.

Trust me, it's frustrating.